: Am, D, G, C. Chordify ist deine Nr. A low-budget sexploitation film called Models, Inc. was distributed by Philadelphia film executive Jack Harris. Kenny loved to sing. Clark looked like one of the kids. (Horn was 40 when he left Bandstand and Clark was a babyfaced 27.) Eventually AmericanBandstand deserted Philadelphia and moved three thousand miles away. All Theater Tickets. The engineers and announcers looked on with a mixture of envy and horror, and none of them reported what they saw to management. For those that don't like the watermark or the timer on the screen, please send your complaints on the back of an envelope or postcard to American Bandstand, Philadelphia, PA. Did you know she loved motor boating and skating? Collect, curate and comment on your files. Frank Spagnuola, a white Italian-American, was a Bandstand regular. This is but one of the many bitter memories that I and many of the people that I grew up with have about American Bandstand., Henry Gordon said in 1995 as he looked at an old photo of the kids at Bandstand: Anything that looks like a black face in this picture is probably a white face in the shadows. He also personally picked me up in South Philly and drove me to his record hops. Maybe this break-through occurred because that show was not broadcast nationwide, but only in California. Before long there were black kids dancing as regulars and American Bandstand was one of the few television shows where I would get to see black people as artists.. Horn loved jazz, especially Dizzy Gillespie, Erroll Garner and Sarah Vaughan, and he produced Vaughans first Philadelphia concert. Everybody knew the names of The Regulars on Bandstand. They were more interested in stations that played r&b all the time, and they stopped coming by their own choice., Deejay Jerry Blavat says: Blacks didnt go to public music events. Dave Feldman, a Bandstand dancer, suggests one reason why so many of the kids came from Catholic schools: They were taught that dancing was wrong, and especially that girls shouldnt dance on television, so they did it to rebel. Also, the closest school to the studio, geographically, was a Catholic one. Section GA Row GA. Monday, April 24, 2023 at 8:00 PM (4/24/2023) All prices are listed per ticket. He gave special attention to local singers including Sunny Gale, Gloria Mann, Georgie Shaw and Micki Marlo. With Clark, the program became more popular than ever. But Dorothy provided some shocking testimony, saying that she and Allison repeated their sexual acts on several other nights, and that he once asked her to drink some water and try to urinate on him. He announced that the luncheon was being postponed because there was a labor dispute at the restaurant and city officials didnt want to cross any possible picket line. It became integrated in 1957 because I elected to make it so, he was being outrageously simplistic. But at one gathering, one guy didnt follow the rule and went all the way. Dorothy she of the Allison incidents testified that she stripped and played a game called 69 with Wordens wife at Hound Dog Hill while guests took photos of the two of them together. Cuz Bongiorno became a regular at Bandstand early in 1953. always with one foot firmly on the . In this, he was way ahead of his time and ahead of whats seen in the show Hairspray. American Bandstand was an American music-performance show that aired in various versions from 1952 to 1989 and was hosted from 1956 un. On each program, Horn listed the top songs of the day, although there was no scientific survey. AU $5.00 (approx US $3.36)Australia Post International Economy Air. Because of the sex accusations, the drunk-driving and a jail term, there was no chance hed get another chance on the air in Philadelphia. His demeanor was haughty. Im happy to add their names here in the description if you give them to me, but please include the time marker so I can ID them. In the course of his probe Blanc discovered connections between many disparate people. He said Name your salary. So we asked our station manager for a release and he said hed talk to the stations owner. Self 1 episode, 1970 . After the indictment was announced, Adleman hastily wrote a press release to save the city from embarrassment. I would think, that with the off-season moves the dugout dance party will also end. Horn was a pioneer when he made the youngsters the stars of the show, and when he gave teenagers a forum to set their own standards of music, dance steps and style. It was just his shtick. Thats not what we experienced.. Menu. She met Elvis backstage before the show! Theres a dramatic difference between the description of Horn by his adult co-workers and what we hear from his teenage fans. This is the link to the first part. www.bandstanddiaries.com #americanbandstand #bandstanddiaries #nostalgia #philadelphia #book #author #coffeetablebook #popculture, From 1953 to 1959 Terry Schreffler danced on American Bandstand with Bob Horn and Dick Clark. Four months later, Horn was arrested on morals charges. In the news this week..Tomorrow, Saturday, August 12, Walter Ulbricht, leader of East Germany, will sign an order to close the border with West Germany. 