The difference in models is only core material and how many lams are used. Byron Ferguson is a very nice guy, but maybe Chris didnt hit it off with him. Comes with 2 extra strings. The Wesley is my go to. I doubt very many here ever shot a field round or an animal round. Spirit - 41@28 - 62" - 3505. (71), Selfbow (or all wood/no fiberglass) 3-Piece longbow. I have a Redman I like very much because I like the looks of yew and it is a time honored core material, but I also like any Hill I have owned. The red elm in the Bighorn Sheep is a light brown color highlighted with beautiful dark brown swirls. Like new condition. You can email the site owner to let them know you were blocked. ToddRvs wrote: All in all very disappointed in Howard Hill. Yeesh. If you guys lived in the 1940s/ 50s era, then there may be some substance to your hatred of Mr. Hill. The grip is narrow and deep like Howard's unless otherwise requested. What version is it? Call 8two85five921zero9. So I dont doubt that Howard could make an honest kill, his camera crew just could not capture it with the equipment they had to work with. I have recurves and a couple hybrid longbows but these are my first ASLs. 7-17. I wish Art Youngs Alaska Adventure had been filmed 30 years later( I mean with sound and without the Charlie Chaplin frame jumping effect) It would be traditional Archerys ultimate masterpiece in my book of course:). Tillered for split finger. Ebay can be your friend in this regard. You can assum USED - Right handed. His remarkable achievements have been highly regarded internationally as well as in the United States. You can assume this bow has straight limbs and USED - Right handed. Hollywood ruined the actual archery and hunting in Hills movies, as they had in many older flicks. SteveMcD wrote: Van, George. The historic longbow material, yew was the standard in superior archery equipment for years. Comments on topic are welcome, personal attacks from any side are not. police and the deaf munity the atlantic. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data. Excellent condition. "Alpha Hybrid". Fun bow to shoot. At Miller Longbow I specialize in All Bamboo Hill style Longbows. It was a 66" Hill-style longbow made by Frank Eicholtz. Im a Hill fan as well, but have no taste for some of the hunting practices of the days, or some of the videos. [8], Following his graduation from high school, Hill enrolled at age 19 at Auburn Polytechnic Institute (now Auburn University), where he continued to play baseball, football, and basketball. I am thinking about changing shafts and broadheads this year. In Canada, for example, Archery Toronto currently recognizes Hill as "one of the three greatest archers of the last century", the other two being, in that organization's estimation, the legendary Japanese Zen bowman Awa Kenz and Byron Ferguson, a native of Alabama like Hill.[15]. [6] Later, when Howard attended high school in nearby Columbiana, he proved to be an exceptional athlete in a variety of other sports, including baseball, basketball, football, and golf. It is the most aesthetically pleasing to me. Im sure everyone here would be very interested in hearing about it. I think if/when I order another it would be the Legend Stick. Very good condition. I agree.. Two piece longbow. Red Elm with bamboo lamination combination. Refinished with hunter finish. Some of the scenes in Tembo were staged. Byron Ferguson, however, did not split a wooden arrow but telescoped a modern aluminum arrow into another. And Howard Hill came up much in the discussion of course. While performing in the role of an archer in The Adventures of Robin Hood (starring Errol Flynn), Hill made perhaps the most iconic bow-and-arrow shot in American film history: Robin Hood shooting his own arrow to split a competitor's arrow already embedded in a distant target. On February 17, 1955, Hill appeared as a contestant on You Bet Your Life, a popular American quiz series hosted on both radio and television by comedian Groucho Marx. If so whats you favorite model? I've made about a dozen backed flatbows and a couple selfbows. You must log in or register to reply here. The aluminum and carbon-fiber arrow shafts used by modern archers are more consistent and straighter than wood arrows, making for more consistent shots. I now own a couple of Big 5s. This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. By they were the early pioneers that brought bowhunting to the fore front. You can assume this bow has straight limbs and that the bow is sa Used. Good grief. Lion and Howard Hill vs. This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. I like a Hill style ASL and I actually shoot that style the best. Always regretted not bringing my Alaskan for him to sign. In the federal census of 1910 his given name is "Lemuel H. Hill"; on his 1918 draft registration he signed Howard H. Hill; in the 1920 census he is documented "Howard L.