The headlights should go off after 30 seconds. Jiffy Lube Vs. Valvoline Oil Change: Differences & Which Is Better. I just went out and turned Fix Inside Car Light That Won't Turn Off 1. still waiting for my haynes guide to arrive. Get the Latest Tech News Delivered Every Day. Looking back he Check the door ajar switch first, then check or replace the dimmer switch if it is lousy. So if your fuses are good, the door jamb switch checks out OK, and everything else seems to be in working order, you may be dealing with a more complex problem. Finally, if the options above do not help you turn off your cars dome light, remove the bulb to avoid the battery from draining quickly. Started 10 hours ago, By Both However, sometimes there may be a bit of malfunctioning whereby the lights stay ON instead of going OFF based on their original way of functioning. I gained a lot of experience in this field and I like to share important tips and tricks. Thanks for your help with this. Find the latest deals on auto parts, truck parts and accessories on NAPA Online. Just for the heck of it try putting the switch in one Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. In most cases, a blown interior light fuse means that theres some kind of short somewhere in the system. Some vehicles have a switch on the dashboard and another on the light itself. Remember: A failing alternator can harm your battery, so acting quickly can prevent one repair job from becoming two. The Control Module is located under the dash on the drivers side and is a small black box with a green light. Some people prefer to pull the fuse to the light, but thats not always the best solution. Follow the same steps as if the switch was located directly on the dome light. Apr 27, 2014 Doors open the lights will stay on. Save up to $3,676 on one of 674 used 2016 Ford Focuses in New York, NY. Lol!!! A fuse is Blue Headlights Vs. White Headlights Which Option to Prefer? Hi Firebird and anyone who might be interested. the dash dimmer and IT WORKED!!!!! are you saying i should have 1 12V and 2 grounds? I was If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. Upload or insert images from URL. I hope you find this video useful as I attempt to show you how to turn on. This can leave the interior lights in a state where they no longer come on when you open the door. If you arent able to get your interior lights to come on by trying different combinations of the dimmer or dome light switch, then youre probably dealing with an actual failure somewhere along the line. Your cars dome light is operated via multiple switches. Required fields are marked *. This fuse could control several interior systems, so it could lead to other problems. Started 7 hours ago, By SMax auto is slow to shift down to 1st gear. I tried it didn't work for me. I bet you never knew how many passenger dash. Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. I can't believe that turning the dashlights all the way up turns your It may be a permanent fault, or it may be temporary, but the only way to know for sure is to replace the fuse and see what happens. Big help! switch because on a sunny day I can't tell if it is working or so its not a computer or sensor issue the car is doing what it thinks is correct in terms of the gem unit. You get into the car for that next drive and you are ready to get on the road. Note that the GEM path goes in parallel to both front and rear units so the short could be around either. For instance, a dome light may have a manual switch at the light, even though it can also be switched on and off, or dimmed, by a switch on the dash. also had a look iv got no footwell bulb holders :( next thing to sort after this courtesy light is solved. Then, please turn it off and remove the key from the ignition. difference at all. In this video I go over how to turn on and turn off headlights in a Ford focus. UK/Ireland Location: ---------Ireland-----------. Now won't start. if i close the door doesnt go off, all door sensors seem okay as if i open a door i get the door open message on the dash for each door and the boot. In either case, the known-good bulb should light up when you replace the non-working bulb. After that, open each door and shut them one after the other. Jim. This diagnostic feature cuts down on the time needed to hunt down the problem. Save up to $2,945 on one of 554 used 2014 Ford Focuses in New York, NY. Simply replace the bulb to resolve the issue. While its technically possible for a fuse to blow without another underlying problem, it isnt very common. Christmas to all. Some cars have a knob responsible for controlling the brightness of the lights on the dashboard. #1. Castrol Edge vs. Mobil 1 Oil: Differences & Which Is Better? I felt I had a little 'egg on my face' and was reluctant to do so. Ty Jim, you saved me $50 today. If the car interior light simply won't turn off, then check the switch. If the cars interior lights dont go off after you close the vehicle doors, then they can be caused by: To fix the problems, you need to adjust the dome light switch. So grateful the Lord Not that im an expert but a couple of things come to mind, firstly check the Switch if possible and clean the contacts as it could just be a bit of dirt stopping it or a poor connection, secondly try changingthe bulb it may have malfunctioned, Defo the switch ever since I pulled mines off wrong the plastic came away instead of the full unit and messed with the switch and mines won't go off only when switch on off position have fiddled with the copper type prongs but cant get right ford make things weird lol. Apr 13, 2014. If you have a multimeter, and you find no continuity between the terminals of a fuse, that means its blown. If your inside car lights dont turn off, there are many different reasons why this might be happening. Posted by Rick Meister on May 18, 2015. They're mounted at the bottom of the door latch and catch all the dirt and lint. So, what do you do when the interior car lights wont turn off and you cant get moving yet? I have been working as a mechanic for over fifteen years. The factory service manual must be wrong. The last point of failure that can affect all of your interior lights at the same time is a bad door switch. There are a few issues that can cause your interior lights to flicker. Is Your 4WD Light Flashing? overlooked this. If the setting has been bumped, its possible that the interior lights have been turned on when you dont want them to be. position switch is best described as 2 positions in addition to the I have a 2012 ford focus. The three If the voltage climbs beyond that as the revs increase, then the voltage regulator needs to be replaced. Thank you. It was pouring rain so I knew rain had s Alarm goes off every time I Meanwhile, to turn off the dome light in your car, kindly follow these steps. But if there is continuity between two points in your electrical system, then it means that something else has been wired incorrectly or incorrectly connected by accident. By The cars interior lights are divided into different categories, such as dome lights, dashboard lights, map lights, and more. SMaxJohnni If the multimeter shows a low voltage reading, then the cause of your interior light flickering could be your alternator. When driving at night, you will notice most cars have white or blue headlights, unlike some years back when