Dove Cameron, who rose to fame playing twins on the Disney Channel series Liv and Maddie, as well as the Descendants, lost her father five years ago. His comeback plans detailed, Who are That Girl Lay Lays parents? What Is Disney 'Descendants' Star China Anne McClain Doing Now? This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. When she was 8, her best friend was murdered by her father, who then murdered his other daughter and took his own life. She admitted that coming out has changed her life and that it left her feeling "really vulnerable." She released her first non-soundtrack song Boyfriend . It truly is beautiful and bittersweet how Dove Cameron has taken the loss of her father and found a way to make his loving memory, and name for her, live on. The "Descendants" star, 25 . News . And I love kids. For Dove Cameron, coming out as bi not only changed her life but vastly improved her mental health, the " Boyfriend " singer said in an interview with E! 2 : the color of the hair of a platinum blonde. ", WhileCameron may not talk about her father much, her fans may be able to learn even more about her dad's life one day if things go as planned. But for actress Chloe Celeste Hosterman, it was a family tragedy that became the catalyst for her name change to Dove Cameron. Her secluded life and career, Who are Gradey Dicks parents? You still teach me lessons every day, and make me laugh as the lessons you instilled at a young age begin to settle into my bones and make more sense. No, what happened in 2011 was what spurred her name change: her father passed away. The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. It is much scarier than being concerned with how you appear. In a tweet, the beautiful actress has explained why she decided to change her name, and it's absolutely heartbreaking. Well, she revealed that she would wear different costumes to school and would "dress up as Johnny Depp every day." Claire and Dove do look alike in that they look like theyre siblings. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement and Your California Privacy Rights. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. I love playing over-the-top characters. In the Instagram post, she called him the most beautiful man I have ever known, and my best friend., Cameron explained to her fans, and all of us, that the reason she changed her name to Dove is because it was her fathers nickname for her. Dove Cameron. For decades, many actors and actresses have come up with some very inventive pseudonyms for a variety of reasons, like being eligible to join actors' unions or to avoid being mistaken for other famous faces. Forever your best friend, and your little girl. Cameron was 15 when her own father died by suicide inspiring her to legally change her name to Dove, her fathers nickname for her. Cameron was 15 when her own father died by suicide inspiring her to legally change her name to "Dove," her father's nickname for her. She brought such wit to it. Viewers were captivated by Cameron's portrayal of identical twins Liv and Maddie Rooney on Disney Channel'sLiv and Maddie. He died on July 6, 2019, after having an epileptic seizure in his sleep. She explained the heartbreaking backstory on social media, saying that "Dove" was actually a nickname her dad, Philip Hosterman, used to call her. (Her good friends and lovers refer to her as u201cChloe;u201d it's u201cDoveu201d for the rest of us.) These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. NEXT:What Is Disney 'Descendants' Star China Anne McClain Doing Now? She had to wear a purple wig instead. "I'd really like to write a movie about him one day," she revealed to EW, "because my dad was just the most fascinating human being. 2022 - 2023 Times Mojo - All Rights Reserved 2 Answers The actress was born Chloe Celeste Hosterman, but decided to legally change it when she got into acting. Cameron and Grimmie had a close relationship, and they had even collaborated on the 2015 song "What A Girl Is," alongside fellow artist Baby Kaely. Why did dove cameron change her name? The latest movie news, trailers, reviews, and more. But "Dove Cameron" isn't just the actress' professional moniker it's now her legal name. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". When she was 23, Doves good friend and, Of course, Cameron is more than her tragedies: When she was 14, she and her mother moved to Los Angeles so Dove, who had been, A bisexual Francophile who falls hard and fast, Cameron has always been a romantic. WhenTigerBeatasked her in 2016 if she'd always felt confident going makeup-free, her response was, "Definitely not! It does not store any personal data. "He took his own life, and he also was closeted, which we only found out after he died," the actress told Entertainment Weekly. You set me up for the best life imaginable, and I plan to make your proud every single day and never waste it. And I was going to get to work with kids all the time," she said. Although she dealt with the disorder "a lot," she didn't resort to medication to combat it. So I decided to change it legally in honor of him, which gives me great joy every day that I was able to do something so lasting and permanent to pay homage to his memory.. But when she was 15, she changed her legal name. "So