I know its hard, but you are uniquely qualified to win this thing. I disagree with San Antonio being diverse. Take our advice, hold that head high and do your thing. Im an African American male who was born, raised, and educated in the south. I want him in a good area where he is safe, if that makes sense. So glad I found this comment. What country have you considered? Employment (full weight): The difference in percentage points between the Black female employment rate and the white male employment rate in the locality. I currently live in Florida a want to relocate. What city/county schools are best? The metro area has repeatedly been recognized as the happiest, healthiest city in the U.S. Perfect right? Richmond boasts some of the best schools, both elementary and middle, for children about half of the population is made up of other families. In place of . It looks nice but they definitely make me feel unwelcome. Richmond is not the place you would want to raise a family. Overall great information. Ive been here six years to long. I think itll be the new Atlanta. Poverty Rate (full weight): The percentage point difference of the citys rate of Black women earning at or above the poverty level and the rate of all other women living above the poverty level nationally. My mother lives there and loves it and she is 76. Im a New Yorker so I think Ill check it out. I never experienced racism like I did here in Ohio. Atlanta is a super LGBT city. I relocated to Raleigh from Michigan 12 years ago. Single mom with kids in different colleges and different states. 5. Thirty minutes from Baltimore. Im currently looking to move after roughly 5 years of being here. Hi Ashlee, my name is Joe. Nearby Maryland is one of the best places for African American wealth. Low and behold, I googled this and my mouth dropped. I left New York 18 years ago, after 44 years of living in and growing up on Long Island. When posed that question, Dr. Lori Martin, a professor of African and African American studies and sociology at Louisiana State University, had this to say: "A livable place for Black women is safe, and for women with children, it is home to schools where all students have access to an excellent education. Its a mini Los Angeles. Get the latest news 24/7 on The Black Information Network. For family entertainment, check out some of the museums in Raleigh, like the African American Cultural Complex (AACC) which teaches visitors about the black peoples contributions to the city. It was no coincidence that 91% of voting black women voted for Joe Biden, and 92% of votes cast in D.C. went to Joe Biden. It was my 7 year old daughter and myself. You have access to the best food and entertainment. Hello, Im currently looking to move from Indiana but undecided what city to move to. But not a lot of culture like you see in the larger cities. Hows the state for a 29 year old single female? We are judged harshly and many places I have traveled mostly south, when I speak and they look at me like I spoke out of turn. And possibly, start a business (also, eventually start a family). I would love to know about schools ratings and jobs for my husband and myself. Just because a place is LGBT doesnt automatically make it not a good place. Very true. Im a Cali girl and although I love Cali, Im thinking about heading out. Naeema, you cant go wrong with either one. This is one of the locations I was looking into. Population 8,805. Wondering, where to go in Cali; Ladara heights, Baldwin hills, where?? I have a very sweet and sensitive child and the schools here are great!. I know there arent a bunch of black folks there, but Im curious about the racial climate in Portland, OR. Have you thought about Charlotte? I live in Seattle, was born and raised here. If you have found a decent area please let me know. We are currently looking to relocate for a different experience, more activities geared toward Black/African Americans and of course more reasonable costs. Very strange people. So it was very weird to see that black people dont speak. However, how are the MD elementary, middle, and high school system? My son is 3 and I dont want him to be raised here. Hello, I recently moved to Arizona in April 2019. Clarissa? Did you eventually settle down in Seattle? Atlanta is good but I think its an ideal city for black singles. Amen and amen again. Now the city is becoming more violent again so I am now trying to decide if I want to move deeper into the county, or leave the state all together. I am in Williamston NC and I am the process of moving out a year after I arrived. After reading through these I can say they are helpful to a single mom looking to relocate with a 9 year old. Nashville has numerous colleges and universities, such as Vanderbilt, Fisk, TSU, And MTSU, so there is a great appreciation for education and intelligence. Overall, hands down, and without a doubt, the best place for black women to live in America is Washington D.C. Spring weather kicks in late May early June. My nonverbal, autistic 3 year old was burned under clothes at a public school preschool program. The city had an especially high time score and workplace protection score. Here are Redfin's top metros for single mother home ownership, each of which is relatively affordable: McAllen, Texas -- 46.6% (homeownership rate among single moms, 2017); $165,000 (median home price, May 2019) Salt Lake City, Utah -- 41.7%; $335,000. Im on this site now because I am in the process of re-locating. 