I grew up loving this show! I was 12 when Zoom premiered. I sent a picture I drew, but they never shown it on TV. Thank you so much for posting, Tommywhat great memories this one photo conjured up for me!!!! TVparty.com has a decent one page fans history of the show. YOU LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME :). Henry Becton, former president of WGBH: Back then, creativity was encouraged, and you could try risky things, and nobody would fault you if you failed. Left to right Nina, Christopher Sarson, Nancy, Tracy, Leon, Ann, Joe and Tommy White. Jon Reuning - is a NYC playwright and co-founder of the United Stages. Mid Year Check In The year is half over already. Enjoyed the reunion picture! I WAS SO HAPPY TO SEE THIS PHOTO. RELATED: The Cast Of 'Baywatch' Then And Now 2021. Ive bought her jewelry; you can find it on Etsy. In 1997, WGBH released the video and book set Best of the 70s and ZOOMers RevisitedWhere Are They Now? Watching ZOOM when I lived in Palo Alto, I knew I was moving to Boston and decided I had to work at WGBH when I got there where we met and briefly worked together, then knew each other again when we both lived in LA. Save Page Now. Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images. And, all the best to the cast members! Much appreciated, Jay! I used to get so excited when the Zoom kids would sing, Lets roll out the barrel and find out whats inside today! Theyd sing this sprightly ditty as the opening to reading viewers letters on the air. would love to keep in view of how youre still doing. With my two sisters and our friends we would reenact the shows and we each got to be our favorite character. In 2008, WGBH released a two DVD set ZOOM: Back to the '70s. Unlike other children's fare at the time, it was, for the most part, unscripted. That woman turned out to be Edith from Zoom. They were great kids! Tracey Dunlap 6. Where is Bernadette? Moms started to go back to work, families were splitting up, and the innocence of the 60s was disappearing. So many warm and heart-touching memories. https://www.bernadetteyao.com/. I really liked this this show. website (Zoomboymike.com). I live in NYC now. The performers in the original series were known for wearing striped rugby shirts and jeans. You made a crappy childhood bearable. And the book had a recipe for Challah in it. Sincerely, Maria Saia Martin. Zoom (TV Series 1972-1978) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more. MyComicShop. Inspired by educational shows like Sesame Street and The Electric Company, but designed to give the kids who . The show was revived in 1999 and aired on PBS until 2005.[3]. Thank you! It aired during a very different time, the early to mid 70s, when a cultural shift was taking place. [11] On January 28, 2022, original executive producer Christopher Sarson and members of the first cast appeared in online video chats,[12] followed on February 2, 2022 by a chat with Sarson and cast members from the second and third seasons. Thats my generation. Many wrote in asking for specific ZOOM cards, which contained information about activities highlighted on previous episodes; these viewers generally included a SASE, or self-addressed stamped envelope, in anticipation of a reply. Over the course of a week in September 1971, the station aired it every evening as a test. I totally loved this show growing up ! Christopher Sarson, a British-born Boston transplant who earlier helped bring Masterpiece Theatre to WGBH, originally pitched the idea to WBZ and even shot a pilot for a show called Zoom-In featuring a few children, local TV personality Rex Trailer, and a baby elephant. They become household names. From 1976: What Makes WGBH Crackle With Creativity? A trip down memory lane! In 1977, Rounder Records released Zoom Tunes, featuring cast members from the fourth season. ", Mister Rogers is surrounded by kids in a Florida college's new statue, What's making us smile? (I directed the first three seasons.). Despite their current ZOOM Rap subjects like trips to the doctor, mortgage payments, and the kids, the Zoomers still keep in touch and manage to get together now and then. I remember Zoom from the 1972-73 season. By popular demand, Bernadette eventually explained on the show how to perform the move.