This adds about five pounds more weight than the Santee, but you can take the seat out if youre loading the kayak onto a rack or trailer. Hurricanes two recent fishing kayaks, the SweetWater 126 and the Skimmer Angler DLX, are currently out of production while the company ramps up production on its bestselling recreational models to meet unprecedented demand. Nick runs you through our Sit-On-Top and recreational line-up of kayaks that all share much of the performance and "Sea Kayak DNA" from our touring models. Perception is part of the Confluence Outdoor family, the same group that owns Dagger and Wilderness Systems. Full review. The rear deck felt a little higher than ideal, but with a little lift of the butt it seems a layback roll will be doable (the seat back is close to the rear too). Stable enough for beginners, it also offers superb edging performance and efficiency for more experienced paddlers. My wife paddles that boat much faster and farther in that boat and Han in any other boat shes been in. The touring category includes three iterations of the Sitka day-tourer for all different sizes of paddlers (XT, LT, ST); the flagship Fathom, Eddylines longest solo kayak, designed for extended wilderness trips; and the tandem Whisper, for paddling pairs who want to get out for day-long or multi-day trips. I will skip them all and say I feel very strongly that the Eddyline is a superior boat and well worth the additional money. For my build, the thigh braces are in the perfect position, the foot braces have excellent extension and I actually have room to move my feet rather than be stuck in a tight V (and there is more room after the footpegs!). With the Skagit (Pronounced Ska-jit. Ive not paddled either, but the pronounced keel on the Eddyline would give me pause. With their candy colors and glossy finishes, Eddyline kayaks are hard to miss. Thanks. If youre looking for maximum comfort and stability, yet want Eddylines cool looks, the Sandpiper has got you covered. I spent more, and I feel I got more. One of the oldest brands in kayaking, Eddyline Kayaks was founded by the legendary Tom Derrer in 1971, before kayaks were commercially available in the USA. I was thinking about purchasing the Malone VersaRail along with their SeaWings- any experience with these. Thanks to Eddyline's many attributes, they are worth the investment. Choosing to buy used means you can get a quality kayak for less. Was it the seat, feet/legs position, the thigh braces, backrest or what? Dave, Tracer vs FathomI felt I needed to add my voice, since mine is the Tracer for sale on craigslist in Apex. The ABS bulkheads on these boats give them inherent buoyancy even when the cockpit fills with water, making them among the safest recreational kayaks you can buy. It all started in the backyard of Derrers house in Colorado, where Tom started building his first whitewater kayaks from fiberglass. With an extremely efficient hull shape perfect for accelerating and carrying speed, as well as making tight turns and carving through the water, the Eddyline Fathom is an excellent boat for any level of kayaker looking to enjoy and develop their touring and sea kayaking skills. Not sure if that matters, but the bottom flexes up a bit too easy compared to my Tempest 170 or the fiberglass P&H Outlander I have, when I push on it with my hand with the boat upside down. There are a select few on the West Coast as well. Choose an Eddyline kayak if the touring models catch your eye. There is also an option for the FS version, which comes with a deluxe frame seat (FS). The lightweight acrylic-ABS material Hurricane uses for their thermoform kayaks is quite strong and durable. In summary, I dont think its fair to say these materials are all completely different but its also not accurate to say they are all the same. Even here I saw a post that it is too small (but also that it is spacious enough, from other posters). Caribbean 109. 2.4K views, 36 likes, 5 loves, 40 comments, 7 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Headwaters Kayak: Heavy weight battle of the Ultra Light Recreational Kayak Hurricane Santee VS Eddyline Sandpiper | Heavy weight battle of the Ultra Light Recreational Kayak | By Headwaters Kayak Thanks, there is one on Craigslist . It also makes these kayaks suitable for bringing along a small child or four-legged companion, or casual kayak fishing. I started with a Necky Vector 13 (no longer made) and I've had my Eddyline Caribbean 14 for a year. Powered by Discourse, best viewed with JavaScript enabled, https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/1910405/lighter-sot#latest, http://www.stellarkayaksusa.com/S16S-surf-ski. To me a touring kayak should be able to hold gear and track well while it carries that gear. Its difficult to gauge a fair price for used kayaks, especially as supply has not quite caught up with the increased demand for paddling gear thats happening now. Carbonlite sheets are heated and vacuum-formed into the kayak mold. The Sandpiper 130 has a large cockpit making getting in or out of the kayak a breeze. Not too much trouble to do. He strongly prefers the Eddyline. I sat (did not paddle) the Eddyline Fathom and it felt extremely well built and sturdy. Eddylines proprietary Carbonlite ABS material is applied in two layers for added strength, and then coated with an acrylic exterior to protect