"Christian Liaigre preferred to let his designs speak for themselves," said Liaigre's studio in a statement. He had an incredible point of view that was distinctively his own. The hotels new-old Modernism and loftlike rooms attracted movie stars (including Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe, who felt so at home there that he once hurled a phone at a desk clerk) and designers like Mr. Klein, who lived there before its official opening and liked his rooms so much that he hired Mr. Liaigre to design his own apartment at the Police Building, a few blocks south. Christian Liaigre at his home in Paris. That table has been by my side for over a decade now. There was no one like him; he was a pioneer with his elegant, refined all encompassing style. Mark Cunningham, interior designer, I remember the first time I saw his Chantecaille floor lamp and was caught off guard by its beauty. Sold . I was always inspired by his warm style and the way he could balance designs that were equally understated and impactful. He embodied timeless elegance. The spaces he created are a wonderful gift. Kelly Behun, interior designer, His interiors inspired a generation of designers, myself included. It was very male and very architectural.. Mr. Liaigres design roots were French Modernism, Asian furniture, African art and riding hardware bridles, saddles and stirrups. He understood the dignity of the design process and the responsibility of designers, architects, and craftspeople to keep evolving. Jeffrey Bilhuber, interior designer, "Christian was a dear friend and a lovely soul with incredible taste. The spaces he created are a wonderful gift. Kelly Behun, interior designer, His interiors inspired a generation of designers, myself included. It was a complete aesthetic, and I dont think anyone did it better, Mr. Klein said in a phone interview. Charles Curkin is ELLE Decor's Articles Editor, covering everything related to the architecture, interior design, real estate, and travel industries, and has previously written for The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and The Paris Review. We asked design-world luminaries to share their thoughts of Liaigre and the legacy he left behind. Se continui ad utilizzare questo sito noi assumiamo che tu ne sia felice. His powerful palette of neutrals set the tone for what consumers wanted for many years, and still looks fresh today. David Duncan, lighting designer, Many designers help move us along, only a few move us forward. He was such a visionary. It is not easy to explain why his projects were so special, especially when seen from 2020. He is a master in creating elegance and comfort with impeccable style. Christian Liaigre Dark Brown Christian Liaigre Pirogue Bench for Holly Hunt, Pair Available H 14 in W 70 in D 14 in $ 8,908 Access Trade Price. To me, he was the best and most talented designer in the world. Adding, His taste and style was unmatched, and his refined simplicity and elegance stood above everybody else. Every item on this page was chosen by an ELLE Decor editor. FREE international delivery. And just how is she doing that? [9] He died on 2 September 2020 at the age of 77. His furniture was so refined, so beautiful and so well made, Mr. Schrager said. Our website, archdigest.com, offers constant original coverage of the interior design and architecture worlds, new shops and products, travel destinations, art and cultural events, celebrity style, and high-end real estate as well as access to print features and images from the AD archives. Christian Liaigre was truly one of the greatest. We will miss him and his genius but his work will endure far beyond his lifetime. They simply redefined a new idea of simplicity in design. His father was a veterinarian, and his grandfather bred horses. "Surrounded by the best craftsmen, he imagined and delivered spaces that expressed simplicity, sincerity, a modern and timeless style, alongside a natural attention to wellbeing," said his studio. May he rest in power and beauty. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Thank you for influencing so many Christian, you will be sorely missed Alyssa Kapito, interior designer, You cannot overstate the impact Christian Liaigres Montalembert hotel in Paris had on design in the early 90s. Architectural Photography Competition May 2020 Results, RTF Architectural Visualization Competition 2020 Results, RTF Essay Writing Competition April 2020 Results, Designers Days of Quarantine Contest Results, Urban Sketching Competition May 2020 Results, Architectural Writing Training Programme | WFH, 10 Masters options for architects interested in Landscape Architecture, Xians New Stadium with Garden Terraces unveiled by Zaha Hadid Architects, Zines and their Influence on Mainstream