Greg Morago was a features editor and reporter for The Hartford Courant for 25 years before joining the Houston Chronicle as food editor in 2009. Interior is quite basic for the price but food and service is fantastic. Raw / prepared food removed from original containers / packages being stored in unclean containers / being stored in uncovered containers.. Standard not met: General. Tables are far apart. I've had Chirashis in dozens of sushi restaurants around Houston, but this was the absolute best in town! This year Kata Robata is marking its 10th anniversary. Exclusive: Abbott explains push against diversity hiring programs, Texas wants to ban delta-8, but veterans are pushing back, Astros GM Dana Brown the antithesis of his predecessors, UH, Texas A&M removing DEI statements from hiring practices, The Breakfast Klub sues prominent City Hall consultant for fraud, Houston is the most stressful city to work in, says new study, Lauren Daigle at Houston Rodeo: 'God always has your number', Galveston gets fourth Carnival Cruise Line, The Irish band Inhaler, author Ada Limon and songwriter/producer Chuck Prophet are also recommended, These body products impart iconic fragrance through oils, gels, lotions, and soaps. Top 100 Houston Restaurant 2019: Kata Robata (No. I could only eat vegetarian so the veggie sushi medley was lacking some flavor. Did you know that JavaScript does the following? Getting a bunch of plates to share is definitely the way to go here. and noting in the reservation that theyd like omakase. He provided recommendations and happily answered any questions we had. Served with salad, agedashi tofu, chicken teriyaki, seaweed salad & choice of California roll or steamed rice. Be specific about your experience and the services that were provided. Noodles were really soft.Oyster 5/5Unique flavor with the yuzu. Check out these top cookbooks of all time. 3600 Kirby Dr Suite H, Houston, TX 77098 Emma is Community Impact Newspaper's Houston City Hall reporter. We can't wait to dine at Kay's Robata again. COVID - Mask enforced. Horiuchi is a four-time James Beard Award nominee, and in 2019 Kata Robata earned the top spot on Houston Chronicle restaurant critic Alisons Cooks, Omakase translates to Ill leave it up to you. Rather than ordering from a menu, diners rely completely on a highly skilled chef to select the courses for the prix fixe meal. Copyright 1996-2023 GAYOT All Rights Reserved GAYOT (pronounced guy-OH) The Guide To The Good Life - All Rights Reserved - Terms of Use - Disclaimer - Privacy Policy, Kata Robata Sushi and Grill Manabu Horiuchi Kata Robata Sushi + Grill. The brand names, logos, images and texts are the property of these third parties and their respective owners. . There are bunch of places near Kata Robata giving great discounts. The omakase service is resuming at Kata Robata at 3600 Kirby, after a temporary halt during the pandemic. This subsection does not apply when dry cleaning methods are used as specified in subitems a and b of this item. There will be seating for 150 indoors and an addition 50 on the patio. discount ought to provide you with a total of $. The service is great, parking is easy and food is spectacular. Came with egg yolk dip.Lobster ramen 5/5Creamy and savory. Great food and amazing environment. Kata Robata 3600 Kirby Dr Suite H, Houston, TX 77098 (713) 526-8858 Website Order Online Suggest an Edit More Info Parking: Lot, Valet, Private Wi-Fi: No Bike Parking: No Attire: Casual Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Caterers, Sushi Alcohol: Full Bar Nearby Restaurants Dessert Gallery Bakery & Cafe - 3600 Kirby Dr # D Dessert We happened upon Kata Robata by chance and it ended up being a highlight of our trip to Houston.The atmosphere felt comfortable, trendy, and lively. WHAT TO ORDER: Half-shell oyster duet; Texas Wagyu Katsu Sando; uni chawanmushi; nigiri from daily specials list. GJ Tavern. Excellent food and service. the bill was appropriate for the quality. Nothing specific I would recommend, or eat again, just happy with it all. Kata Robata Island Grill B&B Butchers El Tiempo Breakfast Klub Killen's Pappadeaux Turkey Leg Hut Bagel Bob's Kenny & Ziggy's Romano's. 1:50 PM - 2 . For these jurisdictions, Hazel Analytics collects underlying local health department data to provide an estimated score that shows how this businesss latest inspection compares to others in the local health departments jurisdiction. The restaurant expertly blends cuisines while still staying authentic in both taste and textures. Bun B, Badu, J.J. Watt celebrate RodeoHouston Southern Takeover. Learn more. Kata Robata, considered one of the citys finest and most consistent restaurants, will soon have a sister concept. Standard not met: Maintenance. Kata Robata boasts one of the finest selections of sake and Japanese whisky in Texas, served alongside seasonal cocktails, classic drinks and a thoughtful wine list. The first time I sampled chef Manabu Horiuchis immaculate work, way back at Kubos in 2002, I knew Houston sushi had changed forever. Ember & Greens in the 77024 and 77055 zip codes is . We visited as our anniversary lunch. By subscribing, I agree to the Terms of Use and have read the Privacy Statement, See Promotional Terms. Best Houston Happy Hour Bars & Restaurants. Kata Robata's Sweet Shrimp Sushi is available curbside and via delivery if you live within three miles of the near-River Oaks restaurant. January 2023 - Click for $10 off Kata Robata Coupons in Houston, TX. Does Vicks VapoRub on feet stop a persistent cough. Kata Robata is known as one of the best restaurants in Houston for omakase. Even the Yuasa brand soy sauce Horiuchi prefers for omakase is special, as its crafted at Japans oldest soy sauce brewery and marinates in, cedar barrels for more than 18 months to bring out complex umami, Only eight omakase meals are available nightly, except for Sundays and Wednesays, which are Horiuchis days off. Fisher Distinguished Writing award recipient - has been reviewing restaurants and surveying the dining scene for the Houston Chronicle since 2002. The fish was fresh and of good quality. They did not charge me for the incorrect food item. Octopus ?licious. Suggest an Edit. Employees looked like they enjoyed working there- I noticed many genuine-looking smiles as they interacted with and helped each other. Hear him on our BBQ State of Mind podcast to learn about Houston and Texas barbecue culture. Come for the sushi and stay for the grilled entres. 