If not for the fact they made her into a Jewish stereotype. The player is driven to suicide due to a callout post from cirava after they accuse the player of copying them, Theres a legit slave owner character that the fandom insists on defending no matter what. Hi. Its a contemporary text that carries the history of Hussies work and online life for better and for worse. 36.87%. When I said "Hussie created them that way for a reason", this doesn't mean "Hussie agrees with literally every awful thing in Homestuck" despite what some people seem to think that's what I'm saying. Tavros treatment in homestuck is also disgusting, in all honesty. We have different media, slang, food, hobbies, etc, so Hussie's references soared straight over my head. Up until researching this post, I did not know much about ableism, and Ive learned a lot, but I am super sorry if Ive gotten anything wrong in the process of writing this. Cart; chantelle jamieson married 164 Followers. I saw a lot of promise in Johns relationship with Roxy. I wrote in second person. Take later. I asked Hussie if he thinks everyone should just log off. Copyright issues; unlike many, more mainstream (and powerful) content producers who kind of give convention artists alleys the big shrugaroo, a small buisness like What Pumpkin LLC, the company that sells Homestuck merchandise, does not have the luxury of being able to afford turning a blind eye to fan produced content, and is thus very strict about people selling fanmade Homestuck content. Please also read our Privacy Notice and Terms of Use, which became effective December 20, 2019. Anyway, were left to assume Lord English is defeated, but we never see it happen and we never see how it happens. Take later. And, most problematically, they do so without his consent, waiting until he is asleep to forcibly cut off his legs and replace them with the robolegs. Thewhirlwindofanarticledropsyou on a plush cushion of narrative airexactlywhereyoustarted,butolder,wiser,andaround whole20 minutesshorterontime. From $23.00 Dance Shirt (White) *LAST CHANCE* Brunetto-4%. Because that's how they are treated on Alternia. Our more overpowered characters fell to the wayside so we could tell the stories of characters who had to face a conflict or struggle to get what they wanted. Like who? Rufioh, dead 19 year old hitting on aradiabot, aka aradia as a permanent dead 13 year old. Welcome to Alternia. N/A. I thought we were more on the page of "Hussie is terrible because of recent incidents like the released emails between the moderation team and him", Man like almost every single criticism this person presents can be explained away with one of 3 responses. It is compelling, funny, genre-busting contemporary art. I've been dealing with this stuff for years--just this very small, specific subset of the law in question--and I still ask our legal counsel for clarification or confirmation fairly often, because it's not always straightforward. While he declined to be quoted directly, he feels that the video missed important contextualization that he had intended to provide to the YouTuber in a conversation. DISH network users facing authentication or login issues. No Disney-style moral to repeat to your children. In the first chapter of Psycholonials, Zhen, the novels main character, shoots and kills a cop. Its digitally illustrated and lets you click through like you would in a narrative game. Back then, fans popularized in-character discussions where fans could roleplay characters through an online chat. If so, then there's nothing "wrong" with that, because they had no way of knowing they are related. In Meat, like in pretty much the rest of the back half of the comic, shes in a coma, her body puppeteered by other characters. WebSnowman is the eighth member of the Felt. If I release a book full of just Nazi shit but end it by saying "BTW these aren't my views I was writing as a character lol" I can't use that to cover my ass for writing a book full of Nazi shit. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Not formally, and nowhere near as dangerous as more conventional cults can be, but close enough to draw meaningful comparisons. Some intentional, some not. I can say knowing how things turn out, when possible, is cool. Wi-Fi 6E is the latest Wi-Fi technology that provides faster speeds, lower latency, and improved overall network performance. Also feel free to send me ideas of things youd like me to cover! Fuck you. Even worse, Hussie confirming dersecest to be a canon ship in a doomed timeline in the most recent homestuck book, which is better explained in this post. I think one of the most impressive things about the webcomics music is how much of it there is (a lot of much there is, thats how much). Please our crops are dying Cohen: yep! As are the characters. As long as he is in a certain