Her voice had an upward inflection. He was right on course, after all, just a little low. And as a hiker, I love a challenging hike thanks for sharing. I never knew that there are close to 54 plane crash sites located in the Smoky Mountains. Not only is Waterrock Knob the trail you need to take to get to the airplane crash, it also offers amazing views of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Point to point with a paved section as well as a dirt and tree root based section. It is a shame so many people can hike here but no one cares to restore the grounds and remove what isn't natural. Experience this 1.7-mile out-and-back trail near Sylva, North Carolina. Your pictures were fabulous! PLANE DOWN A plane crash that occurred in November 1983 is now the end-point for an off-beat hike that starts at Waterrock Knob, one of WNC's most popular outdoor destinations. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. While we were gathered at the crash site more people started to come. If youre planning to make this a weekend trip, I recommend searching on Booking.com to choose a place. How are you!, She responded, I never run into you outside of work., We asked about the crash. You will find the crash site at latitude 35.46354, longitude -83.13207. Thank you for reading! Your email address will not be published. Hey, I said. We all know that North Carolina has much to offer; however, it's home to only one known plane crash site. 8 Best Things To Do In Charlotte North Carolina, Appalachian Trail Day Hike Essentials That You Need, Ultimate Guide to Camping in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, 5 Best Hikes in Mammoth Cave National Park, 7 Reasons Why I am Thru-Hiking the Appalachian Trail, Update: I Am Thru-Hiking the Appalachian Trail in 2022, Appalachian Approach Trail: Everything You Need to Know, How to Visit Chichen Itza: Ultimate Guide for Travelers, Hiking Twenty Mile Loop Trail: Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The path is moderately difficult with roots and downed trees and muddy patches to negotiate. Rethink that selfie. I was touched by her ability to express herself in a way that most people dont. It crashed a little before 6pm at about 6,000 feet. A highly-rated trail for hikers and explorers alike, the trail is two miles . The path is clear and paved for the first bit before turning to dirt and leading up several stone staircases. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. Keep these hiking tips in mind: It is important to remember that the two men on the airplane died in the crash. Much of the eight-seat Cessna 414A is still up there on the mountain. Once you are off the main paved trail, it turns into more of an intermediate hike. It was a dark night and the final radar contact was at 6100 feet and 1 mild from the crash site. While sad, this hike is definitely unique and interesting. This information is added by users of ASN. They also found the frozen bodies of the two victims who had sadly died on impact. The rest of the debris is slowly being reclaimed by the forest or has been carried off by visitors over the years. Make sure when you visit, however, that you take care to follow all safety precautions listed by the park in question. . There is a steep ascent and some of the trails are not well marked. Members of the Civil Air Patrol found the wreckage near the summit of Waterrock Knob Peak a week later. While this hike isnt long, it is difficult. Are you talking about the plane crash site? I asked. Much of the eight-seat Cessna 414A is still up there on the mountain. But, its a wide trail with plenty of room to stop and catch your breath if you need to. The terrain is fairly difficult with a change in elevation of about 600 feet. There are very few small plane crash sites in North Carolina, and you can find one of them hidden deep in the woods on a trail that runs along a ridge. The pilot's blood alcohol level was 0.04. Everything but the engines still remains at the crash site. A moderately difficult two-mile round trip hike from the Waterrock Knob Visitor Center and trailhead in Sylva, North Carolina lead to the wreckage. Say hi to the doggy, she called her granddaughter with a wave of her hand. Maybe the Ranger was trying to discourage us from going on the unofficial hike. Before hitting the trail-head, we ran into a family coming back from the hike. About 2 hours return depending on your pace. OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article. Once at Browning Knob (big obvious clearing on the top of a mountain), there's another trail off to the left, which leads down to the crashed Cessna 414. Waterrock Knob - Milepost 451.2. She looked more like her dad than her Caucasian mother. The wreckage was uncovered by Civil Air Patrol members a week later near the summit of Waterrock Knob. The adventure started at Waterrock Knob. Read more about my story here. Maggie Valley, about 5 hours from Fayetteville. Looking at the satellite view it appears the hike to the plane crash is about a 3-mile round-trip hike, first up to Waterrock Knob and then across the ridge to Browning Knob. And, a Hawaiian woman who I will most likely never see again, held my hand, as if she were one of my closest friends. Here's the general gist of how to get to the crash site: Hike the 0.5 mile path to Waterrock Knob, almost to the top. The hike requires you to hike along the ridge of the mountain, maneuvering between trees, ground roots and boulders along the way. The two men onboard didn't survive the crash. It was an attempt to keep his bearings, which