[emuel] Hill"; and on his 1922 marriage license he is recorded once again as "Howard H. Hill". I loved this bow. There's many photos and lots of info there. And a different mindset by both hunters and the viewing public at large. 08/09/2019 Comments Off on When Bowhunter Howard Hill Took an Elephant Archery, . They eat there fill right where the make the kill. I just can't afford one yet. Its easy to judge sixty years ago with a 2010 mindset. Well today I received the bow and put about 30 arrows, 2016 Easton Lites through it, I felt no hand shock, elbow pain or wrist slap. And by the way, Fred and Howard Hill got along fine.dont know who told you Fred hated himit was not so. 1. That is how I picked up my Northern Mist. Subs Phone Hours: M-Th 9am to 5pm (mtn. Great Plains - "El Dorado" - 35@28 - 68" - 16897. They are feather light in the hand and have excellent maneuverability. Youre welcome. And the Hitler comment was just stupid; a far cry from one to the other and any reference there was ignorant and not called for. Wouldnt mind another. I watched Tembo at the Strand Theater in Shreveport Louisiana back in the early 50s with my Dad and Mother. 3.0 out of 5 stars Tembo/Howard Hill. One piece longbow. I got that from the Book I remember Papa Bear Also I worked for Bear Archery in the Late 80s and I had spoke with a lot of people who actually knew Fred Bear and I remember having a discussion with one of Bears closest friends at the plant and we discussed the impact early archers and how much we had to thank them for the sport we now know. (1), Great Plains Would you go backset, straight or string follow and why ? You can assume this bow has straight lim USED - Right handed. Remember, it is easy to overbow yourself with too heavy a draw weight bow. In it Wiles reveals that although Hill had split the end off of several arrows, he was unable to split the arrow exactly as scripted (from end-to-end). The son of farmers John F. and Mary E. Hill, he and his sister grew up in rural Shelby County, where he encountered wild animals from an early age. Howard Hill "Tembo" Longbow, 68", 60 lb. "Hunter". Hehe, you can stop dreaming now. Not only is Howard the only man to be inducted into the hall of fame strictly for his ability with a bow and arrow, but he is also the only man to win 196 archery field tournaments in succession. Not like today with hunters wearing their own HD kill cams on top of their hats or mounted over their stands. 2 Howard Hill quivers $95 each. [11] They remained together for 53 years, until Howard's death at age 75 in February 1975. Hey all, I am looking to get a Howard Hill bow in the next few months. Folks come from near and far to see Byrons shooting. On October 31, 1922, he married Elizabeth Hodges, a native of Ashville, Alabama, who was his former high-school English teacher. At LRU, we are dedicated to sharing the power of traditional archery with all "wrong-handed" southpaws. We use our newsletter for promotional sales and local shoot information. Yep. He was an actor and showman as well as archerbefore 1940. time) Please include what you were doing when this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page. [21] In that televised broadcast, Hill describes the most challenging trick shot he ever performed and also briefly discusses his experiences hunting elephants with a bow and arrow. (1), Wapiti Longbow - Byron Ferguson - "Safari "- 40@28 - 68" - 2065. I am just thankful for it. What I saw in the movie was staged hunts and staged sets. "Buffalo". (1), Big Jim (1), Allen Archery The baby lion cub you could tell that the film crew set up that shot with all of the animals skeletons leading to the entrace of the den. (1), Jack Harrison (1), Wolf Paw Archery (1), Flying Eagle "Redman" You can assume this bow has straight limbs and that the bow is safe and shootable. Right Handed. The brandnew, but straight traditional, "LegendStick", made by Howard Hill Archery, Craig Ekin, Montana, USA. You can assume this bow has straight limbs and that the bow is safe and s Used. [12][13] Soon, his growing involvement working in Hollywood films as an archery expert, stuntman, and adviser prompted the Hills to move to Los Angeles, California, where by 1940 they owned a home at 12007 Saticoy Street and Howard identified his full-time occupation then as a performer or "Artist" in motion pictures. I have a Howard Hill Halfbreed named "Chili Maker". On Your Own Adventures seems to be a good show too. Three piece longbow. I got all excited just to see a longbow. I also have a Howard Hill Tembo, 68", 63#@ 28 and a Bobby Lofton Osage 68", 67# @ 28". Vancouver, March 2, 2023 - Element79 Gold Corp. (CSE:ELEM) (OTC:ELMGF) (FSE:7YS) ("Element79 Gold", the "Company") announces that it has engaged new marketing providers as contracts with its former service providers are completing. Home Forums Campfire Forum Howard Hill Tembo Very Disappointing. Right Handed. 