I don't ever really feel full days of that. While her name is certainly becoming more recognizable in the industry, what you might not know is that her birth name isnt actually Dove. In a recent tweet, Dove Cameron reminded us she wasn't born Dove Cameron and the reason she changed her name is heartbreaking. And shes done caring what everyone else thinks. Youve seen her on Disney. In 2016, she posted a touching tribute to her father on her Instagram account, which included a touching yet heartbreaking message. Most people who are close to me call me Chloe, and most people at work call me Dove, because it just got too confusing. Because what a treat, to be able to be someone for kids, to be a good role model, to be a big sister because I never was one.". Her family migrated to Los Angeles when she was 14 and completed her high school from Burbank High . Everyone is grieving the loss of talented Disney Channel star Cameron Boyce who lost his life way too young, including rumored ex-girlfriend Brenna DAmico. I was in high school, I was extremely shy, and I was holding the pen in my. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Indie actress Parker Posey put a female imprint on this sophisticated surname that's still about three times as common for boys but rising for both sexes. Of course, theres a love story, with Mal and Ben as the star-crossed sweethearts who fall for each other far too quickly, in true Disney fashion. [laughs] At the courthouse. Are Dove Cameron and Sofia Carson friends? Why did Dove Cameron change her name? The actress and singer recently spoke with . Which Teeth Are Normally Considered Anodontia. She removes a piece of gum from her mouth and shifts closer to the camera. Her birth sign is Capricorn and raised in Bainbridge Island, Washington. Obviously, [Betsy]'s sexist as fuck, but we say that., The real genius in the performance (no spoilers!) When she was 23, Dove's good friend and. Dove Cameron: Why Did She Change Her Name? The actress confirmed on social media on Friday, Dec. 11 that the pair had broken up in October after four years of dating. Cameron was 15 when her own father died by suicide inspiring her to legally change her name to "Dove," her father's nickname for her. She initially changed it to Riley, but eventually steeled with Emma as it was closer to her real name (via W Magazine). Being friendless can feel isolating, but we're glad Cameron found joy in her solitude. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. For readers who may not know, Dove Cameron, the Disney actress, is in fact a known bisexual. Cameron explained to her fans, and all of us, that the reason she changed her name to Dove is because it was her father's nickname for her. When she was 23, Dove's good friend and Descendants' co-star Cameron Boyce suddenly passed away from epilepsy, at age 20. But my daddy called me Dove/Dovey as a nickname since I was very small, just over a year old. She often shares photos of her father on Instagram, penning thoughts she wishes she could share with him. British actor Alan Cumming was dazzled by Camerons brilliantly self-aware performance. Upon hearing the news of Grimmie's death, which happened just two days before anOrlando nightclub shooting that left 49 people dead, Cameron took to her Twitter to express her grief and anguish over both incidents, tweeting,"I am so sad. (Time to get those tissues! I didn't get to say goodbye, so I changed it in honor of him.". Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. We're glad to hear that Cameron is coming into her own and living life her way. Jo 3y ago LIVE Points 161 Rating is both powerful and what we need right now.. She continued, "I never had a crowd. Chloe loved her dad dearly, and she decided to change her name to Dove to honor him. He had two siblings. (Time to get those tissues!) The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". In October, Thomas and I decided to part ways. Did Dove Cameron wear a wig in descendants? This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Sign up for Yahoo Lifes daily newsletter, the name Dove, and not her birth name Chloe, Women who had ovarian cysts share their stories, A sugar replacement may be linked to heart attacks and strokes, but don't throw it out yet. What the title/chorus actually revolves around is the . These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. Sofia also dated Nolan Gerard Funk and Thomas Law in 2016. Why did Dove Cameron changed her whole name? Her parents influence on her career, Where is Mary Roach from American Idol now? You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. While she's in a much better place these days, she has admitted to feeling down about her appearance in the past. Megan Fox Deletes MGK Off Her Instagram and Posts a Beyonc Lyric, Why Selena Gomez Doesnt Want Her Little Sister Working in Hollywood. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. Are Liv and Maddie real twins? "To the most beautiful man I have ever known, and my best friend," she wrote. White Supremacy Is To Blame For The Buffalo Massacre. She plays Mal, the daughter of Maleficent in Descendants. The Heartwarming Reason Dove Cameron Changed Her Name When She Started Acting, "Dove" was actually a nickname her dad, Philip Hosterman, used to call her. Thats It. However, you may visit "Cookie Settings" to provide a controlled consent. Why did Dove Cameron and Doherty split? Dove Cameron likes to stay busy. Dove Cameron Posts Tribute to Dad on the 5-Year Anniversary of His Death. From insecurities about her looks to a heartbreaking loss in her family, the platinum blonde TV star has dealt with her fair share of suffering all before she even entered her 20s. "I had no friends. But for actress Chloe Celeste Hosterman, it was a family tragedy that became the catalyst for her name change to Dove Cameron. How did Dove Cameron change her name legally? It feels like it would be exhausting, and disappointing, and unnecessarily disruptive to buck against [my image,] she continues. Why did Dove Cameron change her name? The stress of processing her dad's death while being in front of the cameras was just too much for her to handle. With gigs outside of the Disney Channel piling up, including the role of Amber Von Tussle in NBC's 2016 production ofHairspray Live!, she is clearly ready to break free from her squeaky clean child star image and prove to the world that she's a bonafide actress. How long should you meditate as a Buddhist? However, you may visit "Cookie Settings" to provide a controlled consent. Jessica Harrington. Cameron was 15 when her own father died by suicide u2014 inspiring her to legally change her name to u201cDove,u201d her father's nickname for her. "My father always called me Dove," her tweet read. Since then, she has gone on to have roles on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., in Netflix's Dumplin', and even off-Broadway as Cher in Clueless. "There was definitely a time when I [told] my mom, 'I literally think I'm not capable of doing this. That makes me hard to market, and thats what I'm really grappling with right now. Russian Court Denies Brittney Griners Appeal, Upholds 9-Ye Say Goodbye To Macy Gray She Outed Herself As A TERF. But for some, there are more meaningful reasons behind the change, like family ties (such as Guy Fieri honoring his grandpa's name pre-immigration) or Katy Perry optingnot to use "Katheryn" as a stage name. Cameron may be known for her signature bright blonde, but the 25-year-old star is no stranger to a fun dye job. The Descendants star was actually born as Chloe Celeste Hosterman. Since its release on T, I wish he would have just killed me, if I knew I would have to go through this torture, rapper Megan Thee Stallion said last week during an emotional, UPDATE: On Tuesday (Oct 25), a Russian court rejected WNBA star Brittney Griners appeal of her nine-year prison sentence for drug charges. Why did Dove Cameron change her name? "I was alone, and it was during the pandemic. The former Descendants costars went their separate ways in October 2020 but waited nearly two months to publicly share the news of their split. She has an older sister named Claire Hosterman and shes a great performer as well, though not as known as her younger sister is. "I finally got clear-eyed when I realized that Disney Channel is for kids. EMMY NOMINATIONS 2022: Outstanding Limited Or Anthology Series, EMMY NOMINATIONS 2022: Outstanding Lead Actress In A Comedy Series, EMMY NOMINATIONS 2022: Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Comedy Series, EMMY NOMINATIONS 2022: Outstanding Lead Actress In A Limited Or Anthology Series Or Movie, EMMY NOMINATIONS 2022: Outstanding Lead Actor In A Limited Or Anthology Series Or Movie. Cameron was born Chloe Celeste Hosterman on January 15, 1996, in Bainbridge Island, WA. [But] the idea of never being seen is an absolute terror. Fans teared up over learning the backstory of Dove's name, with one commenter pointing out that "every time someone calls you Dove your dad is talking to you.". Love as much as you can. TimesMojo is a social question-and-answer website where you can get all the answers to your questions. Cameron released her first song for Descendants that year, "If Only." Bloodshot / Waste, her first music release, was made available in 2019. I would have to work unnaturally hard to rage against my public image, and there's something really inauthentic about that., If that sounds self-actualized, theres good reason. Claire and Dove do look alike in that they look like theyre siblings. Is Dove Cameron single? I look very conventional today, but I was not, growing up.". The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. Most people who are close to me call me Chloe, and most people at work call me Dove, But there is a through line in my songs: They have a sense of humor, they have a sense of camp, they have a sense of a nudge and a wink.. You know how even the weird kids find a weird crowd? Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. She is the eldest child of the family and older sister to Joey and Parker. Michael Hosterman was his younger brother, and Mary Lyn (Kappert) Hosterman was his sister. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. The Liv and Maddie costars dated for three years. Some of the most devastating moments of her youth included when a group of girls locked her in a janitor's closet and when other students would attempt to trip her as she walked down the hallways. Why Do Cross Country Runners Have Skinny Legs? Bonnie Wallace was born in April 16, 1964 in Baltimore, USA, and holds Bachelor of Arts, as well as a Degree in Business. Both of your girls are following their bliss and living their great adventure. When she was 23, Dove's good friend and Descendants' co-star Cameron Boyce suddenly passed away from epilepsy, at age 20. By clicking Accept All, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. In September 2017, she took to her Twitter to give the sentimental reason as to why she doesn't use her real name professionally. "My father always called me dove," she explained to a fan on Twitter back in 2017. She was able to execute the roles of both characters so seamlessly that viewers were likely none the wiser about the inner turmoil she faced. February 17 2023 12:11 PM EST. Claire and Dove grew up together in Seattle, Washington, and to this day, they share a close bond. In case you were wondering, Dove Cameron isn't actually her real name. In the end, she decided to stick with the show up until it came to an end after four seasons. In another, lengthier IG post, Dove wrote about her own struggles with depression, anxiety, and trauma but also shared that she's working at 'being OK' daily. It represents the four VKs, linked together forever, Evie explained. Unfortunately, Philip died through suicide in autumn, 2011. Two Men Convicted For The 1965 Assassination Of Malcolm X Have Be Actually, Netflix, Content Like Dave Chappelles Transphobic Come Years After Her Death, The Science Community Is Still Treating He Why Black Puerto Rican Women Are Leading an Anti-Racist Media Ren increasingly involved in regional theater. 1 Why did Dove Cameron changed her whole name? You set me up for the best life imaginable, and I plan to make your proud every single day and never waste it. Betsy is a joke. All rights reserved. She explained that "Dove" was actually a nickname her dad, Philip Hosterman, used to call her. Why did Dove Cameron change her name? Cameron was 15 when her own father died by suicide inspiring her to legally change her name to Dove, her fathers nickname for her. "It was a long period of time where I was really struggling with the energy, and the workload, and shooting everything twice, then recording on the weekends, and still sleeping, and having a social life," she said. What supplements should we really be taking? Both of your girls are following their bliss and living their great adventure. Wallace is on good terms with both of her daughters and an active participant in their lives. By clicking Accept All, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. She wrote on Instagram that Dove was her fathers nickname for her. Though suici, Update: Netflix has fired the employee who was organizing an upcoming walkout (set to happen Wednesday, October 20) of trans staffers and allies in protest, In the 1950s, a Black woman named Henrietta Lacks walked intoJohns Hopkins Hospital to be treated for cervical cancer, and her cells would go on to b, While the 2020 Census was essential to many communities across the United States, it held a different meaning for Puerto Ricans. Jay (played by Booboo Stewart) is the son of Jafar (Aladdin). He knows vulnerable people in fandom might not be able to withstand the same pressures that hes had to face. But I loved it.". Dove Cameron is known for her bright blond hair. But despite her emerging success, Dove Cameron opened up about her struggles in the entertainment industry, revealing how she suffers from depression and dysmorphia. Cameron had to deal with yet another tragic event almost five years after her father's untimely passing whenThe Voice contestant and YouTube star Christina Grimmie was shot and killed in St. Petersburg, Fla. by a crazed fan. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. She explained the heartbreaking backstory on social media, saying that "Dove" was. In 1988, Philip married his girlfriend, Bonnie Wallace in Peshawar, Pakistan. This article has everything you would love to know about the celebrity star. Cameron has always used her Twitter to talk about important issues that not only she has faced but that a lot of kids have also experienced. Philip was often quoted saying that being a parent was the best things that ever happened to him and his favorite years in his life was when he was raising his girls. The gunman later killed himself after being tackled to the ground by Grimmie's brother, Marcus, according to CNN. He had bursts of anger, but he was also beautiful and he designed jewelry and went to the Peace Corps." We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Shes motivated by what she describes as a compulsive and deep need to protect [her] humanity, which manifests in candid conversations about mental health, the kind of wisdom that comes from therapy. Is Dove Cameron and Cameron Boyce related? Bonnies marriage didnt work out and she ended up divorcing Philip when Dove was in her early teens. Together they had two beautiful daughters: Claire who was born in 1989 and Chloe (Dove) who was born in 1996. Guys, I really needed to explain something to you, she said to her fans. The actress was born Chloe Celeste Hosterman but decided to legally change it when she got into acting. Over the years, shes gone hot pink, black, red, and purple.