[6]. Really great memories. The program also had various language games, including Ubbi-Dubbi, where the syllable "ub" was added before each vowel sound in each syllable of each word ("H-ub-i, fr-ub-iends," etc.). Etc. My favorite thing about Zoom was "it's time to roll out the barrel" and "Fannee Doolee". The show was filmed in WGBH studios in Allston, so most Zoomers were Boston natives. Why is it that they just dont make kids like us 70s kids anymore (including mine). A fine 21st century updated ZOOM was broadcast on PBS from 1999 to 2007. An absolutely wonderful time in my preteen/teen years. According to Paris, it was the adults who were reading those letters, not the young Zoomers. Thanks for remembering ZOOM as we approach our FIFTIETH anniversary !!! For 50 years, GBH has been producing childrens media that both empowers and entertains and it all began with one of the most iconic programs ever to air on public media. Produced at public television station WGBH in Boston, ZOOM was one of the most successful non-commercial childrens series of the 1970s. It was originated and produced by WGBH-TV in Boston. They were one of us. But, as you can imagine, thats a lot harder to do than it sounds. I loved that show as a kid. I loved the it! I can see that it looks like youre using a cane now. You gotta zoom, zoom, zoom-a zoom.". The imagination was delightful, not at all pedantic. The cast joked around, sang and danced, played games, spoke Ubbi Dubbi and demonstrated how to make crafts. I watched the show from beginning to end, and in a sense Zoom was ahead of its time. Thank you for sharing. Im from the first generation of Zoom fans, (1972) and remember watching that first episode and being in wonder of all the amazing things the Zoomers did. The program featured its own language, Ubbi-Dubbi, where the syllable "ub" was added before each vowel sound in each syllable of each word ("H-ub-i, fr-ub-iends," etc.). Bernadette Yao 5. It makes me feel like a kid again. A lot of people I know have never heard of it because it was on public access television. A 50th anniversary celebration would be amazing! The mail-in request became a pop culture reference for its music exhortation to "Write ZOOM, Z-Double-O-M, Box 3-5-0, Boston, Mass 0-2-1-3-4: send it to ZOOM!". Then hear from original cast members as they share their favorite memories and relive some of your own favorite moments as we feature short clips from the original season. Maura Mullaney-lask - known to be an Amtrak conductor. Even my brother, who was sixteen years old, watched it with me. Looking forward to a full reunion. The young Zoomers were only identified by first names, and in the early seasons half the cast were replaced every six months, allowing a set of veteran cast members to help new members become accustomed to the show. What a sweet treat to come across this picture. Edith Mooers - was showing signs of genius in math earlier in childhood, won prestigious academic awards in mathematics as a university undergraduate, and went on to earning a Ph. That summer my friends and I gathered wood from all over the neighborhood invaded our dads nail supply and built our own tree house. GBH has been revolutionizing media since Day One, beginning with the experimental ZOOM and continuing with Arthur and Molly of Denali. To send us out, here are the closing credits from Season 3. follow on MastodonPrivacy Policy | Terms of ServiceAccessibility Statement | Affiliate Disclosure, Powered by Laughing Squid Hosting and WordPress VIP 1995-2023 Laughing Squid LLC, all rights reserved, Chicken John Is Selling His Legendary San Francisco Warehouse, Sweet Child O Mine Played as a Dire Straits Song, Pianist Accompanies His Neighbors Honking Car Alarm, Middle School Band Covers Sweet Child O Mine, Popular Beers That Are No Longer Available, Wobbly Kitten Shows His Joy With Adorable Kicks, Managed WordPress at Laughing Squid Hosting, Guitarist Stanley Jordan Plays a Mindblowing Harmonic Cover of Eleanor Rigby in 1986, Timelapse of Leafcutter Ants Dismantle a Rose, Firefighter Adopts the Cat He Rescued in the Rubble of the Turkish Earthquake, 1,000 Musicians Play Three Classic Punk Songs, How Barnaby Dixon Makes His Puppets Move Naturally. Both versions were produced by WGBH-TV in Boston. Im emotional, I remembered