proximity of the storys events, he not only becomes the narrator (literally already been done), but the author himself, capable of willing events into the story simply by narrating them to himself. He doesnt let characters act like their nature would suggest, and instead manipulates them to fulfill some larger purpose. You mean I cant wear the same thing I wore when I was younger? To him, a reluctant cult leader will withdraw from the spotlight and rarely address their followers. This caused such a huge blowup in the fandom that Hussie eventually changed the line to "I feel so peachy". Why it matters: Silvergate had an unusually strong balance sheet but Albeit, important, weighty fanfiction elevated by the very fact they exist on homestuck.com and not on myI mean someonesGoogle Docs account locked away somewhere, but fanfiction nonetheless. Or is Nepeta actually autistic? And then Obama shows up. Vriska herself is a huge controversy (i.e. And then they have a kid who she abuses. March 3, 2023. (not sure on the proper wording for this, if theres better wording let me know and ill change it) As a result of his accident, he is constantly babyed or harassed by other characters. I appreciate OP for trying to throw stuff like this back in the face of the people who make it because seriously. So its not that Im saying fandom is all bad, instead Id just say that the appearance of anything positive about fandom should be treated with suspicion, and as if it could become destructive at any moment for any reason. Alternia, at least at first, is a dark joke about our real-world society. Personally, whatever his previous works may have been, I think he's done a wonderful job creating a wide variety of strong female characters. The mock content warnings that show up at the beginning of the epilogues are not mock anything I don't think writing off Hussie as a person for his work is at all fair. I know there are more, I'll update this list when I remember them. than to disturb the comfortable and comfort the disturbed. Andrew Hussie! "Babyed or harassed"? Dirk uses his position as the author to berate characters he doesnt like. This is just a single example of how bootleg items (because yes, even if they're being made with love and sold with respect for the original creator, they are bootleg items) can directly influence a small business' decisions and bottom line. Meat, like Lord English, is already here. Hussie said he returned to the 140,000 word long draft, cut the story in half, and tried to make it feel like something legitimately worth reading to anyone who crossed the full span of 2020s madness.. hating her or not hating her and liking her as a character and oh my god can we please stop talking about Vriska). Weirdly, copyright law is an area of knowledge where people seem to feel completely sure giving their thoughts/opinions no matter how little research they've done on the subject. I do. WebA tale about a boy and his friends and a game they play together. And then his dead sister, Calliope, from another timeline where she becomes super strong, shows up to try and stop him. N/A. Being a recluse can suppress cultism in some ways (by not having someone at the top constantly throwing red meat to a hungry base, which inflames obsession and radicalism), Hussie said, but in other ways I think cryptid [sic] behavior can intensify cultism. But maybe that's just my take. No one considered it a slur yet. They eventually date in Candy, but it turns into a lopsided, unhealthy marriage and subsequent that prevents him from fully processing the fact that he is trans. I don't see it. This is not so much directed at you, fiveforchaos, but since this sort of misconception comes up frequently I figured I might as well step in. If Im Hussie, I use the epilogues to tie up lose ends and put the story to rest, not start this whole other tangent about what canon really means and how all your favorite characters are actually awful people. It makes the story feel cyclical in a good way. First, Tavros Nitram is treated abhorrently in Homestuck; his disability (he is in a wheelchair, paralyzed from the waist down) is oftentimes depicted in a hilarious way to try and make the audience laugh. Here's a post discussing it. Yes. I remember having an unsettled feeling in the early days of the pandemic, Hussie told Polygon over email, seeing that probably hundreds of thousands of people were about to die due to a willful mishandling of the crisis, and the population appeared very listless, as if it was about to sit back and let that happen without putting up much of a fight., Hussie decided that the comatose feeling America was giving him would make a good foil for a much more outlandish, escapist sort of revolutionary scenario that examined what such a revolt might look like in this era.. The fact that Homestuck