3-Piece longbow. Left Handed. i would like to know that !! One piece longbow. . Copyright 2023 Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear. Finally, a specially constructed arrow with a large bladed head was used and shot at the target arrow along a concealed wire. . (1), Instinctive Archery It seems that the shot at the first buck was perfect. +$5.99 shipping. I dont judge individuals by their personality unless I really know them, and that still doesnt warrant me to judge them. One piece longbow. A quick look at my Big Five (68", 55#@28") shows that all 4 bamboo lams are tapered. Dodge, dip, duck, dive, dodge . I dont like to feel as though I have been tricked in someway and that is always the way I feel when I see Howard or even Byron! We would not have the Archery Seasons and privileges in Bowhunting that we enjoy today. Cloudflare Ray ID: 7a2a97e9dd6d7873 Owners & Operators - Howard Hill Archery. Bob Munden is on it showing his exibition shooting & he is good. An elderly gentleman that my wife befriended on a flight to Kansas last year recently gifted me a HH Tembo and a custom John Schultz longbow. I was very disappointed in this movie and it really went against my view of Howard Hill. miller longbow. In case you havent heard he has been dead for quite a while so I suppose it hasnt been lately. (1), Black River I love the old Schulz built Tembos. Ooops.. Pronghorn - 62@28 - 60" - PROS6260DA Lots of nice bows. It has been a great emotion to see again this movie now, because I am a bow hunter and Howard Hill is a legend.Now I can see this movie all the time I wish. W USED - Left handed. They seem to go with wood arrows and back quivers like pie and ice cream, lol Hope you enjoy your new Bow!:D. JavaScript is disabled. I currently shoot a 64" Martin Bamboo Viper and am looking into a 70" model like a Big 5 or Wesley special. You cant judge an era unless you lived in that era, under the influence of what life was like back then..the very beginning of modern archery and bowhunting pretty much. (46), 2-Piece Sold Date; Source . I also have a Howard Hill Tembo, 68", 63#@ 28 and a Bobby Lofton Osage 68", 67# @ 28". (1), Sky I ran into a guy that's made laminated recurves. Start Free Trial or Sign In to see what it's worth. Get yourself the Shultz DVD, "Hitting 'Em Like Howard Hill" and get ready for a very different archery experience. I am sure that because of him many hunters took up archery. So, if you want a bow similar to what Howard shot, you have three choices -- Wesley Special, Big 5 or Tembo. 1-Piece longbow. It is a fast, smooth wood. Yall can blame me for the future purchases. That is all I was saying. We woul NEW - Left handed. I like Elk Chronicles by the RMEF. Signed by Earl and Ann Hoyt. We would never knowingly se Used. Black leather wrap. The scene where he arrows a crocodile was so fake you could tell that it was a swimmer in a crocodile skin, Then I saw Howard use a human as bait, I thought was just foolish. Where longer distance shots are the norm. You must be logged in to reply to this topic. (55), Custom Tracks Across Africa is not too bad. (1), Fox Very good condition. You can assume this bow has straight limbs and that the Used. (1), Blue Ridge Archery Skip to content. Osage orange & honey locust lamination combination. And the Hitler comment was just stupid; a far cry from one to the other and any reference there was ignorant and not called for. The cheetah and the crocodile is tapered, and they also have more rounded belly corners. Hes a great archer, and I admire him as an archer. Do some research into makers and bows and get an idea what you are looking at and what draw weight range you want. a 65# bow should shoot at least 180 fps and may exceed that minimum considering variables in bow length, draw length, and arrow weight). Like all Wesleys it consists of 5 Bamboo lams, only known extra options are the antler tips. Howard Hill TEMBO Archery Movie Advertising Poster 1952. Our bows will generally shoot a minimum speed of 115 feet per second plus the weight of the bow . On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. Stick to his shooting prowess, and do buy into the different time point of view, and you will not be disappointed. You found yourself a good lady. Top critical review. I figured I needed a Hill style