10/11pm/midnight/1amLocal hero DJ Rich Reason will be taking to the decks from 7pm. One, a district attorneys re-election campaign. Tony Mammarella had to calm them down. But they werent there. Consequently, black teens were in effect erased from the national youth culture that formed aroundAmerican Bandstand. For more about your favorite dancers, read Bandstand Diaries. choosing to stay out of the limelight, we do know that she is a grandmother to 13 grandchildren. In 1950 WPEN moved into a modern new building at 2212 Walnut Street. His career was brought down by a teenage girl, but she did not come from the studio audience at Bandstand. Harris replaced the Kefauver footage with a new opening that he shot with Vic Blanc talking into the camera and warning the public of the dangers of sex. Jim Morris. These men were, you might say, realists. Maxine hollered rape. Barbara Marcen, a white regular, remembers a day when one black teenager tried to slow-dance with a white girl. American Bandstand Srie. That's why Elvis Presley and Ricky Nelson would never appear on the show, but movie stars - Jeff Chandler, Tab Hunter, Sal Mineo - came." Dancing came naturally to Sullivan, the way it did to all Regulars, she says. Ive never been sexually attracted to very young girls. 1964 - The Beach Boys - "Don't Worry, Baby". He said funeral services are pending. If we dont do something, theyll take over was the expressed fear. Steves a one-man F. B. I., Fearless Broadcast Investigator. The white kids had no problem with the new dress code. Allison and Horn were each acquitted, but neither one of them got their jobs back. Allison said it never happened and his wife provided him with an alibi, consisting of a log she kept of his activities. Buy Tickets for The SIX Show Fri, Jun 2, 2023 8:00 pm at Dick Clark's American Bandstand Theater in MO. Senator Estes Kefauver, who was running for Vice President in 1956. People would phone the station if they wanted to attend, and callers were told there was a six-month wait. THE USE OF ANY COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL IS USED UNDER THE GUIDELINES OF \"FAIR USE\" IN TITLE 17 107 OF THE UNITED STATES CODE. I dont think anyone kept them out; they just didnt come., Bunny Gibson was a dancer on the show for two-and-a-half years in the mid-50s. While on the show he often danced with Susan Beltrante and Ivette Jimenez. Did you know he helped launch The Oprah Winfrey Show? Today in our new blog post we hear from from Mickey (Bandstand) Cullen, a Regular from the #BobHorn days. People who hung out at WPEN learned that Allison had a yen for women who wore white, like waitresses and nurses. Soaring into popularity, she would receive 500-600 fan letters a week. Her cousin Tilda was head of the Committee and so she was able to get in regularly. The men who hung out with Horn fed him records by new artists and Horn was open to their suggestions partly because he knew it would help the show, and partly because he liked getting gifts from the song-pluggers. This, however, was basically a talent show and dancing was secondary. Since no black students went to school dressed like that, we couldnt get in anymore. The Inquirers publisher supported the work of the House Un-American Activities committee and its crusade against Communist sympathizers in the entertainment field. "American Bandstand" stars Kenny Rossi and Arlene Sullivan. Horn became a radio personality at Phillys WIP, then moved to WFIL in 1951 because that station offered more money and because FIL had a sister TV station (part of the ABC network) and Horn hoped for a future on television. Did you know she became a Regular the same day as Carole Scalderferri? Valino was convicted and his singing career virtually ended. Everyone in the country knew Kefauvers smiling image; virtually no one knew the ordinary, middle-aged face of Vic Blanc. She took a variety of dance lessons when she was young, including tap, modern and ballet. PT. Published 2003 in TotalTheater, copyright by Steve Cohen. Clark inherited WFIL's local television show Bandstand (1952-56) from the deejay Bob Horn, who proved that teenagers liked watching their peers dance. Stewart had no charisma and eventually was dropped from the program. Teenagers and young adults ran home from school to watch them jitterbug and stroll while they copied their fashions, fads and dance moves. The Bandstand dancers, on the other hand, were fond of him. Most of the American Bandstand guys are gone, replaced, coincidentally by Americans. ABC gave Bandstand color cameras and launched it on its network of 67 stations in August of 1957. #americanbandstand #bandstanddiaries #edkelly #dickclark #nostalgia #book, Here are Marilyn Brown and Diane Iaquinto. Picture is dated November 1960 on the back. To discredit Loiss reputation, the defense produced a man, with no connection to Horn, who testified that Lois once accepted money to have sex with him. Some of the regular boys all white started talking angrily among themselves about