from abrasions and UV damage. Follow the links below to start viewing specifications, prices and reviews of specific Hurricane kayak models in our Paddling Buyers Guide. The most important mechanical properties of ABS are resistance and toughness. Highly stable and lightweight, the Caribbean 12 has an efficient hull design that provides exceptional tracking. The Vector was a little easier to spin because of the flat bottom, but Im learning to carve turns anyways, so not a big deal. At only 40 lbs, it is very easy to store, transport, and carry to and from the water. Choose Dagger if you are considering multi-water paddling that includes swiftly moving rivers or rapids, or if you want an extremely durable kayak that can handle repeated impacts with rocks. Native Watercraft Necky NuCanoe Ocean Kayak Old Town Pelican Perception . Plus, the curved hull make me think it is not a first line boat. Length: 13 (396.2 cm)Width: 28 (71 cm)Weight: 48 lb (21.8 kg)Capacity: 390 lb (176.9 kg). The hull is rigid and does not flex when underway - the deck flexes a little bit when pressure is put on some of the flater and wider spots. The Vector was a little easier to spin because of the flat bottom, but Im learning to carve turns anyways, so not a big deal. They offer kayaks longer than 15 feet for expedition travel, ocean play and day touring. EVER SINCE it was found in 2003, Jackson Kayaks has been known for innovation and attention to detail. The Delta 14, 15.5 GT and 17.5 (Tandem) kayaks fall under this category. Choosing an Eddyline Kayak based on intended use. Length: 10'9" (327.7 cm) 30" (76.2 cm) Weight: 40 lb (18.1 kg) Capacity: 250 lb (113.4 kg) The Caribbean 109 is the lightest among Eddyline's sit-on-top kayaks and one of the most lightweight sit-on-tops on the market today. If paddling events like symposiums are being held, dealers will bring boats for test-paddling. For over 40 years Perception Kayaks have been at the forefront of the kayaking industry, introducing more people to the sport than potentially any other brand in the world. If a deal seems too good to be true, it likely is. In 1973, Eddyline Kayaks moved to Seattle and began building touring kayaks designed by Werner Furrer Sr. (whose son later founded Werner Paddles). how much did he want for the boat? Today, their inflatable kayaks are used and loved all over the world. Kayaks hold their value well, and expect to pay anywhere from 50 to 80 percent of the new sticker price. You can view the specific dimensions of each Hurricane kayak in the Paddling Buyers Guide. Eddyline focuses on making light kayaks that are easy to maneuver and transport. Delta focuses more on touring kayaks, although they also make quality recreational kayaks. Privacy Policy. They landed on the thermoforming construction method because it produces light, strong and beautiful kayaks. When I sat in the other Tracer yesterday, I did think twice if the seat width would accomodate me over a few hours paddling or not. Bring a dog, a camera, the groceries, and don't forget the fishing rod. Eddyline kayaks are made in Burlington, Washington. I got mine with a rudder and Im glad I did. I called a dealer and asked if I would fit in the Tracer. Damage to a Hurricane kayak is most likely to occur from over-tightening the kayak when securing it to a trailer or roof rack. sadly, at the moment, the only tandem model out on market in a thermoformed ABS hull is the Hurricane. Not so handy for hitting submerged logs or rocks, but Im sure it helps it track better and perhaps gain some speed with less corrective strokes needed. Eddyline kayaks are finished with a UV- and abrasion-resistant coating that will protect the boat from most impacts. Here are answers to some of the most common questions about Hurricane kayaks. The best advice we can offer is to always test paddle before buying any boat. Finishes & fittings are top notch. For starters, understanding how they used the kayak will reveal the boats capabilities. If any replacement parts are needed, they can be ordered through Eddylines website. Award winning designs that make paddling in all water conditions a breeze. This Hurricane Santee 126 is a super light kayak and easily carried to and from water . Length: 14' / 427 cm. Never noticed the slightest flex in or out of the water. But the overal range is similar I agree - just like every car manufacturer has a range of cars, but can you compare a VW GTI with a Chevy Aveo, except for size? Fishing kayaks by 3 Waters are known for excellent stability and comfort. No glue slop - seams nice and straight, cockpit coaming and hatch lips all glued in properly with no leakage at the seams. Youve got it all wrong. Slylark vs. Santee 116 Length: 14 (426 cm)Width: 29 (73.5 cm)Weight: 50 lb (22.5 kg)Capacity: 350 lb (158 kg). The Phoenix 160 is slow, like the Tarpon 160. It was snug but not tight and I can't tell if it would be an issue after a few hours paddling without trying - it jsut feels good sitting on the grass -;). Oak Orchard Canoe and Kayak, we ship anywhere in the U.S. and Canada from our great selection of kayaks, canoes, and Yakima - car and truck racks. The frame seat is equally comfortable while paddling or as your camp chair. The impact resistance can be amplified by increasing the proportions of polybutadiene in relation to styrene and acrylonitrile although this causes changes