We are using a chicken tunnel from the chicken run to the garden. When you build your chicken coop, be sure that you keep it elevated off the ground. It seems that everything wants to eat chickens: neighborhood dogs, raccoons, foxes, weasels, and even chicken hawks. It can be made from wood and shingles, corrugated metal, or even plastic sheeting used in greenhouses. Instead, construct your shelter with - hardware cloth. Adding a roof the run has many benefits. Many thanks for this valuable and detailed post about Chicken Tunnels For The Garden. Just like with the eggs sitting in the coop overnight, food scraps could work as a predator attractant. are hens less friendly when they have a rooster? The predator resistant chicken run of the Eglu Go features a protective skirt to keep your chickens safe inside The Predator Resistant Chicken Run The optional chicken run for the Eglu Go is made from strong steel weld mesh which is virtually impossible for predators to break. The first thing that I bought on Amazon was called Predator Guard (there are also other kinds of predator deterrent lights available on Amazon). Now we have a new and improved incarnation of the portable chicken coop with your choice of shapes. Our expert outlines processing used cooking oil in a small DIY plant. Hardware cloth is welded wire. The chickens will return to their coop naturally at dusk just be sure to close and latch the chicken door at nightfall if theyve been ranging in the yard. For areas where you would like to put chickens wire use 1/2 galvanized hardware cloth instead. Growers Supply sells the 4-millimeter twin-wall corrugated plastic we used to form the coops shelter. Do you have any suggestions for chickens that would fare well in Colorado weather and are good egg-producers? Created after Maxwell and Long conferred with poultry experts, the coop is a gorgeous piece of work (read more about it in MOTHERs Mini-Coop) meant to last for years. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. I may also earn a commission when you buy through other links on my site. The automatic coop door is attached to the run and it is set to open at 8am and close when it gets dark. Step 2. Chicken wire is more for keeping your chickens in than keeping predators out. I really recommend you replace any chicken wire with 1/4 inch hardware cloth (Amazon) because it really works to keep all sorts of predators out of the chicken coop. Tiny invaders like mice may be able to sneak under without a shock, since the very bottom string doesnt always touch the ground. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Find the center, and, using a 4-foot piece of string as a guide, scribe an 8-foot-wide circle on the boards. If you plan to move the chunnel, I recommend cutting a minimum of three 2-foot cross pieces from the optional 8-foot 1-by-3 board in the materials list, and fastening them across the bottom of the frame to keep everything solid. Bury hardware cloth 12 inches down all around the coop to protect from rodents and other burrowing animals. Above Ground Chicken Tunnels Fencing It's a great idea for your coop to have windows because in the winter the chickens will spend most of their time in there, the light and view of the outdoors will help a lot. We chose pre-bent plastic hoops, which made assembly even faster. The Litts are the founders of the Urban Farm Store in Portland, Ore., and have loads of experience helping beginners raise their first birds. One early version, designed in 2003 by MOTHER EARTH NEWS contributing editor Steve Maxwell and Editor-in-Chief Cheryl Long, was a wooden A-frame affair with wheels on one end to help make it easy for one person to move. Scribe the other two circles approximately 24 inches from and at 90 degrees to the center of the long edge of each 8-foot semicircle piece. Now, youre ready to assemble the fertilization station. To keep the seam secure, you can use hog rings and a hog ring plier to fasten the fencing material where it overlaps. To see how you can quickly build a predator apron, watch the video below (or keep reading). Whether you already live on a homestead, are transitioning onto one, or are only thinking about it, 52 Homestead Skills will help turn your dreams into a life worth living. Of course, the ramp leading up to the bridge needs to be gradual enough to allow your chickens to maneuver their way up and down. A drop-down door on the coop end can be opened to let the chickens out, and offers nest box access. Install a predator apron around your chicken coop to deter burrowing and digging predators. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. (Remember, some predators can squeeze into remarkably small openings.). When considering design, one of the most important things that you want to think about is how to predator proof the run. Finally, when there was just one guinea left, it decided the coop was the safe place to be and guess whos still alive today? For some reason, predators love to start digging in the corners. Robert and Hannah Litts A Chicken in Every Yard: The Urban Farm Stores Guide to Chicken Keeping starts with a variety of reasons to keep chickens. A flimsy wire that bends easily is definitely not recommended. The cats will crawl under and eliminate any rodents or other small, annoying visitors. They say, An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and I think this is definitely one area where you dont want to skimp! The birds shelter in an enclosure at one end made of the same durable yet easy-to-work corrugated plastic that the postal service uses in its mail tubs, and a cleverly fitted 5-gallon pail with a special cover serves as a nest box. This chicken run does not require any experience with woodworking or even using a lot of equipment. It will also sit on a 4-by-10-foot raised garden bed. Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance, https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208, https://www.backyardchickens.com/thder-2020-version.1529488/page-7#post-25809665. What Can I Put Around My Chicken Coop To Keep Predators Away? Here are some of the things I did when I designed my chicken coop and run. Electric fencing around the coop and run helps keep many land predators out too. These portable chicken coops are designed so that either end drops down for access to feeders and waterers, and to allow your chickens out while youre there to supervise (your presence should deter predators). Predator proofing the coop Your coop should be made of strong, sturdy materials that cannot be penetrated by digging paws and gnashing teeth. Photo by Ben Burghart. So make 100% sure that the seams are securely attached. CHOPPED GARLIC ADDED TO FEED - BEST CURE FOR MITES/LICE, Geese raising goslings on their own and viability, Quail chicks. This is one of many cheap chicken coop ideas we have to offer. Chickens love to eat insects and will reduce the number of harmful insects that invade your garden. A clean coop will help discourage rodents and other pests from taking up residence. See, you can develop creative ways to enhance your chickens environment while having fun doing it. Throughout the day, the hen patrol moves all around the garden (but never in it), munching on all those things hens love: weeds, seeds, worms, tiny pieces of stones and (best of all) bugs. However, some dogs will go after chickens themselves, so you need to train them not to chase and play with them. To raise chickens, you don't need a lot of money or land. With the current shortage of serfs, the practice has fallen out of favor. Construct your coop with a solid floor. We had a flock of guinea fowl that refused to come into the coop at night to roost. Chicken wire is not a good choice for the predator-proof chicken coop and run. My favorite way to lock raccoons out of the chicken coop is with a weatherproof, titanium lock (Amazon) and a hasp (Amazon). Dont risk losing your backyard chickens to predators! Having areas to explore provides stimulation, and yes, chickens can become bored with the same old run. In my opinion, the bigger the better is always a good rule of thumb. to incorporate chunnels in a backyard, around a garden, up and over existing chunnels, and even underground passes. A chicken tunnel, also known as a chunnel, is an extension of the chicken coop/run. As long as you have a decent-sized backyard and a little bit of free time and patience, you can enjoy raising chickens and their delicious eggs. The third layer of protection could be to use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. At GRIT, we have a tradition of respecting the land that sustains rural America. The run is the outside portion of the chicken area. She is a board-certified entomologist and volunteers for USAIDs Farmer to Farmer program. The 2023 How to Speak Chicken Calendar is Here. Growers Supply also offers 4-by-8-foot sheets of 8-millimeter material, which is slightly less flexible. However, some dogs will go after chickens themselves, so you need to train them not to chase and "play" with them. Raising the chicken coop off the ground by 1 foot or more creates an obstacle for small predators to overcome. But many folks swear by placing a guard goose in with their flock to warn of attacking predators and scare them off. So always use metal locks that avoid rusting and require two steps to open- such as ones with a spring protected latch or a slide and twist mechanism. This portable predator proof chicken coop DIY is low-cost and easy to make for just about anyone. , Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures. Make sure you head out and gather eggs daily so theres less of a temptation for predators to visit your chicken coop. Because your chickens have the area to roam within the tunnels, they are not bunched together, where disease loves to thrive. At MOTHER EARTH NEWS for 50 years and counting, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. First, if given a choice, your chickens will spend at least some of their time ranging on your front porch, leaving a welcome mat of droppings for anyone who comes to visit. With the help of another person, roll out the wire mesh over the boards, stapling it even with the outside edge of the boards as you go. It has been a challenge. Canadian Subscribers International Subscribers, Canadian subscriptions: 1 year (includes postage & GST). It's 1x2 rectangle fencing wrapped in chicken wire 4 ' long.