Side by side shotguns of this era are highly collectable and our inventory changes frequently. With a selection including Brownings, Over/Unders, Semi-automatic, Pump, Single Shots and much more, we have something for everyone from the serious collector to the occasional shooter. two may be out of print, try inter-library loan or Amazon.com, WebBut there are three reasons why you should consider using an antique shotgun. WebShotguns At Collectors Firearms, we pride ourselves on our ever evolving inventory of antique shotguns and used shotguns for sale. Currently listed on the International Military Antiques, this piece has a price tag of $99,995 attached to it. Ive been online for hours looking up these guns!! WebShotguns At Collectors Firearms, we pride ourselves on our ever evolving inventory of antique shotguns and used shotguns for sale. Several generations of this rifle are available in auctions. You can expect to pick up a well-used field grade in 12-gauge for around $300, while pristine examples, sub-gauge and graded variants can fetch several thousand dollars. Please have a look around See all my Guns on Guns International Click on Link Quick questionI have a 1926 Ithaca 20 gauge NIDwere all the NIDs made to shoot 23/4 shells or did some shoot only 21/2 shellsI have come across conflicting reportsbecause of that I only use 21/2 to be on the safe sidewhat is also unique is that this gun came with a beavertail fore grip. When it comes to identifying antique shotguns, some of the pieces that sit in this category include: If you are wondering about antique muzzleloader identification, this is any gun that uses black powder and is loaded from its barrel. U.S. Excellent: All original parts, over 80 percent of its original finish with sharp lettering, numerals, and design on metal and unmarred wood. The smaller the gauge, the wider the bore (a 10-gauge bore is larger than a 20-gauge bore). It does not have a mark on it anywhere identifying anything, no numbers, letters, nil! But its still classy enough for the discerning upland hunter. Whats even better is that books can also help you with antique gun identification. *Not our quarterly print publication. The first one was when I thought I had made a mistake and found out that I didn't. Non-factory open-ended production commemoratives As you begin your search to buy one, here are a handful of those makers to research. Webster is a similarly definitive reference for small late 19th Both myself and my son bought brand new (in box) model 37s. Revolutionary War Flintlock Musket 6. Before 1891 no official proof marks were used and when the proof marks law started in 1891 older guns were marked only with a V under crown. particularly limit production of these, and will continue to Side-by-side shotguns were built under the L.C. This was the work of Jan Hendrick, who resided in Amsterdam. I dont know where the fascination started, really. They were common among working class folk, whose no-nonsense approach and practicality made the pump a match made in heaven. Saloon and Gambling5 However, you can still find lower-priced Winchesters in the marketfor example, a Winchester 1873 rifle realized a price of $3,450 in 2019. He was going to throw them away but I managed to get one of them from him. Serial number below 1,000. The majority that show up in the US tend to any recommendations on how to find some good side by side options? Antique guns are classified as excellent, fine, very good, good, fair, or poor. Yeah its probably a Belgian gun / Parker knock off. There were probably over 150,000 L.C. folding trigger hammerless revolvers sometimes lumped together as The type of gun will impact value. The Winchester 1897 is what I consider the first perfected pump-gun. Some collectors prefer to say that those made before WWI or before 1900 are considered antique. New Gear Designs Added! Consistent. Wondering if mine is a guild gun. There are many And no, I am not saying that you should have a shotgun on your property. SMALL EUROPEAN CARTRIDGE REVOLVERS, ca. Come join the discussion about optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! WebAntique Shotguns (Pre-1899): Belgian Shotguns, Side by Side Shotguns Our inventory of antique shotguns is made up of shotguns manufactured before 1899, including English, French, and Belgian shotguns. However, the Winchester 1873 lever action rifle beats the others in popularity. Henry Deringer released his first pocket pistol in the 1820s. permission. And that has perpetuated something of an elitist attitude towards other shotgun configurations. The FFLC can help ensure your guns are properly registered. Often when a The most valued antique Smith and Wesson pieces are the model 3s that often have a price of thousands of dollarsa good example is the 1907 long-strap model 3, whose price is currently set at $12,600. Blades, Edged Weapons3 document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Side by side shotguns of this era are highly collectable and our inventory changes frequently. Winchester16 For example, a calvary Colt Single Action Army revolver produced in 1877 is currently listed for $30,000. Antique guns hold historic and monetary value to collectors based on unique characteristics and rarity. Some general considerations for antique flint & percussion arms by small makers: Generally, signed guns will bring more than unsigned. It does not have a mark on it anywhere identifying anything, no numbers, letters, nil! Mine was a 16-gauge Fox Model B, and if I was looking to buy one of those guns today, here are three rules I would follow. Your dad and your grandpa probably carried one of these! Finally. To say the least, I gave up some of my closet space for a classic-pump-gun. I am trying to figure out what gift I should get him for his birthday, I wonder if something like this would be a good idea. The diameter of a shotguns bore is called its gauge. In our case, Colt would have no problem. extent of decoration. identification is often more art than science, and value estimates Action movies from the 80s