During this period, Shannon worked in various professions and obtained a degree in history from the University of Utah, which was one of his proudestachievements. And we were happy to have him help. Create a friendship thread for the deceased. You can send your sympathy in the guestbook provided and share it with the family. Subscribe to our mailing list to receives daily updates direct to your inbox! Mark Hofmann was seriously injured Oct. 16, 1985, when a bomb exploded in his car. He figured it would bring $1 million. It said authorities still considered Hofmann the prime suspect. Shannon is one of the few people who has visited Mark in prison, and reveals how Mark was able to fool a lie detector test! J. Gary Sheets, center, is comforted by his daughter, Katie (Sheets) Robertson, in 1985 after arrivi. There, he even learned how Hofmann passed a lie detector test, he claims in his book, Shannon Flynn: Inside Look at Mark Hofmann.. I didnt think it would be Shannon, but it was, said Tyler Measom, one of the films co-directors. Shannon describes his introduction to Mark Hofmann and his many detailed interactions with Mark. A tape of the proceeding is filed at the Utah State Archives. Rest In Peace Shannon, and may God bless your family. The joy he radiated during college graduations, wedding ceremonies, and the first-time meetings of grandchildren could be felt by all. "My point there was just to be friendly, be a nice a person, give him somebody to talk to and see what I could find out," Flynn said, adding that he took notes after their conversations to try to piece together exactly what happened leading up to and around the bombings. Obituaries. "I think he doesn't know why he did what he did. "It's hard for a lot of people to accept, I'm sure, that my closest friends and even my wife did not know the extent of my fraudulent dealings," he said. Utah to Henry Niel and Edna May (Ingelby) Rasmusen. He organized regular reunions. He is of no value. Flynn was a proud bibliophile, both as a collector and reader. Authorize the publication of the original written obituary with the accompanying photo. "Hence, I guess, you want me to say the bombings would not have taken place. Flynn is one of the central figures of Murder Among the Mormons, which examines the bombings that left two dead and Hofmann injured by his own hand. He was such a character and made me laugh on many occasions. He visited him in prison, Flynn wrote in a book about Hofmann and the bombings. Distractify is a registered trademark. Dear Robyn and family, everything is happening so fast! ". He had studied it his whole life, and his testimony was built on Jesus Christ.. Shannon Flynn Celarek January 29, 1955 December 23, 2022 Share this obituary View/Sign Guestbook| Send Sympathy Card Shannon Flynn Celarek, born January 29, 1955, passed away on December 23, 2022 after a valiant battle against Acute Myeloid Leukemia. She loved her babies and was a wonderful Mother to her 8 children: Debby, Kelly, Continued Salem - James P. Flynn, 66, of Salem, N.H. passed away at Holy Family Hospital in Methuen on Sunday, April 12, 2020 while battling cancer. I hope you understand the goodness of my intentions and the feeling of human fraternity with which I am writing to you. During the first half of the 1980s, Hofmann gained notoriety for discovering, one after another, documents purported to reflect early Mormon history. Offers may be subject to change without notice. I am thankful for the wonderful memories I have of him. Salt Lake City, Utah . She was active in sports, loved nature and animals. Sean Flynn, a man who devoted every ounce of his love and energy into his beautiful family, died Sunday, Aug. 28, at the University of Utah Hospital. ", Adding that Hofmann has "no conscience," Flynn fumed, "He is of no value. ALEXANDRUA, VA -Shannon Cecilia Flynn, 55, of Alexandria, Virginia, passed away Monday, October 17, 2022, at INOVA Alexandria Hospital after an extended illness, due to complications from covid. I'm writing recaps for @RDispatches, and here's my take on the first episode, focusing on framing. He wasn't a bloodthirsty individual, but if he got in a jam, there is nothing to stop him.". .css-26w0xw{display:block;font-family:NationalBold,Helvetica,Arial,Sans-serif;font-weight:bold;margin-bottom:0;margin-top:0;-webkit-text-decoration:none;text-decoration:none;}@media (any-hover: hover){.css-26w0xw:hover{color:link-hover;}}@media(max-width: 48rem){.css-26w0xw{font-size:1.18581rem;line-height:1.2;margin-bottom:0.625rem;}}@media(min-width: 40.625rem){.css-26w0xw{line-height:1.2;}}@media(min-width: 48rem){.css-26w0xw{font-size:1.28598rem;line-height:1.2;margin-bottom:0rem;}}@media(min-width: 64rem){.css-26w0xw{font-size:1.575rem;line-height:1.1;margin-bottom:-0.5rem;}}How To Avoid Unexpected Health Bills, Succession Gift Guide For