the FAA referred to as up and down altitude excursions. The outdoor adventures found along the parkway include a multitude of trails, visitor centers, and stunning overlooks. In addition to that, hed been drinking a little the FAA reported a blood-alcohol level of .04 percent. You said in your writing of finding plane. People had clearly left their mark over the 36 years. It was also pretty easy to follow the well worn path just by looking as well, but the spray painted markings definitely made it easier. The plane could have made it over the mountain if it had just been about 150 feet higher. from Mike Schoeffel. Waterrock Knob is one of my favorite hikes and its always one that I recommend to visitors. We started early, only 3 other cars in lot. Oh the main graffiti tag is coming off tomorrow. Theres a large free parking area, visitor center for more information on the area, and some beautiful views here so its worth checking out. The white aluminum caught my attention; nestled in a downward section of the mountain in a quiet place among trees and other plant life. Watch premium and official videos free online. This portion of the trail is also fairly difficult and is not recommended for novice hikers or lone hikers. We found out how you can hike to an abandoned airplane crash in North Carolina, and have all the necessary details below. Martin likely would have made it the rest of the way without much incident, had he been a couple of hundred feet higher. This short trail will lead you down to the site of the airplane crash. Here on the mountain side, seats and wreckage were scattered all over the steep terrain. See All . This leads down the mountainside for approximately 200 yards to reach the crash site. Thats so crazy! The elevation change is said to be equivalent to about 68 flights of stairs. Thankfully, though, there are only a few places where you'll stumble upon airplane crash ruins in North Carolina. Graffiti covered the white paint. Follow the yellow markers painted on the trees. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Unfortunately, since the internet has connected everyone. Follow this trail for half of a mile to reach Browning Knob. Some North Carolina Cherokee have been keeping their history alive for decades with a single play. The adventure started at Waterrock Knob. Now it's as worse as it's ever been. Do you remember the terrifying crash of USAir Flight 1016 near Charlotte Douglas International Airport? To start the trail, you simply follow the hike to Waterrock Knob. Download Millions Of Videos Online. Its not something you would climb in or on, but it is interesting to see and take some photos of. It can be easy to get lost or miss the trail that leads to the crash site. *subject to availability **03/27/2020 . What a good movie. Start at the Waterrock Visitor Center at Milepost 451.2 off the Blue Ridge Parkway. We don't recommend it, but you can reach the site by hiking to Waterrock Knob's summit (0.5 miles) and then to the top of Browning Knob (0.5 miles). Just keep an eye out for the small path. Just before the summit, you will see the path to the plane crash on the left. Members of the Civil Air Patrol found the wreckage near the summit of Waterrock Knob Peak a week later. He was just a little low.. The operating hours, policies and procedures of other businesses may change at any time without notice. I crave the forest, the smells, the beauty and especially the healthy feeling of being outdoors. Two of the boys, probably her son and his friend, started howlinglike wild prey from further up the trail . Or perhaps in this case, maybe not quite close enough. There are also restrooms available and picnic tables with gorgeous panoramic views of the surrounding mountains. Plane crash PARKING LOT Waterrock Knob Visitor Center Waterrock Knob Browning Knob 5719 ft 6292 ft 6240 ft Elevations: Waterrock knob parking lot to peak waterrock peak to Browning Knob Browning knob to plane crash .5 miles .7 miles .05 miles distances: When we arrived to the crash site, the scene was completely somber and serene. The trail begins at the Waterrock Knob Visitor Center and continues for a quarter mile up a well-marked, paved path to an observation point . Why did the plane remain? Later we learn there is a hike to a plane crash that can be reach from Waterrock Knob Trail. Dont be disrespectful, dont leave trash behind, dont graffiti the airplane, and dont take anything with you. When you do meet new and interesting people, youll find its like waking up from a sound sleep. While we were gathered at the crash site more people started to come. I asked the family if theyd been to the plane crash. An annual celebration of the region's successful elk reintroduction program. He listened intently. Packing the right day hike essentials is super important for your trip. I love to hike! Sign up for our newsletter and enter to win the second edition of our book. Meteorological conditions at the crash site included low clouds and precipitation. Did you see the plane crash site? Its definitely sad but interesting to see! Fair weather clouds against a pale blue sky and the Great Smoky Mountains waiting for me. GPS coordinates: 3527'37.2N 8308'27.0W. I stayed here and it was just awesome. If they had only been flying a little bit higher, they probably would have reached their destination. Other than graffiti and parts that have probably been moved around from spectators over the years, the wreckage remains nestled on the Southern Appalachian mountain range between Asheville and Cherokee, North Carolina.