9 $51,168 Median Income for Single Mothers $106,921 It is 5-10 minutes on the border of Columbus. I will be graduating as an APRN and the laws are great for APRN there. Hello Tracey, Im a single mom. DC is expensive, so you will more than likely find yourself living in Maryland (Waldorf, Upper Marlboro, Bowie) to find somewhat decent schools and housing or you will end up in Virginia (Woodbridge, Fairfax, Manassas), both locations in MD and VA will often times leave you with a bad commute as traffic here is awful because everyone works mostly for the government (i.e., govt employee or contractor). The only saving grace I can see is that our genotype makes us uniquely capable to not only withstand this type of degradation, but to actually thrive within it! They take care of their seasoned population. Often the breadwinners for their families, they have the highest labor force participation rate for women and make up 21% of all women-owned businesses. Seattle is thriving which is also an alarm for overpopulation and polluting, making the city unrecognizable and more expensive. Currently live in Akron. Ive lived in Charlotte for over 25 years then moved to the smaller area of Concord where the schools are better. Moved away from Columbus area 20 years ago. Really would like more information about Columbus, Ohio as far as school system and which areas have low crime. My goodness from the sounds of it, it seems Seattle is not completely the go too destination for Black Americans which is unfortunate, but I can understand why this may be so. Weve been trying to decide on moving. What about the weather in North Dakota? West Virginia. If you see a school you would like your child to attend they can use the school bus. Not sure what to make of the Orlando area. This increases the worth of your expertise. Chestnut Hill is a very safe area to live in and a very cute town. There is an awesome group on Facebook though called black San Diego that shares info on black owned businesses and events. Other great schools are southwestern Hilliard Dublin Grove city public school. The FDICs Survey of Household Use of Banking and Financial Services showed that 13.8% of Black households were unbanked versus 2.5% of white households. Theyre no match for you, no matter how hard they try. Hi Robbin, kind of wondering where do new Englanders head to when moving LOL. Arguments For And Against. I was considering Columbus, Ohio or some place in Georgia but have my apprehensions about going south. I agree with everyone. I lived and raised my children in Greensboro. Ive been in Portland, Oregon for 20 years, originally from the Bay Area. Dr. Ukanwa shares additional solutions. It is not North Carolina. 34.13. My children are mixed and while I have done a lot of research some is very contradictory. I am looking to move to a much less expensive, safe, predominantly black retirement community in another state. Great for raising a family with Raleigh coming in second in my opinion. But there are tools and resources that can provide Black women economic opportunities and empowerment. Tracey, did you find your spot? I am originally from Atlanta but would like to learn more about your comment and sentiments. I started making it a habit that before I move somewhere I always look up the school ratings first. It is tough enough here. Im curious about what the criteria was for this list? Braselton. Weve lived here 5 years and its a great place to raise a family with lots to do. Ive searched long and hard, cant find a place better than Nashville. 8. I came across this site because I want to move next year, being that my daughter will be graduating and heading off to college. Any help is appreciated. I have heard great things about the HBCUs. I disagree with San Diego. Hope this helps. The school system can be great depending where you are. Only been here a year and I can attest to all of that. The article was about family. A strong sense of community to be accountable for the future of black children and the cost of living is fair. Im also a true Washingtonian and love more to get away from the state. They are all suburbs of the area with the best schools. Do you know where I may feel comfortable settling in Florida? I am constantly in situations where Im the only Black person in the room and Im not finding as many opportunities. I live in Dallas, Texas and have since 1982. The climate in Orlando is pretty warm, as it is in the center of Florida, so that is something to keep in mind. Chapel Hill Denver Colorado takes care if the elderly and retired people! While the socioeconomic realities of our current time touch all corners of the country, there are pockets of the U.S. where the wealth gap narrows and Black women have more opportunities. Here are the cities that 24/7 Wall St. says are the best for single moms based on its own affordability analysis: 1. Not a family oriented place to live. Im not religious, but the black gospel scene is huge as well (many gospel singers make Nashville home). 1. Any recommendations for a state/city (community) that is diverse and have good public schools? Definitely look at Tennessee, hear a lot of positive feedback when it comes to the cost of living for the elderly. Sacramento, Calif. and Buffalo, N.Y. followed Springfield, with final scores of 62.2 and 61.5, respectively. If you plan to come here, it would be best if you have a job waiting for you. I plan to leave. Hopefully, the traffic problems will be resolve with the big infrastructure plans. Rent is crazy high and cost of living will eat-up a paycheck. There are large Caribbean communities in the north east Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens. Staying put in Durham. In Corpus Christi, Black women face high poverty rates in absolute and relative terms, associated low income rates, and have the worst rate of health insurance coverage for Black women between 1864 of the cities analyzed. And home prices have shot through the roof with people coming from California. What cities do you recommend? Theres lots to do. 11! Like Houston, very good economy reasonable cost of living culture but its a hot place for singles! Cities considered had a Black woman population of at least 100,000. I am deciding between Houston, Atlanta, and Charlotte.