Design, Digital water A modern solution to the current water crisis. After all, we were fresh out the Eighties, so exuberant and colorful in fashion, and even in interior architecture in some way. He felt that to get the proportions right, the only way to do it was by hand, said Kirstin Bailey, a designer in Mr. Liaigres studio in the 1990s. All rights reserved. The creative director and founder of the design studio Liaigre, in his 35 years of work, designed homes for icons like Rupert Murdoch and Calvin Klein. Christian Liaigre www.lefrenchdesign.org The creative director and founder of the design studio Liaigre, in his 35 years of work, designed homes for icons like Rupert Murdoch and Calvin Klein. Christian Liaigre Death - Dead : Christian Liaigre Obituary : Cause of Death Unknown. Christian Liaigre did just that. (By the late 1990s, wenge wood, his signature material, had been knocked off so often that it became a design-world punch line.). You walked in and saw the possibility of how to decorate that hadnt been around since the 1930s. Christian Liaigre is something of a legend in the world of French design. Thats why his interiors are always different, depending on the clients personality and the location. The first boutique hotel on the Rive Gauche, Paris, Hotel Montalembert represents an important chapter in the history of interior architecture between 1980 and 1990. It also favored the emergence of talents and the recognition of the team's works.". He understood the dignity of the design process and the responsibility of designers, architects, and craftspeople to keep evolving. Jeffrey Bilhuber, interior designer, Christian was a dear friend and a lovely soul with incredible taste. French interior design legend and entrepreneur Christian Liaigre, known for his romantic minimalist aesthetic and whose clients included Larry Gagosian, Calvin Klein, and Karl Lagerfeld, has. The showroom opens in June 2018 and will present classic pieces of furniture alongside new designs shown in the US for the first time. His ideology derived from the belief that comfort does not lie in trivial affluence but delicacy and rareness. They were extremely sexy, but they were not an intimate, personal style, David Netto, an American designer, said in a phone interview. In our collection of Christian Liaigre benches, there are many options to choose from, although brown editions of this piece are particularly popular. Ho.Me Plus by Arbi Arredobagno: a new collection, Tessuto, the award-winning decorative radiator by Cordivari Design, Cersaie 2022 welcomes back international professionals, Casalgrande Padana presents The City Collection, Salone del Mobile.Milano has a new layout, Design and furniture trade shows: the new 2022 calendar (still being updated), La Biennale dello Stretto 2022: le tre linee dacqua, From Malaysia, emerging design in Kuala Lumpur in 2022, Renilde, a new transformable restaurant in Rotterdam, Marina di Scarlino, the exclusive sea of the Maremma, The transformation of Znins historic former sugar factory, Plants and sustainable coffee for the new Caff Triennale. Christian Liaigre is a French interior designer and decorator. Great attention to details was placed in all of his designs. Juan Montoya, interior designer, I will never forget, in the early 90s, going into Christian Liagres shop in Paris and visiting the Hotel Montalembert. I always thought of him as our generations Jean-Michel Frank and I have no doubt his legacy will live on for generations to come. Brad Ford, interior designer, His vision went beyond the field of interior design. And now it's the Guggenheim's problem. Liaigre eventually stepped down from his studio in 2016, handing over the position of creative director to long-term collaborator Frauke Meyer. I always thought of him as our generations Jean-Michel Frank and I have no doubt his legacy will live on for generations to come. Brad Ford, interior designer, Theres a stillness to his aesthetic thats welcoming and warm and his le de R residence captivates me most. His artistic background is evident in the power of his designs, finding its way into the color, shape and texture of everything from cushions to chaise longues. As a designer I have always been inspired by his work and loved incorporating his thoughtfully modern and timeless designs into many of the residential spaces I have designed. We have to keep in mind that The Mercer opened in the second half of the nineties. Christian Liaigre, who fashioned homes for the likes of Karl Lagerfeld and Calvin Klein, has passed away at the age of 77. With 28 showrooms in the world today and a wealth of projectsfrom luxury homes and yacht design to exciting new hotel and restaurant openingsunder the 35-year Liaigre belt, there was no shortage