I am buying a 2020 GMC Denali 1500 . It shows 10000 miles on the odometer but the engine hours show 663. The cross-hatching allows the rings the seal against the walls of the cylinder or liner. Streamline compliance for drivers and fleet managers to keep your fleet productive and safe. Meet our clients and learn about the industries we serve. Get ready to get your diesel engine aftertreatment education on! Still, its becoming more evident that this may not be the best method. By knowing a vehicle's engine hours, youll have a better grasp over its actual condition. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[336,280],'tiremeetsroad_com-banner-1','ezslot_8',112,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-tiremeetsroad_com-banner-1-0'); In general, idle hours count when your car is not moving with your engine running at low RPMs. At what ratio do you start to worry that the used truck you bought really has more miles, based on the hours meter, than the odometer says? The accelerator pedal position, referred to as APPS, is responsible for telling the ECM how depressed the pedal is. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -, By logging into your account, you agree to our. Quadrasteer 4-wheel steering. I idle this thing constantly to keep warm/cool and my idle hours are only 1800 1 PresenceAccurate3035 8 hr. Mine idle time is 10% of run time -- I can't see this being feasible unless it counts idle minutes at stoplights (and I'm not a city driver). This is why manufacturers usually classify applications with high idle times assevere dutyand recommend a more aggressive maintenance schedule. One hour of idle time consumes around one gallon of diesel fuel. JavaScript is disabled. :drink '08 mercedes sl550, mars red . That means you are spending $2.67 an hour or about 4.5 cents per minute to have your truck or equipment running at an idle. Answer (1 of 15): I'm going to elaborate on the calculations. For more information, please see our Software. To get a complete burn of the fuel, a diesel needs a very high combustion chamber temperature. Learn me something today. link to Is Rebuilding a Diesel Engine Worth It? [emailprotected] Idle hours also affects anything rubber under the hood including belts, hoses, and weather sealing. Probably end up selling for around 35-40k. Answered by Billy Castanon on Sat, Jun 11, 2022 15:21 PM, As a general rule, freshly rebuilt or new diesel engines should be run at idle for, The best thing you can do to warm up your diesel engineafter letting it idle for, Myth: Diesel engines need to warm up at idle for 5 to 10 minutes or more especially on cold days before driving them. When you think about that, over time or in the larger scope of a big company, this can add up to millions of dollars wasted. Whether you are doing a monthly inspection on a generator or a trucker waiting for your load, there are a lot of situations where you will be idling. OTOH, in a car, it's difficult to gauge hours vs miles, unless you just drive nearly a fixed amount of time each day. I love the tow haul mode with the allison-great with loads! This is why several manufacturers have idled an idle time out where the engine will automatically shut down after a preset amount of time set by the owner. Trucks that operate while idle for their primary application would produce inaccurate cost per hour data if measured by mileage. By knowing a trucks engine hours to miles, you can adequately estimate the lifecycle cost to the company. This can be a great alternative and end all the component wear just run to do all those side things drivers want. has covered then you need to multiply the time by 33 which in turn gives you the Please register or login to enable Dark Mode. Texas has specific requirements and exemptions for GPS, ELD, and IFTA laws. High idle for diesel engines is when the engine runs at a higher than normal idle speed. Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS) Failure - Cummins 5.9L. I only idle in the coldest of winter nights maybe 10 a year. Does the truck being in accessory mode (pressing start button w/o pressing brake pedal) run up idle time? N- stands for That is, until I came across this odometer reading. Regardless, idling for a long period of time adds stress to the valvetrain, intake manifold, exhaust, injector tips and plugs. Understanding both metrics and how a fleet utilizes its trucks will give you the best method that should be incorporated into future projections. But on the highway, given there is little to no traffic, you can easily go 600 miles in 6 hours. For drivers who either sleep in their truck or idle for very long periods. I only have 3 idle hours on my truck. That's a rather low number of hours. Convert all minutes to hours for your time unit by dividing them by 60. A cylinder should have what is calledcross-hatchingand not be reflective. My idle hours are abnormally high as well. Diesels need to be run under a load to get the best out of them. 2 Years Factoring a vehicles mileage will help when monitoring its chassis, suspension, and driveline components. So maybe it is tied to the speedometer. Is it really worth it? Yours is over 50%. 115k miles. Cookie Policy - An APU provides power to those things the driver might want the engine to idle for. As there are 60 Minutes in one the distance, which is covered with the speed of the car. Thus, your engine theoretically has 120,000-140,000 miles on it. The turbo must be allowed to spin down before the oil vacates. How much fuel does a diesel use at idle? A 6.4L Powerstroke and an LB7 Duramax. It is quite a lot, but it's a work truck, and I rather stay warm and deal with consequences earlier in the life of the vehicle than stay cold but have only a few idle hours. If a fleet includes vehicles with power take-off (PTO) equipped, the truck needs to run to charge the battery continuously. So if you want to know the number of miles the car This information is actually in the vehicle's owner's manual. A truck engines operating time is monitored by an engine meter. Watch our videos to see the latest in driver safety, coaching best practices, risk management, and more. Each company we work with has specific experience requirements for their drivers. 