isn't an anime makes them unpopular at anime conventions, despite things like video game and doctor who costumes being accepted in part because And thats the trimmed down version of the trimmed down version. They dont have a concept of incest and I wouldnt be surprised if they werent bothered by age Gaps either with how impersonal their mating is. Calliope and Dirk at times fight for control of the narrative, Dirk engineering the story to fit his purposes, and Calliope trying her best to let events play out as they would naturally. Oh yeah also you link to ipgd's post with Cool Dude and Stoner Lou, which, for context, is a direct parody of Shredded Moose--you really need that context to understand CDASL. Hussie: lets go on this journey of discovery together. The story feels like a retelling of the hell-year that was 2020, but Hussie started drafting the story back when everyone was just starting to be stuck inside for the first time. There's a lot of back and forth about this headcanon because on the one hand she's a swimmer, and so the reasoning goes she should be fit, on the other hand, she does spend a lot of her time in the deep sea, and has evolved to do so, which might mean she has a fair amount of blubber. She is secure in who she is, complete with her disability, without the desire to be fixed or normal. Despite this small, impressive moment, Homestuck is, overall, extremely ableist and disrespectful toward its disabled characters, and real persons with disabilities. Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty is the latest product to feel the review bomb burn. Yes, Vriska did that. WebRead MS Paint Adventures. what better profession is there in this world? The interactive story of Homestuck strung out to epic proportions it is over 8,000 pages long and ran from 2009 until 2016. Web1,362,830. Homestuck has three characters with definite disabilitiesTavros, Terezi, and Solluxthough for the purposes of this article, I will focus on Tavros and Terezi as, ever since Sollux has become blind, we simply have not had much screen time with him to merit analysis at this point. You know where else that happens? While the "fat!Vriska" joke is still prevelant in the fandom, Vriska tends to be portrayed as fairly skinny in the fanart, and it's Ferferi who's often drawn as fairly chubby (as is Jane, but she's a bit less controversial). I read the links, and I don't see it. EVERYONE IS DEAD). It wasn't even that funny! In the final act of Homestuck were told the artifact defeats Lord English, and were told he dies after getting sunk in a black hole. Dont try to make me part of some angry mob. A hole in plot, if you will. The Homestuck Discord exists at https://discord.gg/homestuck if you want to chat with fellow fans. While weve seen characters manipulate time before, Lord Englishs control over all of time in all of its forms is so absolute, his presence in the narrative is already guaranteed. And then theres this game in the mail. The self-ingratiating, self-referential, over-indulgent drivel that poured onto the page? We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our site, show personalized content and targeted ads, analyze site traffic, and understand where our audiences come from. Volume 18 comes with a developer warning, showing fully that theyre aware of how fucked up this is. But there are uncomfortable aspects to it. Like the story isnt coy about it. They all have the same mother (Grub). What Pumpkin, unlike Hasbro, is not a media giant with multiple branches and properties under its wings; it's a (very) small business with a very direct relationship between items sold and revenue made. Submit fanart, cosplay and discussions of all kinds! People actually pull a bigger fit about the fact that it was retconed than they ever did over the original joke. Dead Calliope, however, has powers related to narrative creation to combat the narrative destruction of Lord English. Yeah, honestly the content of these docs probably says a lot more about the author of them they they do anything about Andrew Hussie. Doesn't that make you the racist one here? Its impossible to talk about Hussies sentiments toward his following without discussing the following itself. Homestuck feels like a glorified, expensive, vaguely ornery version of my childhood game. My ask box is always open for corrections, things I may have missed, or just general discussions of my posts. The impressive thing is, these couldve easily just been throw-away, cheap, forced, gags. Come on, you disappoint. Point 1: Homestuck is 'problematic' in the way that many people are beginning to dislike. A decade in the future, long after our heroes win the game, and long after our heroes have left Homestuck itself, John is confronted with a choice: he can use his powers to return to canon, fill the plot hole, and stabilize