and 90s where the greased-up muscle dude had a sawed-off double? We provide antiqueguns prices and pictures of each antique gun we sell. Its also important to note that some shotguns are vintage rather than antique.Those older than 100 years are considered antique while those between 20 and 100 years old are vintage. California hunting. may be speculative. Guns that are classified as 'antique' by the National Firearms Act (NFA) are guns that are not designed to use current firing and ammunition. In every cornfield and duck blind, a Model 12 could be found! Before 1891 no official proof marks were used and when the proof marks law started in 1891 older guns were marked only with a V under crown. The smooth and sleek looking Model 12 is one of the most popular pump shotguns of its time and nostalgia has ensured that they fetch a premium price. Great gunsbut THE king? have little value beyond decorators, altho some of the older ones features. Outdoor Hub, LLC (d/b/a Carbon Media Group), 30800 Telegraph Rd, Suite 1921, Bingham Farms, MI 48025 USA. those types of guns has not been positive. Sharps1 will nearly always be a modern reproduction. According to the seller, this pistol was at some point in the Royal House of Saxony until it was sold in the early 2000s. Glad you liked it. rifles tend to bring more than fowlers. Antique guns are classified as excellent, fine, very good, good, fair, or poor. This will be an on going source of Manufacturer Serial Numbers. Not one of those over/unders, but a classical side-by-side. Antique guns can be as cheap as under $1000. For starters, Im talking about the way the toplever, action, and other metal parts are filed and shaped, the way the locks and trigger guard fit into the stock, the shaping and aesthetics of a gun, and how it feels in your hands. Smiths made. Revolutionary War Flintlock Musket 6. Im looking for a side by side 16. There is a familiarity you experience with a vintage pump-action thats like being around an old friend. get them sold - sometimes half or less. He would shoot and not think, but he wouldnt know that he was shooting guns. Dutch 1710 Flintlock Pistols 7. Indian War9 those of NRA or the National Firearms Museum. In addition, the brothers behind the Browning company created and filed multiple patents for firearm technologymost of these were sold to other manufacturers, including Winchester. & early 20th Century trade names, while Blue Book of Gun and various co-authors list Amercian makers by specific region. Communicate make and model information when known. With unique designs that were ahead of their time and inspired later well-known models like the Remington 870, classic pumps are worth the effort of collecting and taking out to the field. My first double-gun was an old Hopkins & Allen 12-gauge side-by-side with 2-1/2 inch chambers and slightly bulged right barrel. Some collectors prefer to say that those made before WWI or before 1900 are considered antique. According to the seller, this is the only Mervin & Hulbert revolver marked up to the Union Pacific Rail Road. Available in 12-gauge as well as the rarer 16- and 20-gauge, the Model 31 was well received but could not beat the popularity of the Model 12, despite its smoother action, and was ultimately discontinued. The barrel features the Roman Numerals XVIII REGT, indicating the 18thRegiment of Foot. When choosing the shop to visit, ensure your community trusts the shop. Side-by-side shotguns were built under the L.C. Used in the early stages of the Napoleonic Wars, this piece boasts 7 barrels. CAUTION: Things may appear closer in the rear view mirror! They boast attractive stocks and ebony butt caps featuring ivory buttons. And youre right its addictive! The Model 12 ceased mass-production in 1964. Make a list of gun information to help you or a professional identify the gun. Whats the Difference Between Vintage And Antique ? Old cowboy flicks where hammered coach-guns were backing up the hero in the final duel? There have been 22,522,718 ad views. I don't mind your posting here. However it is sometimes possible to identify the maker through what markings are found. The musket has a total length of 62.5 inches and boasts brass furniture as one of its materials. The smaller the gauge, the wider the bore (a 10-gauge bore is larger than a 20-gauge bore). While numerous types of antique guns exist, collectors tend to hunt for the classes outlined below: When most people think of the antique gun collection, the first thing that comes to mind is western firearms. Standard Catalog of as can essentially custom built rifles by top makers, although Gun Parts, Sights5 But also can try to find the brand symbol and model number yourself. may have some value. The seller notes that it is brass mounted, proving it was produced by Thomas Jordan, a famous gun maker residing in London. I bought two 1920s doubles, Ithaca NID 12 gauge and NR Davidson & sons 20 gauge! Antique guns were generally made before 1898 and are considered collectors items because they are not designed to use as a weapon. While Colt produced thousands of colt pistols during the 19thcentury, the rarest pieces were manufactured while Samuel Colt was still alivebetween 1830 and the 1860s. To get in the antique gun collection game, you need to understand antique gun valuation and identificationthis will help you pay the right amount of money for the right antique gun. Revolutionary War Flintlock Musket 6. Never mind that my first shotgun was a piece of junk! Remington, Browning and Mossberg, three of the world's largest shotgun manufacturers, provide online tools that will let you use your serial number to find out more details about your weapon. Muzzleloaders use the oldest gun technology, where the user pours powder down the guns barrel before shoving a projectile. They are really beautiful shotguns. Marlin1 The smell. You should post this request in the "Gun ID & Value" forum, with as many pictures, close up and whole gun. Side by side shotguns of this era are highly collectable and our inventory changes frequently. Get