Also, most rug backing is latex and will come apart in flakes, not in sand-like dust. Every now & again Id get a whiff of something but it was light & quick. I put a sm fan on a small table approx 5 ft from me head one nite cuz hot. Studies which use apparent soiling as a So a repair or even just a different yarn used in segments of a rug will often change appearance differently than their neighbors even in cases where the whole rug was exposed to the same conditions, say light, or wetting. by (mod) Normally carpet padding is constructed of man made or natural fibers, rubber, or urethane foam products. I didnt notice the stain until the landlord pointed it out at checkout. It seems that you are sure it is not microbes or any toxic material that leads to the color changes, right??? It looks like I can only send one image, so here you go: I have a tan (ish) colored carpet and these mysterious small spotty line pattern stains keep accumulating. If you lift the carpet and padding to expose the concrete floor slab below, are there cracks in the slab? Really? JavaScript is disabled. Categories . Further inspection for water damage, leaks, and mold would be appropriate if you see marks like this. Could this powder contain asbestos. I'll try to go to the dealer, if he is still there, and ask him about the situation but I doubt that he would tell me anything. Ihad carpet cleaned and the spray that protects from stain left dark places all over. In our photo at above left you can see the mark from a couch foot near the right side of the photo, cleaner carpet exposed below a floor runner, and darker stained carpeting that developed below this piece of furniture. appears to soil more than cut pile carpet. are used to recover soil. However after pulling carpet up more & doing some cleaning g (not long) I began sweat & when went out to cool down the sweat was this smell but powerful. Everyone denies spilling anything. When you say above what do you mean? . You might be in the same situation wondering what is going on with the underlay! Nance Carpet and Rug. THe light area looks as if something spilled in a spot and continued as a sort of dribble across the carpet. When I tried to remove them with Vanish, I could detect a smell. It is somewhat hard but can be scraped off and crumbles to dust. This will help to suppress dust. ft. 4.5 ft. x 48 ft. x 1/8 in. 5 simple steps to lay carpet underlay Step 1: Measure up First things first, grab a tape measure and take accurate measurements of the room. Yes, Im talking about the light stuff, not the dark.I agree that it is on top, and Im happy that you think it is a spill.The house has been empty for a bit, so thats confusing, but maybe she never noticed them before. About three years ago I bought a beautiful blue-white Peking rug from a dealer in Manhattan for my bedroom. Or maybe the stains became more visible with age.I was wondering if it was snails or slugs, or some other animal, but Ill happily go with the the more innocuous explanation.Thank you again! Nothing dates a home more quickly than dingy or stained carpeting, so if that spilled soft drink was the last straw, you may be tempted to rip out that old carpeting right on the spot, just so you . Under Carpet floors For a carpeted floor, the carpet underlay material (also called carpet pads) that would fit the best would be foam, rubber or felted fibers. What the hell is the sand-like dust under my rug, and why won't it go away? Hello Ive noticed this random patch which has gradually gotten bigger and darker in colour over the months, . Then see CARPET CONTAMINATION TEST PROCEDURE, Might Be Traced to Repairs, Use of Different Yarns, Methods of Original Construction, Exposure to Light, Moisture, or Water. Unlike the backer on some resilient flooring products or sheet flooring, carpet padding would not normally contain asbestos. On 2020-05-13 - by (mod) - tip for diagnosing these carpet stains. Those include liquids like (and NOT necessarily RECOMMENDED for carpet cleaning) dilutions of ammonia, bleach, lemon juice, laundry detergents, vinegar. Rugs and Carpets - Padding, Patsy Keller, [may be unavailable], Rug pulled out from recycling: carpet padding recycling is taking a big hit (polybrominated diphenyl ethers presence, Ed Thornhill, Construction & Demolition Recycling (Magazine/Journal), 2005, Tufted Carpet: Textile Fibers, Dyes, Finishes, and Processes, Von Moody, Howard L. Haber, [Quoting from Amazon], Our recommended books about building & mechanical systems design, inspection, problem diagnosis, and repair, and about indoor environment and IAQ testing, diagnosis, and cleanup are at the, Best Practices Guide to Residential Construction, by Steven Bliss. Where are the carpet or rug stains, what is their size, shape, color. Vacuum the area: Use the crevice tool to clean the dark area at the edge of your carpet. Amy,Use the email found at our CONTACT link at page bottom to send me some photos and I will comment further.If padding that's missing has straight-cut edges it was most likely cut-out, perhaps as soiled, damaged, moldy, peed-on.If carpet padding that's missing is in irregularly shaped tears, perhaps the carpet and padding was previously pulled-up from the floor in a condition