of pressure for the label to continue its legacy following the departure of its visionary founder in 2017. Privacy Policy. . The simple lines and geometry of his iconic furniture pieces and the rich palettes of bronze, beige, and grey which flooded the rooms he created are an inspiration. In 1988, Christian Liaigre designed the Hotel Montalembert in Paris. (Today Hotel Montalembert is no longer as it was in the 1990 project, as it has already undergone other interventions and some by Liaigre himself). Christian was a dear friend and a lovely soul with incredible taste. African sculptures next to Louis XV furniture, the neutrality of the architecture., He added, People were beguiled by that hotel.. His work resonated with craftsmen and architects, too, because the joinery was often the ornament. Christian Liaigre preferred to let his designs speak for themselves, said Liaigres studio on their Instagram post, adding, He created furniture and objects that reflected his dedication to beauty, a search for balance, and accuracy for proportions and perfection in detail., His origins, his background, and his passion for riding horses and the equestrian world were shown through a simple and fluidic design style enhanced by the high quality of his favorite materials: wood, leather, and bronze.. After designing a collection of cabinets in 1981, he established his studio in 1985 and opened up his first store on Rue de Varenne in Paris. What was so special about the interiors of Hotel Montalembert, then? Plus occasional updates on Dezeens services and breaking news. French interior design legend and entrepreneur Christian Liaigre, known for his romantic minimalist aesthetic and whose clients included Larry Gagosian, Calvin Klein, and Karl Lagerfeld, has died at age 77. As a designer I have always been inspired by his work and loved incorporating his thoughtfully modern and timeless designs into many of the residential spaces I have designed. You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email, or by emailing us at [emailprotected]. The living room of Rupert Murdochs New York City loft designed by Christian Liaigre. The clients still cherish them to this day. In this way, essentiality became a new version of luxury, which gradually became a new standard for interior architecture in the years to come. Liaigre: Creation 2016-2020 By Beda Achermann and Frauke Meyer, with text by Franoise-Claire Prodhon. Liaigre continued to design luxury homes in countries around the world after its founder retired in 2016. "He was so gentle, so simple and nice with me. ", Christophe Caillaud, Liaigre's CEO, adds: "An eponymous brand necessarily identifies with its creator or founder. Both men were up early for breakfast. Architectural Digest may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. He was a pioneer in his own right and created a look that no one could matchbut they all sure did try to. Michelle Gerson, interior designer, 30 Bedroom Decor Ideas For An Incredibly Sophisticated Space, The 22 Best Living Room Ideas For Beautiful Home Design, Reports: 3 children dead, 2 wounded in attack at Texas home, Kellyanne Conway, George Conway To Divorce After Decadeslong Marriage: Report, School punished teen girl for working out in sports bra in 100-degree Texas heat, ACLU says, U.S. court won't require FAA to make airplane seat size, spacing rules, 'Extremely dangerous': Spike in illegal crossings at Canada-Vermont border has feds sounding alarm. Strong, minimal, and with both form and material thoughtfully considered, the lamp is a functional sculpture. "The world is less without him. French interior design legend and entrepreneur .css-mnv24j{-webkit-text-decoration:underline;text-decoration:underline;text-decoration-thickness:0.0625rem;text-decoration-color:inherit;text-underline-offset:0.25rem;color:inherit;-webkit-transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;background-image:linear-gradient( to bottom, rgba(55, 119, 188, 0.2), rgba(55, 119, 188, 0.2) );-webkit-background-position:0 100%;background-position:0 100%;background-repeat:repeat-x;-webkit-background-size:0 0;background-size:0 0;padding-top:0.05rem;padding-bottom:0.05rem;}.css-mnv24j:hover{color:#000000;text-decoration-color:border-link-body-hover;-webkit-background-size:.625rem 3.125rem;background-size:.625rem 3.125rem;}Christian Liaigre, known for his romantic minimalist aesthetic and whose clients included Larry Gagosian, Calvin Klein, and Karl Lagerfeld, has died at age 77. Learn more Amy Zook. A guru in modern minimalism, Liaigres perfectly proportioned designs led to the likes of Larry Gagosian, Bryan Adams, and Karl Lagerfeld seeking him out while on the quest for original, high-quality, French craft furniture. Ernest de la Torre, interior