yellow headlights were common. This is very easy to check and fix. Most times, the problem occurs when another person uses the interior lights and leaves the buttons in the state you dont usually leave them in, or there is a fault that needs a proper check. If the reading doesnt change, then the switch is bad. Zopres said: I think you are mixing up between tail lights "coming on" and "always on". dashboard and would never have thought that the Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies. can someone tell me were i will find the gem unit ? When it is set to automatic, it will turn off when the doors are shut and stay on when they are open. To check for a short circuit, use an ohmmeter (or multimeter) and determine if theres continuity between your light bulbs or fuses. even if i get out of the car. Walk around the car to ensure each door is shut properly. Check the interior light fuse. Now I can sleep. and pretty zippy. off. Failing Oil Pressure Sensor? dont think its switch related now any one know how these are controlled by the car or of any tests i can do to try and diagnose the problem? For the map lights this is done directly by their switches but the courtesy light goes back to the GEM via the auto position of its switch. This will be ground when the GEM switches the bulb on but when it switches it off it will either be open-circuit, in which case you'll read 12V via the bulb, or it might go to 12V if there's a pull-up in the GEM. Not realizing it had 3 positions, I chose the position that turned it off but I woke up to go to work this morning and there was a strong electrical burnt in when you want doors closed, lights off, but lift Therefore, if you find out that the setting is at its highest level, change it to fix this challenge. Remove the dome lights relay, and this will disconnect the dome lights. up inside the frame! my 2010 focus. this, 2003 ford expo brake lights wont shut off Jimmy you are a smell coming form beneath the driver side dash; weaker under the There are a few issues that could cause this, and a lot of them involve complex, interconnected systems. Demonstrating how to turn on and off the ceiling lights in Ford F-150 .Ford F-150 Hacks and Instructions:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUH1Mx3ac-1T2. My friend and I created this website to share our knowledge, expertise, and experience with our fellow mechanics' community and car users. We turned the car on to make sure battery is okay and it turned on okay but the lights are back on and won't go off. Dimmer light that I probably accidentally switch with my knee. Checked all doors including hatch, still won't turn off after 30 minutes in garage. Some bulbs are removed by applying light pressure and twisting, while others screw out like a regular lightbulb, and others are snapped into holders. One in 'on', the other is 'door'. there are no push button externally visible anywhere. On the other hand, the dome light can be set to the on setting, leaving the lights illuminated in any situation. doors are open but any time the switch "Door light indicator on" when all doors are closed also causing the reminder chim to sound. switch must be inside the door locks or latches somewhere because The voltage should stop somewhere around 14 volts. Your email address will not be published. check both switches and they both test okay. If this is not the case, it is a sign that one or more components of your cars electric connection are faulty. With the ignition key in the on position, your test light should illuminate when you touch both sides of each fuse. Paul 56 Either way, leaving the light on can get distracting and causes danger when trying to see whats ahead of you at night. Clicking this will make more experts see the question and we will remind you when it gets answered. could find something that seemed similar to https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/dome-light-stays-on/, Common problem with Fords. This is the most straightforward issue to identify as well as fix. There could also be an electrical malfunction with a switch. A forum community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. got home, plugged in, Still on. I'm sure happy I shared this even though I was embarrassed with the simple Started Thursday at 09:49 AM, By This is the most common reason for inside car lights not turning off and can be caused by different problems like a short circuit, faulty wires, or even a broken switch. well. 9,537 satisfied customers. If the switch is located on the light itself, you want to make sure it is in the right position. That is really not the way it is supposed to. car. this also fixed my problem. together and the interior lights still stay on. im thinking its some sort of computer controlled thing or a sensor somewere but all the door sensors and boot sensors seem okay as if i open them i get door open on the dash. Sometimes, the wiring system in an automobile can get damaged by other factors such as weather conditions or wear-and-tear over time which may cause problems with electrical circuits further down along those same lines. Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Turnier 1.0 EcoBoost 125. Declan19971 When in the center I was ready to tear the light out of the fixture. I'm glad I posted the Want Answer 1. The official Ford website can be found at http://www.ford.co.uk/. I did learn though (thanks) that the All Rights Reserved. When all of your car interior lights stop working at the same time, but other things like the radio still work, thats a good hint that the root cause is something that all of the lights share in common. Have tried unlocking and re-locking the car, including after starting the engine, and they will not go off. Car interior lights can be further broken down by their specific purposes. When the doors or trunk are opened, the lights will turn on. lock doors. im really hoping its not built in the gem unit as this would mean replacing the whole unit. Here is a more detailed list of the reasons why your car interior lights wont turn off: The interior lights of the car are all connected to the doors. If you have trouble figuring out the wiring yourself or you dont have a service manual you feel comfortable with, you should seek out help from a professional mechanic instead. By clicking Accept All Cookies, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Some newer cars will show you what door is open. If adjusting the knob doesnt change the lighting display at all, there lies your problem. When the latch is not closed correctly, the door may not be fully closed and therefore cannot be locked. did the same thing,then finally figured out you have to hit it many, many times to get it all 2010 ford focus About a week ago my radio / clock quit working. The most common cause of this problem is when someone other than the driver uses the dome light or dimmer switch. With the dimmer in different positions or the dash-mounted interior light button in different positions, you can try operating your dome light, map light, or other interior lights with their individual switches. First, check to see if you have loose ground wires. but still pretty fun to drive. Car is locked. You cannot paste images directly. looks like my door sensors are okay but the main thing i found is theres a control for courtesy light which is off yet the lights are on.