Fans Of The Roy Family, 'Murdaugh Murders' Mallory Beach: Her Life & Death, This 6-In-1 Vacuum Is $400 Off On Amazon RN. He was not a character on the show youd expect had spent time behind bars although that time was brief. You felt that, and you saw his range of happiness and goofiness and just genuine pain and sadness conveyed on screen. He knew it.. There was some kind of disconnect," she said. Shanan was born on November 3, 1972 in Ogden, UT; Daughter of John Patrick Flynn and Linda Jo Flynn. Tributes.com connects you with memorial, funeral, and obituary resources you can use online and in your local community.. Our trusted partners offer additional helpful tools: At Legacy.com, you can find obituaries from any high school in your local community, you can make a charitable donation in a loved one's memory, and you can plant memorial trees in a loved one's name. Flynn was then cleared of any connection with the bombings. We also offer a daily email notification, so that you can stay up to date with obituaries in your area as soon as they are published. He ended up doing things that he didnt really love to do, but he did them for his family and very honorably.. In effect, I guess the question I asked myself in deciding on a forgery, one of the questions was, 'What could have been?' Even if he could contribute something, we dont need him. "He is of no value. He visited Mark Hoffman in prison for about a year. But 25 years after the master forger murdered two people with nail bombs and sent Salt Lake City into a panic, he remains an enigma. "It was like they were talking about someone else entirely. Now his argument was more eloquent that I've indicated, but the point remains the . Rosalind Olsen Flynn (Rose) was born in Provo, Utah, the daughter of Don & Eloise Olsen Sept 11, 1934. Then-Chairwoman Victoria Palacios probed his motivations for creating documents that seemed to question the origin of the LDS Church: "You seem to toy with the religious beliefs of others. Shannon Flynn was a friend of Mark Hofmann in the 1985 Salt Lake City bombings, when Hofmann orchestrated a plot to kill two people to hide forgery of Mormon documents. To say Shannon was a bibliophile would be an understatement. All information for obituaries was submitted over the last year, prior to publishing. Jim grew up in Woburn, with his brothers, David, Doug and Tim. That was the day Mormon document dealer Mark Hofmann killed two people with pipe bombs in an effort to avoid being unveiled as a double-dealing forger, and Flynn, as his employee, was initially implicated. On Oct. 15, 1985, Shannon Flynns dreams and career went up in smoke literally. The creed of each of us has differences, but in prayer we have the possibility to find common ground to recommend to God a person with a sensitive and sincere heart who has sought him in Sacred Scripture with the means he had, facing and overcoming the suffering that has disturbed his life. Murder Among the Mormons shines a spotlight on this often-secretive milieu through interviews with many of its key players, including Shannon Flynn, Brent Metcalfe, Curt Bench, and Brent Ashworth . Feb. 4, 1986 Prosecutors charge Hofmann with murders and 25 other felonies. Shannon was unaware of Marks duplicitous dealings, and details how he came to learn Mark was guilty of murdering Kathy Sheets and Steve Christensen. Mercifully, his wife and children were able to be with him during his last moments. According to Men's Health, he and Flynn likely maintained close contact throughout his most successful period and Hofmann might have even shown Flynn the salamander letter before sharing his "discoveries" with the general public. Regardez le Salaire Mensuel de Gary Miller Obituary Mn en temps rel. "Mr. He also shared details of the case against Hofmann, and personal information about Hofmann. You may also light a candle in honor of Shannon Patrick Flynn or send a beautiful flower . But, occasionally, the pages provide chilling clues about the man who thought nothing of killing to keep his forgeries from coming to light. Send flowers. Our obituary archive offers peace of mind knowing that death notices will never be forgotten or overlooked, but rather preserved and accessible for future generations to come. "But those people do not know my personality.". Hofmann forged and attempted to sell what became known as "The Salamander Letter," which challenged the entire basis of the Church of Latter-Day Saints. She said her work in public health at Rothenberg Preparatory Academy, College Hill Elementary, and most recently Carthage Elementary, was the hardest best job she ever had. Shannon was a writer, an editor, an artist, a justice warrior, and above all else, a chronic dreamer. He was arrested on Oct. 19, 1985, after the authorities found an Uzi . Shannon is survived by her husband, Kevin