04-07-2021 Step 1 Determine how many hours have accumulated on your engine. Proven tuning, I feel the 74% is pretty accurate. Published 05-02-2021 For one heavy truck, the cost of idle fuel waste averages about $4,000. Re: miles to hours or hours/mile The hoursx250x12500 is close, but not really. Expert Insights and Advice. I work as a govt fleet mechanic and we use the 35 mph standard as we have a ton of cop cars that sit idling at intersections 24 hours a day thus, the mileage is useless to us when determining when a vehicle needs maintenance. According to Godding, if you have a pickup truck with a diesel engine, you need to change the oil every 7,500 miles, which would equal 250 engine run time hours. Been there, i NEVER turned off my f550 service truck. the engine was on is calculated based on the hours the engine was on and not based on I have a 2019 F350 with 130k as my work tuck. + Estimate based upon select sampling of Lytx client data. 3 Years I recently purchased a CNC Motorsports 540 BBC marine short block for my go fast boat. Subscribe to the Lytx blog for the latest in fleet management. Been reading here and other sites, trying to figure out how the idle hours are calculated. Close but, certainly there has to be a more accurate . The cost can be quite high for these, though. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Runs to town, equate to about once a week. Two examples: Installed a hour meter in the Ford Ranger back in '94. Without this temperature, there will be carbon build-up. I change my oil every 5000 kms. 2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4. hours to miles. One hour of idling is equal to 25 to 30 miles of driving.Thats right! What is a good mileage to engine hours ratio? I'm not sure if that's accurate or not - I doubt it is. So this is my first truck that monitors engine time. Eh Its a work truck. ago That's quite a bit. The back fuel tank would not empty-it has not been working for years obviously, so we had to have it cleaned out and a new sender put in, etc. Did you know: On average, one hour of idle time is equal to 30 miles of driving. Hi y'all. My idle hours always seem high to me, so do my engine hours. Is that a lot of hours for a typical diesel dump truck, or typical. As mentioned, youll have to do your research whats considered too many idle hours for your particular year, make, and model youre buying. Learn how we combine innovation with experience to stand out from the crowd. Any other fleet vehicle from a non-government agency, I would be suspect of too many idle hours if the used car does not come with a complete service history. We provide solutions to help fleets with driver safety, GPS fleet tracking, DOT compliance, and fuel management. ofone mile per minute is equal to 60 miles per hour. On the other hand, based on the brake pedal rubber being all wore off, it may have sat in a lot of traffic. Needing wire diagram for a plug in connectors that plug in the underwood fuse box. . That way you can get your service work done at the proper time. . if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'tiremeetsroad_com-leader-1','ezslot_9',114,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-tiremeetsroad_com-leader-1-0'); On top of that, condensation builds up in the exhaust system and, if not enough moisture evaporates, exhaust rot eventually happens. #Guides, 01-07-2021 Locate your assets and maintain a healthy fleet for increased productivity and efficiency. I keep my truck plugged in at night, and do not idle for long periods. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. Le. (91451 miles) of actual wear and tear on it. JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Posts: 25. We and our partners use data for Personalised ads and content, ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. 4. - Which is a better indicator of performance? Its pulled around a gooseneck with a small skidsteer loader on it for about half those miles. Currently, ICTA does not have a policy to directly equate engine hours to miles for service purposes, but did refer to the diesel particulate filter (DPF)-recommended service interval or 3,000 hours or 100,000 miles. I bought a 550 with around 20% idle time and it ran significantly better after a few hard towing jobs to burn everything out. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. Just wondered how everyone else's engine hours compare to actual miles. Most manufacturers recommend idles for 3 minutes before running the engine under a load. 7k is still a lot of hours though. This will cause more oil to pass by the piston rings and create a large amount of blow-by. This graph illustrates the importance of tracking both mileage and idle-time. Also these trucks can be a bit odd when counting hour's. Those are kinda high idle hour's but depending on where you live and traffic may be "normal" 2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman 1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250 Oct 18, 2020 #4 OP No Tyme It runs 8-10 mins every morning from when the temps get below 30* til it warms up. Note:There is no way to repair glazing. Feel free to join our community and fix your car on your own! Measuring a vehicles condition by its mileage has long been the benchmark, mainly due to fleets using a mileage replacement policy. For example, for a medium-duty trucks engine, one gallon of fuel processed through idling is equivalent to traveling 30 miles. Most companies and government agencies are now on a big kick to end their vehicles and equipment idle time. Garbage collection remains one of the 10 most dangerous jobs in the US. Today I am just shy of 5600 hours and 427,000 km. Even the older models will have RPMs ranging from 40,000 to 60,000. Makes that low winning bid more in perspective, right? My truck only seems to record idle hours if the truck actually idles for 1 hour. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[336,280],'tiremeetsroad_com-box-4','ezslot_6',109,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-tiremeetsroad_com-box-4-0'); Different manufacturers define idle hours differently. Learn how companies use our solutions to drive impressive results. Find diagrams and schemes for your car: owner manuals, fuse box layouts, location, wiring diagrams & circuits for engine, timing belts, and much more!