designer, Just like when you see a Rolls Royce drive down the street, you could look at his work and immediately identify it as Liaigre. Everything he created was stunningly understated, but his use of luxurious, natural materials and sense of proportion made his spaces romantic and impactful. Someone formidable. Bouroullec recalled meeting Liaigre at Lecole des Arts Dcoratifs where Liaigre showed interest in one of his early furniture models. The prices for Christian Liaigre furniture can vary depending on size, time period and other attributes. There was always a sense of place, strong narrative, as well as a feeling of playfulness and of joy. Oliver M. Furth, interior designerChristian was one of those people who was innately chic. This chunky, cracked wooden stool became Mr. Liaigres calling card, its elemental shape a corrective to the fussy opulence of the 1980s. Iris Brosch. And there was not this expensive and exclusive model of hotel with small rooms in a cast-iron building in SoHo. Of the handful of maritime projects he has completed so far, Vertigo, the 67 metre ketch built by Alloy Yachts and launched in 2011, has won four prestigious prizes, among . His artful distillations of forms inspired by Brancusi and Ruhlmann popularized luxurious materials in forms inspired by African sculpture and Art Deco. Sent every Tuesday and containing a selection of the most important news highlights. September 8, 2020. He cared so about the details, high quality materials, and craftsmanship. The living room features chairs, stools, lamps and tables by furniture designer Christian Liaigre is photographed for Los Angeles Times on January. To revisit this article, select My Account, thenView saved stories. Hardcover. The passing of the iconic French interior designer Christian Liaigre was sadly announced earlier this week. French interior design legend and entrepreneur Christian Liaigre, known for his romantic minimalist aesthetic and whose clients included Larry Gagosian, Calvin Klein, and Karl Lagerfeld, has died. "We should hold the mirror to ourselves" say Turkish John Heah designs Clinique La Prairie resort for Amaala in Adjaye Associates unveils Abrahamic Family House interfaith Heatherwick Studio designs Tokyo school with "playgrounds Smith Mordak named CEO of UK Green Building Council at Michael Gove places Populous' spherical music venue on hold, Visit our comments page | Read our ! From that moment forward I kept an eye on Christian Liaigre who became a seismic influence in the world of interior design. Exhibition at Martos Gallery features new sculpture-asiinstallation by Kayode Ojo. I fell in love in his environments, I conceived a child in his environments, I wrote a book in his environments, and for good luck Im pretty sure Ive put at least one piece of his furniture or lighting in every one of my projects, in hopes that some of that Liaigre cool would rub off. The Greatest Christian Liaigre-Designed Yachts To celebrate the legacy of the late French designer Christian Liaigre, we round-up his greatest interior design successes at sea, including Abeking & Rasmussen explorer Cloudbreak and Perini Navi sailing yacht Seahawk. When studio Liaigre posted the news on Instagram, tributes poured in from anyone who had met, worked with, or influenced the iconic designer. We asked design-world luminaries to share their thoughts of Liaigre and the legacy he left behind. Lee F. Mindel, the New York-based architect wrote, Never distracted by pyrotechnics, he created spaces and the components of spaces that stand the test of time. Christian Liaigre - Designer Biography and Price History on 1stDibs Log In Sign Up Furniture Lighting Decor & Gifts Art Jewelry & Watches Fashion World of 1stDibs Sale Auctions Sorry, we're currently experiencing technical difficulties. Here are the new products and design happenings not to miss at Maison & Objet 2023, Masterpiece London Is Canceled, Nifemi Marcus-Bello Readies for His First Solo Show Stateside, and More News. Sahil Tanveer is an architect and thinker, who runs a cosmopolitan Architecture studio with work across the country. Liaigres rooms were graphic and confident, minimal but not anemic. Christian Liaigre Death | Christian Liaigre Obituary - On the 5th of September 2020, Junior (@fenaldinho) confirmed the death of Christian Liaigre a legendary french minimalist designer has passed. Christian Liaigre wants to have it both ways. His influence from the equestrian world could identify a few of the first creations that Liaigre made. I took the first check I received from my first design job and bought a tiny bronze Liaigre drinks table. His work has always been an inspiration to me. Still chic and sleek, but much more personal. Never distracted by pyrotechnics, he created spaces and