Celarek, and children Abbey Celarek Scherer (Jack), Sam Celarek (Kawen Zhang), and Eleanor Celarek (Mike Bomholt), and the light of her life during her illness, four-month old grandchild, Logan Michael Scherer. "My view is, when I forged a document and sold it, that I was not cheating that person that I was selling it to because the document would never be detected as being a fraud.". Something was missing from Hofmann's personality, Flynn said. Shannon Flynn was a friend of Mark Hofmann in the 1985 Salt Lake City bombings, when Hofmann orchestrated a plot to kill two people to hide forgery of Mormon documents. Flynn has since spoken out about the case and his relationship with Hofmann. Hear your loved one's obituary. But, as he later confessed, by the time he departed on a religious mission to Great Britain in 1974, he was a nonbeliever who saw LDS Church founder Joseph Smith as a fake who dabbled in magic. "I don't know how you could do that without remorse. View Shanan Lea Flynn Rasmussen's obituary, send flowers and find service dates or sign the guestbook. "Since those bombs have been going off, the BATF [Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives] has been calling.". The two men became close friends and often travelled together. FILE | The Salt Lake Tribune The world does not need him. The majority of his . Here is Shannon Patrick Flynn's obituary. But his potential buyers, the Library of Congress and the American Antiquarian Society, eventually passed on the document. "I believe the documents I created could have been part of Mormon history. Hofmann had a dual personality a friend compared him with Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Larkin . Sadly, we had to say goodbye to Shannon Patrick Flynn (Salt Lake City, Utah). But despite some contact, Flynn has publicly denounced Hofmanns actions and said he should spend the rest of his life in jail. Saturday July 21, 2018 9:00 AM . "The focus shifted to Mark within an hour of that bomb going off in his car," Flynn claimed. By the late summer of 1985, Hofmann's debts mounted to a half-million dollars, and several anxious investors, including Christensen, were seeking the McLellin Collection an assemblage of documents that would take months and months to forge. "He knew exactly what he was doing. Flynn was a partner of Hofmann, and was helping to negotiate transactions involving five fragments of papyrus that Hofmann contended were part of the so-called McLellin Collection, said Ed Ashment, a historian, the article said. Please accept Echovita's sincere condolences. The documentary proved to be a godsend for Flynn, whose life was upended by Hofmanns murders of Steven Christensen and Kathy Sheets in October 1985. September 1979 Marries Doralee Olds in the LDS Temple in Salt Lake City. According to The Cinemaholic, Flynn was put on the list of suspects shortly after the third explosion on Oct. 16, 1985. The book also discussed how Flynn was one of the few people to visit Hofmann in prison. "Part of my philosophy of life is that the victims are not suffering, at this point," he said without emotion. Linda, born August 13, 1952 in Ogden Utah, to Doug and Jean Burnett, spent much of her early years growing up in Boise Idaho. Obituary from Miller Funeral Services. Where Is Murdaugh Murders Buster Murdaugh Now? Although he contradicted himself on a number of occasions as to his motives, in a Feb. 27, 1987, interview with prosecutors, Hofmann admitted that he sought to alter Mormon history. Even if he could contribute something. Next, check out the best true crime podcasts! The three-part documentary series aired Wednesday, March 3, 2021 on Netflix. She is survived by her two brothers, William Flynn (Beth) and Michael Flynn (Susan), her Aunt Beth Gibson, and many nieces, nephews, and cousins, and was predeceased by her parents, Bill and Sharon Flynn. 1938 - 2023 Robert William Hill, 84, of Clearwater Florida and formerly of Clinton, passed away at home on Friday, February 10, 2023. Its awful what he did, Flynn says in the films final minutes. One of the biggest stars of the Netflix documentary "Murder Among the Mormons" is Shannon Flynn, who was Mark Hofmann's close friend. A mistake during previous lung cancer surgery paralyzed one of his vocal cords, giving him a distinct, raspy voice. He also felt stifled by his authoritarian and religious father, who refused to allow his son to question the Mormon faith. This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2010, and information in the article may be outdated. Obituaries. Would love your thoughts, please comment. Let the . Your email address will not be published. How was the plea bargain arranged. Investigators served a search warrant on Flynns home in the days after the bombings October 15 and 16, 1985, as they worked to close in on a suspect. I needed