luis(not in photo) and tracy then they all started coming back to me thanks for all the memories. When I am not managing servers and fixing flaws, I write about it and other interesting things on various blogs. (ISBN 1578072077). He really appreciated the bread, and the fact that I honored both of our traditions. Joe Shrand Nina Lillie Kenny Pires Tracy Tannebring Nancy Tates Tommy White Jon Reuning Maura Mullaney Kenny Pires Ann Messer David Alberico Nancy Tates Jay Schertzer Tracy Tannebring Maura Mullaney Luiz Gonzales Ann Messer David Alberico Bernadette Yao Jay Schertzer Leon Mobley Edith Mooers Luiz Gonzales Lori Boskin Danny McGrath Bernadette Yao . [1][2] Inspired by educational shows like Sesame Street and The Electric Company, but designed to give the kids who watched it a voice without adults on screen, it was, for the most part, unscripted. I loved all the kids in the first 2 casts It really brought back a very innocent time in my life Thanks. Start-up, and Expanding. website (Zoomboymike.com) John Lathan - Guest in The West Wing and he was a member of the Engine Crew on Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? *Those were NOT Zoe's children, she's a Aunt, not mom! What a great thing you all gave us and what a positive vibe in my childhood! Wow! Can't Get Enough ZOOM?Then don't miss a follow up virtual event, Wednesday, February 2, 7pm, featuring even more of your favorite ZOOMers including Jay, Ann, Maura, Leon, Bernadette, Lori and Donna! I remember that, I got to look it up and show my little girl. What he been up to since the show? They were in the hands of adults. ZOOM is a half-hour educational television program, created almost entirely by children, which aired on PBS originally from January 9, 1972 to March 24, 1978. WGBHs upper echelons of management at that time were, on average, under 30 years old. Two books for children were based on the 1970s Zoom series: On December 1, 1998, WGBH released the video-and-book set Best of the 70s and Zoomers Revisited Where Are They Now? So, we were young, we were inculcated by the cultural trends of the late 60s and early 70s. Christopher Sarson produced ZOOM at WGBH studios in Boston from 1972 to 1974. The fans would love the whole ball of wax! There were two books published for children that were based on the 1970s ZOOM series: In 1997, WGBH released the video and book set Best of the 70s and ZOOMers RevisitedWhere Are They Now? Shrand believes those bonds were apparent to viewers and helped model that "you can be who you are in a group of people who respect you and value you, and that allows you to trust. 50 years ago, 'Zoom' spoke to children about their real lives. But it really was his Roy Desoto, first on Adam-12 then in the cast of Emergency!, that shot Kevin to fame. On October 28, 2008, WGBH released a two-DVD set, Zoom Back to the '70s. Zoom: With Maura Mullaney, Edith Mooers, Mike Dean, Luiz Gonzales. Were currently talking with GBH about plans for some sort of celebration next yer, the 50th Anniversary!! While I liked all of the Zoomers,my favorite was Nancy. Zoom is an American television program for ages eight and up, created almost entirely by children. Many years ago, while shopping at the Burlington Mall, a woman approached me and said that she remembered me from WGBH. 50 years ago, 'Zoom' spoke to children about their real lives. Me too-serious crush on Tracy! Our latest news . I have many fond memories of you. He is an awesome husband & loves the Lord! If you and Michael could convince Zoompapa to return to Boston, that would be awesome! ZOOM was a half-hour educational television program, created almost entirely by children, which aired on PBS originally from January 9, 1972 to February 10, 1978. Tighe began working in show business in 1967 as an extra in The Graduate. She grew into a beautiful and elegant white duck that lived long past her life expectancy. The cast often performed barefoot in Seasons 1 and 2 but wore shoes from Season 3 on. A few weeks ago, I discovered a YouTube channel that has full episodes! Zoom, the childrens program with the infectious theme song that first aired a half-century ago, took an odd turn at the very beginning. Watching the reruns, there is a bit of a melancholy vibe to it all, and that realism is what made it work.