713-526-8858. There was an issue with my order. This version is crustless with a fluffy interior and burnt Blue is the new black this season, and there's nothing sad or forlorn about it. I ordered the Chirashi and did not expect much. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate, Akamutsu (Japanese sea perch), left, and Fraser River sockeye salmon at Kata Robata, Compressed watermelon with mascarpone ice cream, watermelon milk granita, toasted coconut and chocolate cookie crumble at Kata Robata, Unicorn (sea urchin, baby corn, uni beurre blanc, umami powder and togarashi) at Kata Robata, Hime-Maguro Toro (sustainable Japanese Blue Fin fatty tuna) sashimi at Kata Robata, Uni hand roll stuffed with ossetra caviar at Kata Robata, Heritage pork and shrimp shumai with garlic chili oil and ponzu at Kata Robata, O-Toro, blue fin premium fatty tuna, and Anago, saltwater eel at Kata Robata, ALISON COOK'S TOP 100 RESTAURANTS: See who else made the cut, only on HoustonChronicle.com. Standard not met: Dispensing utensils. . 2. Tobiu Sushi and Bar is already gaining major praise on the Houston restaurant . 32. Sign / icon / poster that notifies food employees to wash their hands not provided at all hand-washing sinks used by food employees / not clearly visible to fo. BUBBLES: The Best Ros Champagne in 2023. The impending takeover of HISD by the TEA dates back to 2019, when Wheatley High School triggered a state law by failing to meet accountability standards for seven consecutive years. "We opened Kata Robata 13 years ago as a Japanese restaurant that offered something for everyone," said Horiuchi, who has guided Kata since its opening and responsible for accolades including. $$$ Open now 11:30 AM - 3:00 PM MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT SUN 6AM 9AM 12PM 3PM 6PM 9PM 12AM 3AM Sushi Restaurant Photos See all Videos See all 0:07 Went to celebrate an occasion and the food was amazing. I did not have a chance to try their soup yet, but my friend had the lobster crab and I heard it was off the chain. Diners can reserve their experiences by calling Kata Robata at (713) 526-8858, or visiting the website and noting in the reservation that theyd like omakase. Ordering time had limitations due to the restaurant's operating time. No suitable dispensing utensils provided for employees / consumers during pauses in food preparation / dispensing. The omakase service is resuming at Kata Robata at 3600 Kirby, after a temporary halt during the pandemic. Kata Robata has extensive delicious vegan options. Called Katami, the restaurant will open in the former Vincents space on West Dallas in Spring 2023. 1 Houston restaurant in the Chronicles 2019 list of Top 100 Houston restaurants. Greg Morago writes about food for the Houston Chronicle. 10/13/2021. Local category deals only. Dry cleaning. If the discount $200/person if both people are drinking is about what to expect.Dine in: Yes Outdoor seating: No, Fantastic sushi place ? . We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us. This is natural. Chef Hori still sets the pace at Kata Robata. If you enjoy reading Houston Food Finders articles, we need your support now. Openings: Lunch & Dinner daily Features Parking lot Dress code: Casual Full bar Heart-healthy dishes Outdoor dining Will highly recommend their sushi. This version is crustless with a fluffy interior and burnt Blue is the new black this season, and there's nothing sad or forlorn about it. 2005-2022 Community Impact Newspaper Co. All rights reserved. Pictured is the miso eggplant and crispy sushi rice, tofu and sauted mushrooms, veggie sushi sampler and the kokonatsu lychee cocktail. Send him news tips at greg.morago@chron.com. This was the first Japanese restaurant we tried in Houston, restaurant was still very busy on a weekday afternoon. Today is the last day to dine with 1751 Sea and Bar.. Excellent service from the waiter who gave us solid recommendations. Our party most definitely enjoyed our visit today. A Boston native, she is a former student athlete and alumna of The University of Texas at Austin. The former Vincents space will be designed by Abel Design Group with a bar and lounge. I've been here about half a dozen times now since it opened, Mi T. said: If I had written a review after the first time we came, this place would, Elizabeth P. said: Let me start off by saying I was very confused about this. Get the recipes. Over 3 million Texans impacted as emergency New loan available to help students complete 19 women-owned businesses to support in the Gov. Add this video to your website by copying the code below. Bento Japanese Lunch Box. Downtown Houston/ Theater . Get the recipes. I'll dream fondly of the fatty tuna for the foreseeable future.Our server, Khan, was a patient and informative guide through the menu. Be truthful - this review will help other consumers as well as the business. Standard not met: Cleaning frequency. Get the free, weekly Flavor newsletterdelivered to your email.