in other properties. And most unfortunately, when I had it over my head, I stumbled and threw the loaded boat aside just to save breaking an ankle. We take you through some of the finer points of Eddyline Kayaks and what to look for when checking out thermoform kayak construction. With its huge cockpit opening and a 28-inch beam, it will let you take a kid or a dog along, or even do some fishing. Hurricane builds recreational sit-inside and sit-on-top kayaks for all skill levels of paddlers, focusing mainly on the types of kayaks that are best for day outings. That should tell me what I need to know. The best way to know if an Eddyline kayak is a good fit for you is to try it out. . What are some important questions you should ask the seller? With this complex network of slow-moving waterways, its no surprise that some of the most formidable recreational kayak builders call this region home. He strongly prefers the Eddyline. I'm a 5'3 150 lb woman with moderate to low upper body strength, and plan to use the kayak once or twice a week, so ease of handling and loading onto and off of my car is paramount to me. Renting the kayak for an outing is an excellent opportunity to assess fit, comfort and performance before you commit to a purchase. TracerI have an older Tracer (2003) that I bought in the fall of 2005 when the dealer was liquidating unmoved merchandise. Where Eddyline kayaks are manufactured in Burlington, Washington, Delta builds their boats near Vancouver, British Columbia. If you cant see any, it doesnt hurt to ask the owner how theyve stored the kayak. 12 ft is the maximum length I can store, but even that is pushing it. It could be that Carbonlite is more expensive than Trylon; they are basically the same. I think the Fathom and the Tracer are as different as they can be - just about the only thing similar is the overall length of 16'6". And check your e-mail for a message from me on your Craigs list ad. Just like any kayak you are considering, it is crucial to try before you buy. Head to your nearest Eddyline dealer and chat with one of the staff therethey know boats. Let's see what Bonafide Kayaks has to offer in 2023. It is extremely hard to be comfortable in a pure sea kayak for a large, tall person. These kayaks are longer and narrower than the other Eddyline boats, making them more efficient to paddle. She said "no way". They feature retractable skegs (or fins under the hull) for enhanced tracking, a common design element on touring boats. Excessive UV damage may mean the kayak hull needs to be refinished. It could be that Carbonlite is more expensive than Trylon; they are basically the same. Enjoy! But that's something I can replace if need be as I've done in my other boat. The Eddyline is faster and tracks better than the Vector 13. Current Designs makes rotomolded plastic kayaks as well as ultralight Aramid composite boats. A local EMS had a sale going on and Hurricanes were on sale, so I jumped. In contrast, the Fathom fits and just feels natural. Thanks! Eddyline also focuses more on shorter recreational, fishing and day touring kayaks. It is a great paddling machine that makes you want to be on the water longer and go further. Consider setting up an email alert to be notified when one is posted. All of Eddylines kayaks are built with lightweight materials and will be some of the lightest boats when compared to similar models from other brands. I am most interested in speed and handling in rough water. We may vacation up your way, this year. It probably has something to do with its super-stable, excellent tracking Swede form hull. The comfortable SOT seat sits high for comfort and visibility and is made out of high-quality marine grade materials. #1. Length: 119 (358 cm)Width: 24 (61 cm)Weight: 35 lb (15.9 kg)Capacity: 270 lb (122.5 kg). Maybe you meant the other way around? It is a bit wider, than the S18S you owned. Eddyline calls the material Carbonlite 2000, Hurricane uses Trylon. The easiest way to start searching for used kayaks is by sifting through online classifieds. The Caribbean felt very stable in the chop, and the rudder sure came in handy. They are at home in exposed coastal environments or choppy conditions. This lineup includes best-sellers like the Skylark, which is an ideal boat for newer kayakers who want something they can turn easily when exploring calm waters. For that reason, the company has temporarily paused production of certain kayak models, streamlining their offerings to meet the demand for the most popular boats. One sheet forms the top of the kayak, and another makes the hull, giving them a glossy, two-tone aesthetic. Hope to paddle with the Hartwell crew. They have rigged, so you can add a back-band or SOT Seat. Hurricane kayaks are made in North Carolina. @Raftergirl said: I paddle on rivers in current as well as lakes, so conditions vary quite a bit. This version of Eddyline Caribbean 12 has been specifically customized for fishing. They come in a range of sizes and colors to suit everyone. Based on the classic Sandpiper, the new Sandpiper 130 has been extended to 13 feet, given an 18 inch oval rear hatch, and a removable frame seat. Hurricane kayaks are made with their proprietary Trylon ABS plastic laminate. This new "Relax" hull is tuned to maximize your day on the water no matter whether it's your first kayak outing or you're practically a pro.