the latest articles, films, podcasts, and exclusive offers for the upland obsessed curated to your email each week. There were not as many Model 31s produced (less than 200,000) but due to it being overshadowed by guns like the Winchester Model 12, they can typically be picked up for a reasonable price. Others will have distinctive regional Revolutionary War Flintlock Musket, 7. Some of these are quite good but are often difficult to identify as guild guns. German Wheellock Puffer Holster Pistol 5. They are often very ornately decorated There are about 2 million Model 12s that were produced, and thats good news for someone looking to get into a Classic American Pump-Gun. Even more appealing is that you do not have to be a grizzled outdoor person or a historic re-enactor to appreciate old firearms. Its a simple design. Please have a look around See all my Guns on Guns International Click on Link "provenance") than any other factor. And I find that makes these guns something I can relate to. POWDER ONLY," or "MADE IN ITALY" (or any other country name), it Some general considerations for antique flint & percussion arms by small makers: Generally, signed guns will bring more than unsigned. American Gunsmiths by Sellers, To begin with, you may want to look at the Blue Book of Gun Valuesthis book is updated yearly with the latest antique gun values. proofmark indicates a Belgian made gun. Guild guns were made by gunmakers who functioned as general contractors and produced guns for retailers. Its hard to beat a Boss from the 30s, and Boss OUs are better than any of the Purdey OUs. I have an old Damascus dbl marked on the receiver W H Sparhawk with Fine Damascus Barrels in the rib..no other markings have been found..any help in id would be welcome..thank you. The Remington, Browning and Mossberg, three of the world's largest shotgun manufacturers, provide online tools that will let you use your serial number to find out more details about your weapon. Ive been obsessed with old side-by-sides for decades now. Many of these guns exist with a makers name stamped on it but are the work of several (many?) Is there a quality vintage online broker? identify & value them. If you already have the gun on hand, consider taking it to a gun shop. There's a reason for that omission. To add the gun to your collection, you will need $39,995. In most cases, people will shoot and not think, Ive never shot a gun before. They will think, Are those people in the video? A 16g is a rare gun. still being made today. I love how the author explores the unintended consequences of gun ownership and how hunting was associated with this. result in a reasonable estimate of value based on such factors as "Velodog" or "Puppy" type revolvers. However it is sometimes possible to identify the maker through what markings are found. It improved upon several features of the Model 1893, including strengthening the receiver, which enabled it to utilize smokeless 2-3/4 inch shells. This makes the Model 37 a great choice for left-handed shooters, as empty hulls are ejected towards the feet of the shooter, instead of across the face. muzzleloaders that are made by individual gunsmiths or small In 2021, for example, the antique handgun used to kill Billy the Kidan infamous outlawthe single-action army colt revolver previously owned by a man known as Pat Garret was sold for $6.03 million. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. Sorry, Bill. One has to force the second shell back into the magazine in order to close the bolt. Theyre nice, too. This is the only site I check while surfing Shotgun World. Generally, but not WWI & WWII3, Ethan Allen3 Gun materials can help point to the origins of a gun and when it was made. Wild Bird and Hunting Dog Series: Shop Now Dismiss, Our site uses cookies. Your email address will not be published. Copyright, Jim Supica - used by U.S. Even then, the Flint and other early pattern gun have been A vintage pump-gun is built like a tank. WebA shotgun typically has a smooth bore and is designed to fire multiple small projectiles (called shot) at the same time. First time without any improvement or explaination. Web10 Most Valuable Antique Guns 1. Generally, they will Colt38 In addition to collecting antique gunsby type, collectors also check the brands. What do I mean by quality? These guns are popular among the SASS (Single Action Shooters Society) crowd and come in several variants, such as the common Field Grade, the fancy Pigeon Grade or the legendary WWI issued Trench version. Learn more about our use of cookies:cookie policy. The most prominent manufacturers in this period were Colt and Winchester. So, how do you identify a gun worth under $1000 and one worth much more? Born in 1855, John M. Browning dedicated his life to inventing revolutionary firearms that were desitned to shape the future. Others, such as well worn no name double barrel shotguns of average quality & low condition may be worth well under $200. Aluminum receiver versions do exist (designated as Light-Model 31L) but are quite rare. While these antique guns may not hold the same cultural significance as historic rifles, antique handguns are attractive, and buyers always pay good amounts for them. Sometimes the company does not This should help you get the most accurate value for your antique gun. French Louis XIV Gun 2. For example, they may want to purchase it and then resell it at a higher price for profitthis means they may value the antique gun at a lower price. Good hunting! Your email address will not be published. be worth well under $200. production, but sometimes well into the mid-19th century. (besides gun broker, etc). WebGuns that are classified as 'antique' by the National Firearms Act (NFA) are guns that are not designed to use current firing and ammunition. Antique guns are a special category under the NFA and do not have the same licensing requirements as other firearms. Balkan in origin. Am I bold to say that I find the Model 12 and Ithaca 37 sleek and elegant guns, rivaling even many double guns that are so coveted?