how theyd like to beat up the boy after the show. American Bandstand Original title: Bandstand TV Series 1952-1989 TV-G 1 h 30 m IMDb RATING 7.6 /10 367 YOUR RATING Rate Music Talk-Show Dick Clark hosts a daily to weekly dance show that features the latest hit music for the attending teens to dance to. He picked his own employee, Bob Horn, and copied from WPEN the idea of teenagers in the studio. Self - dance contest judge 1 episode, 1970 Mac Davis . Filmes Sries Pessoas Notcia. A funeral director in Newtown Square confirmed Monday night that Mrs. Spada had died, but declined to divulge the details before meeting with her family. BERTIE'S BANDSTAND. She was 17 years old. Horn developed a daily ritual of kids judging new records. Clark inherited WFILs local television showBandstand(1952-56) from the deejay Bob Horn, who proved that teenagers liked watching their peers dance. Jun 12, 2020 by apost team In 1964, Dick Clark was the host of the classic TV program American Bandstand . 95K subscribers Subscribe 10K 415K views 1 year ago Happy 60th anniversary of. On the day that Allison was indicted, he was about to receive an award for public service from the City of Philadelphia. Dirty Bertie was the debaucherous son of Victoria and Albert; every Tuesday our in-Haus trio take to the stage for an evening of easy listening.One week you might hear a band playing Django Rhinehart style Gypsy Jazz, the next week could be a Electronic Trio playing neo soul, the next a Montuno Cuban piano led trio and the week after could be Americana style three part . Clipp contacted Joe Grady and Ed Hurst, the hosts of Philadelphias most popular afternoon radio program, The 950 Club on WPEN and offered them a deal to switch over to his station and be on WFIL radio and TV simultaneously. The young dancers on American Bandstand were the reality stars of the 1950s and '60skids nationwide rushed home to watch their every move and chatter about their relationships and exploits. Who did Bob Clayton marry? Not long thereafter, it began broadcasting taped shows . This was her unique moral code. When I took over the programming of Menefees afternoon show in the summer of 1953, Menefee attacked me on the air. It was thought that he could bring some of his clients on board as advertisers. I never saw him drunk or rude or vulgar., Several of these men agree that they all were virgins then. Race and American Bandstand, The Seven-Year Itch: West Philly Loses American Bandstand, Report accessibility issues and request help. Blanc boasted that he had smashed the ring in local aspects and the FBI would clean up the interstate angles. Ill bet she knows more artists in the business than I do.. Annenberg asked Horn to confirm or deny that he knew the teenage girl who was cooperating with Blancs investigation. 56 American Bandstand 1969 Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images FILTERS CREATIVE EDITORIAL VIDEO 56 American Bandstand 1969 Premium High Res Photos Browse 56 american bandstand 1969 stock photos and images available, or start a new search to explore more stock photos and images. I didnt know anyone who had sex. Hooks has a white father and black mother, while Montgomery is white. Teenagers sat in rows on bleachers that were assembled on one side of the studio. Happy 60th anniversary of the 4th anniversary of Bandstand going national! Horn didnt act like a star, he says. There were trysts of another Jacobs model and another WPEN announcer, and other girls had encounters with a publicist and a photographer, respected professionals who were in love with their wives and felt they were just having some harmless, job-related fun on the side. Wordens parties included nudity and sexual promiscuity. Angel Chevrestt When cute young teenagers Arlene Sullivan and Kenny Rossi slow danced together on "American Bandstand" back in. Mary Ann Colella Baker was a freshman at Hallahan Catholic High School who started attending in 1952 when Bandstand was new: Horn was a perfect gentleman, the nicest person, she says. American Bandstand (TV Series 1952-1989) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more. www.bandstanddiaries.com #americanbandstand #bandstanddiaries #nostalgia #book #author #philadelphia, Charlette Russo danced on American Bandstand from 1955-1959. American Bandstand 1961 - 4th Anniversary Show (Partial Episode) - Former Dancers From Years Past YouCanDanceToit! Access the best of Getty Images with our simple subscription plan. All the photos from Horns last two years show nothing but white kids in the studio. In this part of the story well see what Bob Horn did that caused the ABC network and its Philadelphia affiliate to ignore the 50th anniversary of the programs start. On one of those jobs Lois gave oral sex to one of the Allison crowd for $40 and on another job had sex with a man for a hundred dollars, all this when she was 15 and in the midst of her relationship with Horn. Walter Annenberg, who owned WFIL and the Philadelphia Inquirer and TV Guide, asked his station manager, Roger Clipp, in the summer of 1952 to try a dance program aimed at