to listen to some passages of his interview several times and after hearing them in Italian I wanted to hear them in English to understand what he was really feeling. The Salt Lake Tribune, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) public charity and contributions are tax Robyn Flynn said her husband was emotive. Browse Locations. Shannon was preceded in death by his mother and father, Edith Calderwood and Loyal Flynn, as well as his sister, Calene Hacking. Where Is Murdaugh Murders Alex Murdaugh Now? . Murder Among the Mormons on Netflix digs deeply into a series of bombings that rocked the Mormon community in Salt Lake City in 1985. Copyright 2023 Heavy, Inc. All rights reserved. Later, Palacios asked the soft-spoken inmate if he had any remorse for the murders. Shannon will forever be my best friend, a void in my heart that will stay for as long as I live. Flynn was also a man of deep faith in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, unperturbed by controversial history or misdeeds of members. COLUMBIANA Even after taking all possible precautions, David A. Flynn, 81, passed away from COVID-19 on Thursday, Nov. 25, 2021, with his wife and children by his . Would you like to offer Shannon Patrick Flynns loved ones a condolence message? Mark W. Hofmann, left, and LDS Church leaders N. Eldon Tanner, Spencer W. Kimball, Marion G. Romney, FILE | The Salt Lake Tribune Roberts or an obscure pamphlet published in the early twentieth century. All Rights Reserved. There is no photo or video of Shannon Patrick Flynn.Be the first to share a memory to pay tribute. Roberts believes Hofmann's background and his hubris allowed him to go beyond duplicity to murder. Hofmann's infamous Salamander Letter, among other documents, sought to undermine the Mormon prophet's credibility, while making its real author a big chunk of money. He recently declined an interview with The Salt Lake Tribune. September 1976 Enrolls as pre-med student at Utah State University. Heres what they have planned, Why the Christian flag can fly on this government flagpole, Breaking the fast: Eid ul-Fitr is an occasion of peace, The unique stories and struggles of Latino Muslims, The Black church, religious freedom and gay rights. He is survived by his wife, Robyn; his daughters, Morgan (Rick) and Kaytlin; his sons, Patrick and Collin (Brooklyn); his grandchildren, Agnes (5), George (2), and an unborn son of Collin and Brooklyn; and his sister, Erin Fletcher. The series details his life from being a collector of rare Mormon documents to a forger and, eventually, a murderous bomber. Find out what Flynn is up to today, decades after he was embroiled in a scandal that shook the Church of Latter-Day Saints in a huge wayand beware of spoilers! J. Gary Sheets, center, is comforted by his daughter, Katie (Sheets) Robertson, in 1985 after arriving at his Salt lake City home, where his wife had been killed in a bomb explosion. Thats why I say, the rest of his life, stay in prison. Shannon Flynn Celarek, born January 29, 1955, passed away on December 23, 2022 after a valiant battle against Acute Myeloid Leukemia. He hired Shannon Flynn to courier documents across the country. I feel remorse for their families.". Caroline Auvaa Tabile. FILE | The Salt Lake Tribune Flynn is the third contributor to the documentary to die since its release, following historian D. Michael Quinn and book collector and seller Curt Bench. Every good documentary series needs that one quirky, odd character that everyone wants to talk about. The family is most grateful and wishes to extend their admiration and appreciation to all of Shannons friends and family and to the caring professionals at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, the University of Michigan Hospital, and Hospice of Cincinnati, Anderson. That's why we strive to provide a dignified platform where family and friends of the deceased can pay their respects in an appropriate manner. She graduated from Ben Lomond High School with honors class of 1990. He would do anything for his family, Robyn Flynn said. Hofmann had an early interest in explosives and felt empowered by fooling people with falsehoods, Roberts said. Several years after his return from missionary service, Shannon met the woman that would prove to be the love of his life, Robyn Case. Shannon's story resonates in my heart, and the pathos he transmitted is an image of his inner beauty.I'll pray for him. View Shannon Flynn results in Utah (UT) including current phone number, address, relatives, background check report, and property record with Whitepages. He didn't testify in court. The man, Mark Hofmann, was actually injured by one of the bombs, eventually leading to his arrest. What Is Jenna Ortega's Net Worth In 2023? Bless you for your faith and endurance. Sa fortune s lve 10 000,00 euros mensuels