the story, or decide to continue living his life, canon integrity he damned. Wi-Fi 6E is the latest Wi-Fi technology that provides faster speeds, lower latency, and improved overall network performance. cough Cronus cough. "umm that karkat is problematic? People dissect drama around his work and become amateur reporters on matters internal to his company. The Google docs had like 2 or 3 good points and the rest is just bullshit. On revolution, telling stories, and logging off. Im a shipper at heart I mean I like reading well-developed relationships. The largest, most active Homestuck community. Do trolls even have races? Im not sure how much there is thats truly positive about those things, but there is plenty which is negative. Hell no. Gross Margin. Time to be controversial here. WebDreamWorks. By doing this, Andrew Hussie and his collaborators admit to writing fanfiction of their own story. Point 1.5: Many of the arguments presented in the document hinge on the idea that inclusion means approval (see Point 1). Are you sure you aren't the one doing stereotypes here? By choosing I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies and other tracking technologies. And then there are all the people who cant shroud themselves in secrecy. WebHomestuck has three characters with definite disabilitiesTavros, Terezi, and Solluxthough for the purposes of this article, I will focus on Tavros and Terezi as, ever since Sollux has become blind, we simply have not had much screen time with him to merit analysis Im not sure if fondly is the word Id use here, but I can regard it. This magic carpet ride of analytical post-epilogue Homestuck fan content has left you feeling exhilarated and yet hungry for more. Theres a bias inherent in that fact alone. The fact that Jewish people are often depicted as having horns as a negative stereotype is a fact i didnt know until this lovely anon brought it to my attention, so that adds onto the antisemitism presented by hiveswap/friendsim! Half of his comments are "N-NO, YOU?" ya. In Candy, everyone gets redemption arcs, and were told everyone lives happily ever after, but its the more brutal of the two options. After around the half-way mark she stops being important, so I was excited to see if she gets any big moments in the epilogues. Two friends who realize they see each other as something more I live for that kind of stuff when its done right. Why pick them out? I'm part of the tumblr community and several others. Yes it is. 2. Leitmotifs will appear again and again in comic in recurring scenarios, creating something more than a callback, but less than full force beat-you-over-the-head-with-it thematic synergy. Okay, so the plot hole is also a cue ball and the whole story is pool and chess and I think blackjack. This is that second one though. On Twitter, creatives, journalists, and anyone with a modest following agonize over what people think they know about them online, and trolls regularly obsess over personal information around topics like mental health. Okay, geez! I just had no idea until you told me just now. And then John implies that its maybe Jakes fault for letting it get as bad as it did? he makes people uncomfortable? When I speak of fandom Im referring to the activity which is more indicative of obsession, hyperfixation, the need for a sense of belonging to a greater movement, and starting to let that feeling shape your identity. Especially assholes brazen enough to supply your own thoughts to you with a subtle perspective shift from first to second person. Commedia Doll'Arte Accusations of certain characters beings Mary Sues. "Queer Eye" star Karamo Brown recently told INSIDER that he thinks the beloved film about a gay relationship, " Call Me by Your Name ," is "problematic as f---." Sprouts' operating income surged 20% to $62 million. But, there is still no ETA for everything to work normally again. Kismessitudes really were just abusive relationships (we never saw a healthy example, the "dead ringer" of a black romance, Spades Slick and the troll's Black Queen, has BQ stab Slick in the eye and cut off his hand and Slick later shooters her. Using the silly word follies, readers can infer that whatever happened to Tavros, in his wheelchair (as readers apparently need to be reminded), they were light-hearted and amusingbecause of his disability. But Hussie was ready for something new, and in his words, anti-cult.. Such a cool set of powers that only works in something like Homestuck. EDIT: Let me clarify here. I can only say that theyre interesting to consider if you happened to have read them. I expected good arguments and I see the same one used 3 times in a row. Some controversy came from the fact that two people donated 10,000 dollars to it to essentially have their fan characters get 1 panel cameos in the comic. OK, so who cares how old they were when they died? What is this threat? Female trolls having breasts. God I cant stand moral guardians like that. The Homestuck Discord exists at https://discord.gg/homestuck if you want to chat with fellow fans. This results in a harsh environment with little regard for things like empathy. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. There are pages that break the style of the website, pages that change the CSS are common, and there are pages that change their formatting to fit different content. Last year, the worlds S.U.V.s collectively released almost a billion metric tons of carbon dioxide. A cryptid leader leaves a major vacuum of content, direction, messaging, personal information, all the stuff a frenzied cultist craves. Both options ultimately leave someone somewhere dissatisfied. The character doesn't exist though, the author made them say it. Please keep in mind, the characters of friendsim are all minors. From $14.00 End Pose Print. Streamers have to become increasingly savvy about the need to defend personal boundaries without provoking the ire of fans. Homestuck is a product of its time, and even if it wasnt the characters presented are all socially inept children, so of course some weird stuffs Gonna come out their mouth. And finally heres the part that really seals the deal. You must have a lot of time on your hands to look into all that, don't you? You have a staunch policy of trusting pretentious assholes on the Internet. Sure, each panel is a webpage connected by links, but almost every panel only has one link, and thats to the next panel. WebThis kind of perspective on friendship in the internet age is a big part of why Homestuck is rather progressive in its views of interpersonal relationships the relationships among characters are never downplayed because of the medium that they happen in, and its a refreshing take in a world that is constantly tut-tutting the idea of talking to strangers. And then there is the matter of Tavross robolegs, which are built for him after the trolls time in their game session. Pyscholonials isnt about Andrew Hussie and it isnt a Homestuck sequel. The game never mentions it. However, even then, Hussie thinks, a distance from the leader could possibly lead to an even more insatiable fandom. Eventually, she goes on to write a widely read manifesto; taking the reins of a militant revolutionary group that wears goth clown makeup. In real life, if they have the option to choose their rate of fire, professionals like to stick to single-fire mode. I have no official connection with the work. Why didn't you bring it up then? Webi do think there is a lot to say on why homestucks fanbase is (to put it bluntly) so transgender in such a specific and interesting way. Just more things: more plot, more dialogue, more mechanics, more characters, more questions, on and on and on and on until it just runs out of breath and falls over. Gross Margin. I had no idea what Tab was, for example. Smarter bloggers have tried and failed. After the epilogues to the story released in April 2019, the story stands at just over 1 million words. Oops replied to the wrong thing. Homestuck, Problem Sleuth, Sweat Bor and Helpful Jed. Ardata literally has a red room esque set up, where she tortures trolls that she has caged in her hive. In my case, that thing I tried to copy when I started out was Homestuck. Perhaps youll click the first. Where does this leave a generation that grew up online, many of whom were devout Homestuck readers? Hes just a cis man. Obviously, this sort of mockery is considered ableist. We were weirdly concerned with fundamental narrative principles at the time, more so than little kids had any right to be. Webit has some stuff that aged poorly and is very typical of the comedy and internet culture at the time that it was written. Not in the game, so I don't care. Let's go: Meenah died at 19, this iteration of Vriska died at 13. It's not Hussie approving of such activities. She, like Dirk, and like all authors, decides what is relevant and what isnt. Attempts to defeat him with conventional weaponry are doomed to fail because he is already here. Reminder to message me @colorfulconstellations if you would like to apply to be a mod! But understanding that Psycholonials is chiefly an anti-cult narrative should help point to how I view the Homestuck phenomenon. Vriska and Terezi were close friends during their childhood, who on Alternia formed the Scourge Sisters, Team Charge's FLARP rivals. Why dont people who make posts like the original maker of that dig through their own garbage and get on their own case for the stupid stuff they did in the past? Question: Hey hiveswap team and @skullmandible, confirm Lanque as a trans boy yes/no? No one needs me to tell anyone this, but stories can always serve as reminders..