teenagers. The show would air immediately after school when kids were home without parental supervision. This site is maintained by American Bandstand Dancers Hal L. Landau, Linda D. Gonzales & Bunny Gibson And American Bandstand Fan Club President David Frees 8,712 people like this 8,612 people follow this http://www.americanbandstanddancers.com/ Local Business Photos See all Videos See all 0:06 Available at http://www.bandstanddiaries.com and Amazon. When Blancs campaign was launched, friends of Walter Annenberg hoped that the DA would find some dirt on WPENs popular night-time talk host, Steve Allison, because Allison often criticized Annenberg and the Inquirer. We sent some 15,000 fan letters each week. Horn was arrested for drunk-driving on June 21, 1956 and was suspended from his broadcasts, then was forced to resign. At the time, I didnt know it was racism to go somewhere and not get let in. A small table was next to the hosts platform, where guest performers would sit and sign autographs. Dave Feldman, a Bandstand dancer, suggests one reason why so many of the kids came from Catholic schools: "They were taught that dancing was wrong, and especially that girls shouldn't dance on television, so they did it to rebel." Also, the closest school to the studio, geographically, was a Catholic one. The programs signature features were Philadelphia teens dancing to popular music and the portly Horn interviewing musical guests who lip-synced their latest hits on the show. I was so innocent that I thought they wouldnt stand in our way. Boards are the best place to save images and video clips. Linda Gonzales, Hal Laws, Bunny Gibson, Louie & Kathy Novoa,Lisette Stclaire & American Bandstand Producer Larry Klein at Reunion 11 . Despite Horns risk-taking, his sexual activities would never have come to light if it werent for two outside factors. She won 2 dance contests with Tex Connor jitterbugging and slow dancing. When they started dancing on American Bandstand it would take them an hour to get to the studio by bus and train. Fortunately for the station, when Horn got in trouble the clean-cut Dick Clark was on staff and able to take over. Tap into Getty Images' global scale, data-driven insights, and network of more than 340,000 creators to create content exclusively for your brand. I know there are a lot of American Bandstand fans that will be very excited to see this. I had such a crush on you all those years ago watching American Bandstand. The men sat on chairs against the walls of the studio and the girls sometimes knelt in front of them and pleasured them. Barbara Marcen Wilston danced at the show from 1953 to 1959. Carole Ann Scaldeferri Spada, 70, of Newtown Square, a regular dancer on American Bandstand from 1957 to 1961, has died. He usually brought some of his young clients with him and arranged dates photographic and otherwise for them. Hi Carmen, I'm 74 years old. Makes a great holiday gift for that American Bandstand fan you know! The Getty Images design is a trademark of Getty Images. But he was an ambitious politician. "American Bandstand," hosted by Dick Clark, made its national debut on 67 ABC affiliate stations on August 5, 1957, and became a powerful force in entertainment. A generation later, courts began to rule that a woman has the right to say no at any point in a relationship. The rest left to right are Barb Levick, Arlene DiPietro, Frani Giordano, and Janet Hamill. When I look at video of you dancing on the show, I still am awestruck. Clipp called Grady and me to his office, Hurst related, and asked us to start in two weeks. Horns radio program was called The Bob Horn Bandstand, which had a nice, alliterative sound. Egyptian American Society - Bay Area - First Picnic of 2023!!! The TV program AmericanBandstand was an icon in the entertainment industry, and an important driver of popular culture. But I had to take a double-take when they showed black people in the stands, she says. I may never be like @ThatKrazyK9, @RahneKallon or even @Leon_the_Fox in terms of dancers, but I at least had fun dancing on my birthday! Carmella Astrella. Then my crowd all sat down. A show where well-dressed teens gently bop around to the big hits while maintaining an appropriate distance apart hardly seems like it would be a hot bed of sexual experimentation, but American. Once or twice on each program, Horn would intone: Weve got company and a recording artist would appear on the set to lip-synch to his or her record. Models Inc. was based on a Senate investigation of modeling schools, and in its original form the film opened with a statement by U.S. Accordi per American Bandstand 1968 - TOP 10 - Love Is Blue, Paul Mauriat & His Orchestra. Register or Buy Tickets, Price information. Organize, control, distribute and measure all of your digital content. Philadelphias broadcasting sex scandal of 1956 was an early object lesson. Famous Hooks had known Clark for 40 years and says he never saw the man so upset. He said If you care enough to want to go to my dances, Ill drive you., Jerry Blavat started coming to the show in 1953 when he was only 13.