quiver to go with the bow so I made one with some leather that has been in a closet for a few years awaiting a project. During his career, he produced 23 films about archery for Warner Bros. On September 12, 1918, during World War I, he registered for the United States military, but the war ended just two months later, so he never entered the service. "Lemuel" is verified as Hill's first name in the, free enrollment required for archives access. When I was 15 in 1952 , my mother bought me one of the best Christmas presents ever! One piece longbow. Performance & security by Cloudflare. I've also heard Craig say that he would put juniper in a class with bamboo in terms of smoothness and punch. I doubt very many here ever shot a field round or an animal round. I had a Big 5 for a good long while, somehow it got away from me. They didnt talk to him at all about it though. 72# @ 28" 68" length. Draw weight is 55 26", bow is in great shape only a couple minor handling marks. I have recently joined the HH club. I have two. Noones perfect and as far as Im concerned, to treat anyone like they were, unfairly puts them on a pedestal they dont belong on. Howard Hill used the video footage and the story from his African hunt to finally make the highly successful movie, "Tembo." (See Day 4) To learn more about hunting, check out John E. Phillips' book, "How to Hunt Deer Up Close with Bows, Muzzleloaders . But if you read some of the early accounts of Freds hunting experiences his own long range, questinable draw and pray shots would be frowned upon today as well. Howard was one of archery's early writers and his . You can assume this bow has straight limbs and that the bow is safe and shootable. Anyone know of any info on building a bow with a similar design to the Hill bows ? It was a movie for crying out loud. Years ago I had a Northen Mist string fallow bowcant remember the model. (6), 3-Piece howard hill ol one shot. First thing to consider, is that when you talk about a HH bow, these days you almost has to specify a HH style or "D" style bow as well, as opposed to a Hill R/D bow etc. I . If it was in bow range he shot at it. You can assume this bow has straight limbs and that the bow is safe and shootable. Very good condition. Partially finished bows may be ordered with a traditional straight handle in any of our longbow models. Im with you Van. Tom Clum and his sons built this store from the ground up with the help of many hands and good friends. I have had the privilege of meeting Fred Bear in person. Right Handed. (1), Sky Archery It's then called a Halfbreed. A primitive skills and aboriginal technology message board for those interested in Stone Age, Bushcraft, Survival skills and Pal. or Best Offer. Any of our bow models up to 85# can be made with a large grip pull-apart metal sleeve, and a small grip sleeve can be fitted on bows up to 70#, for an additional $150.00 charge. [10], Earlier, in 1937 for Spectrum Pictures, Hill had performed in the Western The Singing Buckaroo, portraying the character Maneeto, a Native American friend of the film's star, Fred Scott. It didn't look like there was any taper in these lams, but there certainly should have been. Maybe some of you old timers could explain! [21] He and his game partner then attempt to win the show's grand-prize of $1,500; but they lose, failing to answer correctly a question relating to the Battle of Hastings. (32), 55-59# $485. (1), A&H Archery TBMADMIN wrote: Some of the scenes in Tembo were staged. Times were different, people were different, and we didnt have a nation of know-it-alls with I-Pods, computers, and newborn ethics that we apply to times already passed. The man is a savant with lots of nerve! You can assume this bow has straight limbs and that the bow is safe and shootable. Never saw Howard in person . A few small scratches. (1), Yogi Longbows . Most of the rest of it is junk. I have owned and still own several HHA bows. Very good condition. (1), High Meadows You can assume this bow has straight limbs and that the bow is safe and shootable. You can assume this bow has straight limbs and that the bow is safe and sh USED - Left handed. HH was there as the curtain was drawn (yes we had curtains back then) before the show. You can assume this bow has straight limbs and that the bow is safe and USED - Left handed. Howard Hill was born on November 13, 1899, in Wilsonville, Shelby County. Found it. For one, camera equipment back then was huge and cumbersome. Hill's father crafted a bow and set of arrows for his son out of white oak and river cane, and he started shooting when he . I like the dished grip and have made a couple bows with something very close in shape and size. (1), Grey Wolf $24.99. That one is 66" 46@27" and No. Own a legendary Howard Hill longbow with traditional Howard Hill accessories. I have the Big 5 and Tembo and like them both really well, and cannot tell any difference in performance. It is not my fastest bow, nor is it the one I shoot best, but it is definitely the one I shoot the most, enjoy the most, and most want to master. Its easy to judge sixty years ago with a 2010 mindset. USED - Right handed. Scratches and dings. 