the components of spaces that stand the test of time. Legendary French designer Christian Liaigre has died. Legendary French interior designer Christian Liaigre, known as the great minimalist, has passed away at 77. Since then, hes been a great source of inspiration to me, not only as a creative mind but also as an overall stylish yet humble human being.. There is only Christian and no one else., Remembering Christian Liaigre, Elle Decor ran an article with many close friends and interior design luminaries expressed their tribute to him. Because the Hamptons are the Hamptons, New York is New York, Paris is Paris, and son on. [11][12], cole nationale suprieure des Beaux-Arts, cole nationale suprieure des arts dcoratifs, "Christian Liaigre veut imposer son style au niveau international", "Legendary French Minimalist Designer Christian Liaigre Dies at 77", "A French Urban Planner's Furniture Collection for Holly Hunt", "Powerhouse Design Duo Pulls Off a Major Dallas Coup", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Christian_Liaigre&oldid=1105004862, This page was last edited on 18 August 2022, at 01:05. Liaigre believed that interior architecture and design should not depend on the latest fads and trends but embody timelessness, tranquil beauty, and subtle luxury. A triplex in Manhattans SoHo neighborhood designed by Christian Liaigre for Wendi and Rupert Murdoch, Oct. 6, 2005. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. He cared so about the details, high quality materials, and craftsmanship. Until then, there was no hotel cult like today. Over the last thirty years Christian Liaigre has made himself known by his refined, high quality work. I did not know him personally, though I pay tribute to the great artist he was. Pierre Yovanovitch, interior designer, Theres a stillness to his aesthetic thats welcoming and warm and his le de R residence captivates me most. At 77 years old, Liaigre had dedicated his life to building an influential career in the design world and had established a notable clientele base which included Calvin Klein and Karl Lagerfeld. The clients still cherish them to this day. Initially, the late designer only made furnishings but soon went on to develop entire interiors for residences, holiday homes, offices, as well as the cabins of jets and yachts. What a gem he was. Chanae Richards, interior designer, Although widely known for his hospitality design, Christian Liaigre was among the most influential and widely copied designers of furniture and residential interiors of the 20th century. The French creative and founder of design studio Liaigre died on Wednesday 2 September. This week we kicked off the Timber Revolution, Uruguayan architect Rafael Violy dies aged 78. When studio Liaigre announced their founder's death over Instagram, tributes poured in from notable industry figures. Visit the SuperYacht Times online shop to view and order the latest market reports and newspaper issues. Liaigre established his eponymous studio in 1985 and opened the doors to his first showroom on Rue de Varenne in Paris' seventh arrondissement. The designer Christian Liaigre in an undated photo. His keen sense of light and its influence on space, inspiration from local cultures and traditions, his meticulous research of the perfect materials for his furniture, coupled with his affinity towards artisanal work, Liaigre combined the art of subtle expression with great elegance. Hearst Magazine Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. We all still look up to him and thank him for his stewardship and understanding of whats importantand above all whats human. Lee F. Mindel, architect and interior designer, Liaigre is somewhere in the ether of our heroes at McMillenup there with Le Corbusier and Charlotte Perriand. Did he ever misstep aesthetically? I will be forever inspired by his visionary aesthetic. Shawn Henderson, interior designer, He was one of my earliest inspirations of my career and he will be sorely missed. You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link at the bottom of every newsletter. A must-visit in Paris, the new showroom opens in fall 2018 and will showcase the brand's newfound eclecticism. Liaigre initially started making furniture and then gradually designed entire interiors for holiday homes, residences, and even interiors of private jets and yachts. But his love for horses took him to his grandfather to help him breed racehorses. Unfortunately, it will not be possible. Cookie Notice Everything about him exuded a beautiful restraint and elegance and he made it all look easy. By browsing this site, you agree to the use of cookies to better take into account your interests. We will only use your email address to send you the newsletters you have requested.