in which some padding segments were stuck to the floor - also from one of the problems or conditions just cited. I began removing a carpet from my mothers apartment and found that the padding was in a powder form with a yellow orange color. Compare $ 322 39 /roll (1) Model# AD216. Continue readingat CARPET STAIN ID TESTS or select a topic from the closely-related articles below, or see the complete ARTICLE INDEX. These spots have mysteriously appeared in my small dressing room. We attribute this last odd case to occupant reporting errors. There could have been a spill, splash, pet pee, leaks, or something else. They're at the corners of the carpet. Was the carpet indeed wet - ever? What may cause this on my carpet its in my bedroom also. . The chances are that even if the underlay looks ok, it will turn to dust in a year or two if it is rubber. installed in the early 1950s. The best comfort underlay, again belongs to Plushwalk 12mm, . [Photos above - ed.]. What's the source of that handful of debris in your other photo? This will take care of the issue and protect the surface underneath. Your goal has to be to sweep away the dust and make the surface as clean as you can make it. I was swearing cuz the window was up airing out the room & it was 100 degrees so hot. Hes lost half his body weight since moving here. Laminate is also easier for allergies because it doesn't collect dust and dirt. Today I am coughing. The cost of carpet cleaning varies depending on your location and home size, but expect to pay about $0.20 to $0.40 cents per square foot, on average. I don't think it has anything to do with dirt filtering through the rug, but it has something to do with whatever the coating is on the bottom of the rug. On 2018-08-20 by (mod) - some carpet glues or mastic adhesives contained asbestos, Some mastic adhesives contained asbestos. You will not receive a notification when a response to your question has been posted. retention on carpet. I think it's the backing, and some have sort of, uh, exuviated this stuff for mere weeks, others for, as you say, months and months. Using a knife, ensure it is at the same level as the gripper rods by trimming out extra underlay. Were the stains on the underside of the carpet bigger or smaller or the same as the stains seen on the carpet upper surface? My landlord will not help in any way cuz they e not been able to smell what Ive spoke about. Its thick though. What could be the cause of this circular stain on my carpet? Try improving the amount of fresh air ventilation in your home to see if that helps. Any other kind of information I honestly dont have unfortunately. Glad to hear there is not much asbestos around in the carpet padding area. The carpet has never been wet. Underlayment for Laminate and Floated or Glue-Down Wood Floors. Uncategorized. Where possible, lightly wet the material prior to and during the removal . Look for the source or potential sources of abnormal levels of indoor airborne debris, soot, particles, dust, such as a malfunctioning oil or You will then have to cut through the backside of the carpet. Below: another large greenish stain on carpet with fairly defined edges, more-likely to be from a spill and an effort to clean it. Fiber carpet cushions or pads(above) may be made from natural fibers (such as jute, felt, or even horsehair), synthetic fibers (acrylic fibers, nylon fibers, polyesters, propylene fibers), or recycled textile fibers that may be a mix of natural and synthetic materials. See what you can find; else I am concerned that a lab analysis may not tell you what's needed which is causation. And that a new carpet (only a year or two old) still looks pretty clean. Questions & answers or comments about carpet padding & asbestos, mold, or smell problems, causes, solutions. Quite possibly. - PDF Document from NIS, What Style Is It? Underlay wears out over time, so you should replace it every time you buy a new carpet. Were not likely to make a fuss about this, but we are perplexed. nylon.32 However, no actual difference in soil retention among fibers appears to exist when gravimetric experiments - D.G. Are the carpet backing stains larger than the stains on the carpet surface? There is a slight possibility that some older hair felt-style underlay manufactured and Then, switch to the brush attachment and vigorously brush the area to loosen any sooty residue. In other research we cite below, Niemeyer (1994) discusses the chemistry of various carpet fabrics and how they respond to staining. Boschetti, Margaret. In this case we suspected that the We have a high-end filtration and humidity control system and own our home (we are very neat and clean). Pet hair? Well no. Source: flooring.sampoolman.com. Putty Knife Cleaner. Your rug shouldn't crawl. In our photo above, the two round blotches of mold growth were ultimately explained by spills on the floor in that area. Ask MetaFilter is a question and answer site that covers nearly any question on earth, where members help each other solve problems. Unless you object, I'll post these photos at an appropriate spot at InspectApedia, keeping your information completely private of course - to invite further comment from others some of whom may be more expert.