1-Piece longbow. Ethics is a good thing. "Custom by Mike Hayes Compton '16" $350. (7), White Bison We would never knowingly sel Used. Some of his great trips were filmed or documented, including Howard Hill vs. (2), Longbow The Tembo has a bit of kick but the more I shoot it the more I like it. It was a different time but you cant understand that with your modern fetchin-up. It was actually a really good show. A couple very small scratches but otherwise in very good condition. It is an honor to continue in the tradition of Howard's craftsmanship, begun over 40 years ago, and to pass on to you our patented bows designed by the master himself. One piece longbow. 70-100 yard shots at goats and deer, 60 yard shots at squirrels, bagging 50 squirrels/rabbits in one weekend, etc. Used. i think they were straight. You can assume this bow has straight limbs and that the b USED - Left handed. Finally, his gravestone in Alabama is simply inscribed "Hill". Oh, and when was the last time you saw Howard Hill? Halfbreed. No one can argue that times are different, but I still will never understand why bow hunters of yesteryear thought it was a good idea to launch some arrows at 60 plus yards??? The action you just performed triggered the security solution. You can assume this bow has straight limbs and that the bow is safe and shootable. A different time. IN VENDITA! I may sart using it as a template for my bows. They are feather light in the hand and have excellent maneuverability. Your IP: You can assume this bow has straight limbs USED - Right handed. Hello! Top Rated Plus. I have shot a bunch of Redman bows, and they are very nice. (66), Production We would never knowingly se Used. Bamboo laminations under brown glass. This 3-lam bamboo bow was designed after Howard Hill's world famous "Gran-Ma" that downed three of Africa's Rogues. (1), Morrison This bow is located in Alaska Contact Joe at [email protected] Visit Bowsite.com: I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just. Tried to share a pic from imgur but that app has apparently flamed out. One piece longbow. You must log in or register to reply here. The anaconda was really lame. Champion archer Howard Hill was born in Wilsonville, Alabama, on November 13, 1899. . It averaged 146 fps with the slowest at 131 fps and the fastest 157 fps, suprised the heck out of me. Howard Hill was born on 13 November 1899 in Wilsonville, Alabama, USA. Glad to see there is at least one old timer around. You surely can't blame the bow for that miss. I review Draw Force and Performance of the Wesley Special. I had a Big 5 that was a very nice shooting bow, so did I sold it a while back, I remember back when they had a promotion where if you shot a quarter tossed in the air from a set distance along with signed statements from 2 witnesses they would mount it on an arrow head, I managed to do it only took me 37 shots. Basically pick the one that aesthetically appeals to you. The only reason I keep it is because on Weds. I was quite young but remember it well. Be prepared to learn a different way to shoot. You can assume this bow has straight limbs and that the bow is safe and shootable. Performance & security by Cloudflare. Made with 3 lams of bamboo all placed behind the riser, it has a laminated bamboo handle grip. [3] To accomplish that feat he used a 41-inch-long (100 cm) arrow while pulling a 115-pound bow. "HSS-TD". Instinctive Archery Carbon Vapor SS - 44@28 - 56" - 040312. I thank them all. Left Handed. I maust say that I feel the same way about the film. In the United States Census of 1940, Hill stated that his highest level of education achieved was completion of two years of college. Recurve All Howard Hill longbows are laminated, with fiberglass backing for a maximum of strength and durability. Truly the top of the line! Oddly enough, there are people who dont like guys that publish or write for Traditional Bowhunter. The Outhouse Channel I coined from Dave Peterson. (1), Longhorn Pin Chris was merely using a very common way of making his point. Some of you need to grow up and think. I know good longbows can get pricey but hunting with a longbow is on my bucket list. Thats not only the way they did it back then, its also the way its done now in all movies:PVan.