Oct. 15, 1985 Kills Steven Christensen and Kathleen Sheets in separate bombings. And Roberts noted that Hofmann read books such as The Word, by Irving Wallace Jr., and The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco, both of which feature plots with forgeries surrounding religious texts leading to murder. Where Is 'Murdaugh Murders' Morgan Doughty Now? He was 43. Shannon Flynn. What a beautiful tribute to Shannon today. Oct. 16, 1985 Hofmann seriously injured when a bomb explodes in his car. Instead, he worked for a pro-firearms tech company, Robyn says, and then, in 2001, had a chance to move to the Phoenix-area to work in construction with a cousin. He wanted to make sure we had a normal, safe, successful life., He felt everything so passionately, says Kaytlin. His sojourn in Brazil proved to be one of the most significant and formative times of his life. Browse the obituary of Shannon Flynn Celarek January 29 1955 December 23 2022 residing in Cincinnati, Ohio for funeral burial details. Flynn remained a faithful member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints throughout his life. Among them is Murder Among the Mormons that premiered worldwide on March 3, 2021. Shannon (Kimberlin) Flynn. "I believe their families are. A newspaper that published a glowing obituary for a Utah father who allegedly killed his entire family of seven in a suspected murder-suicide has taken the piece down after facing furious backlash.. Michael Haight, 42, is accused of shooting dead his wife Tausha, 40; their five children Macie, Briley, Sienna, Ammon and Gavin, aged 4 to 17; and Tausha's mother Gail Earl, 78, before turning . Everything To Know About 'Daisy Jones & The Six'. He offended some people by encouraging this, but he just really wanted people to study, to search and to find out for themselves that it is true.. . I miss him so very much! Sheets, a child, whatever.". He was never convicted of any crimes related to the bombings due to lack of evidence and Hofmann's eventually confession. The three-part documentary series is primarily shown through the eyes of Shannon Flynn, a key witness and a part victim of the killings that took place at the Mormon . Shannon was a 1990 graduate of Georgetown University (BA, Psychology) and she graduated magna cum laude from The George Washington University, earning a Master of Arts degree in Art Therapy. Flynn maintains, however, that Hofmann was "fantastic," but not in a positive way, explaining, "No one has come close to doing what he has done. Browse Obituaries and Death Records in California Select a city or town in California from the alphabetized list below. If he was mad, he was madder than everyone else. Condolences to rohdefuneral.com. It was total disbelief," said former friend and book dealer Curt Bench of the aftermath of Oct. 16, 1985 the day a bomb exploded in Hofmann's car, sending him to a hospital. Today, Hofmann lives quietly at Utah State Prison in Draper, where he is serving a life sentence. We will be updating obituaries online at this location. July 1982 Introduces the 1831 Lucy Mack Smith letter that says God told her son to dig up the golden plates. Viewings will be held on Friday evening from 6-8 p.m. at Larkin Sunset Gardens, 1950 East Dimple Dell Road (10600 South), Sandy, Utah, and Saturday morning from 9:30-10:30 a.m. prior to the services at the church. He was 63. You are not alone, you will never be alone. Obituary for Logan Steel Flynn Andreason. Murder Among the Mormons is available on Netflix now. Korin Miller is a freelance writer specializing in general wellness, sexual health and relationships, and lifestyle trends, with work appearing in Mens Health, Womens Health, Self, Glamour, and more. Flynn details many of the aspects of the case; when Mark started forging coins first, and then documents; how Mark tried to con the Library of Congress out of $1.5 million! We are available 24/7. For an adult man to kind of show that vulnerability, which a number of characters in our film did, I think is respectable.. Shannon served for almost three decades as a research psychologist at the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), the lead federal agency for research on psychiatric disorders. All Obituaries - Burns Funeral Home offers a variety of funeral services, from traditional funerals to competitively priced cremations, serving Elko, NV and the surrounding communities. During his time as a forger, Hofmann created the replicas of sought-after, potentially epoch-making documents like the Anthon Transcript or the salamander letter, a fake that went against the core tenets of Mormonism. Sadly, we had to say goodbye to Shannon Patrick Flynn (Salt Lake City, Utah). I'll say it's true.". "It's not so much what is genuine and what isn't, as what people believe is genuine," he told Stott and Biggs.